azoele
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong Veloce impressions

Postby azoele » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:05 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm

There's a few videos out there, threads here on forum and instructions on gong site how to sand the TE on the wings to eliminate whistle.

It takes me 20 min. You need sanding block, 180-240-400-800 grit wet /dry ( black) sandpaper. Water. ,

The gong wings are very solid construction, better than most. And price is so competitive, that I'm willing to sand them.
My friends m pro clear didn't whistle, but my Mpro and Veloce did. Now totally silent.

Hade one wing of 4 from Moses whistle, due to pin holes in clear coat on surface of wing. That was harder to fix. Had to paint whole wing. And it cost 2x the gong.

About ride. I have been on 90 cm mast almost 4 years, so switch to 100cm could be part of increased difficulty. Feeling was that it was less roll stable, but flying foot switchs were not a problem. Too early to tell whether Veloce is preferred over m Pro.
Hi Tom,

didn't want to give the impression I am lazy, or worse, that I feel entitled to an absolute non-whistling foil from Gong.
It's just that I am, unfortunaly, really – but really – bad at manual work of this kind, and would never approach it on a new foil for fear of damaging it.If it whistles, than it's a problem as it'd force me to do the sanding with unpredictable results
:oops:

I'm really considering the Gong (and I like being a bit against the grain: lots of Moses at my spot now...).
Can I ask a couple of other things?

1) how would you rate the Gong mast vs the Moses, i.e. rigidity, finish, longer term reliability?

2) have you tried mixing Veloce Wing with the Surf stab? (there are no veloce stabs available anymore on the Gong site :D )

Thanks again for sharing.
Lopi

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Hej Lopi,

30 km session today 10-12 knots. 9m Hyperlink on 20m lines. 30 - 50 cm wind chop.
After sanding it's totally silent. Maybe you can get someone you trust locally to do it.

The build quality seems better than Moses. More solid laminat. Surface finish is top notch.
Caveat: silk screened big gong logo is cracked in ink. It's totally cosmetic. I was silk screener in younger days, it's common problem. Ink too thick on large area. It shrinks when drying, then cracks.

I'm using Veloce 43 cm stab. I have not tried any other stab with it. I would not recommend it. Why? Because it works brilliantly As it is.

It was Magic. It's not that much faster in straight line. But in carves it's much faster and keeps speed through the carve. It's more agile in yaw and roll than m pro at moderate speed, but more stable at higher speed. Roll stability is lower, but now I'm feeling that it's better because it's easier to turn just using ankles and yaw. Pitch stability is same as m pro with 40 cm surf stab, more stable than Mpro with cm kite stab.

100cm mast is definitely better than 90 cm mast. That was my main motivation to getting this. It's a huge difference going into and completing aggressive carves in both directions. I did many heel to toeside upwind carves and never breached. I could really fast and drive hard at an angle upwind. With Mpro on surf stab, I'm breaching front wing tip a lot or digging board edge in. With m pro and kite stab, it washes out.

Today I felt I will never go back to Mpro.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Flyboy (Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

azoele
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm
Hej Lopi,

30 km session today 10-12 knots. 9m Hyperlink on 20m lines. 30 - 50 cm wind chop.
After sanding it's totally silent. Maybe you can get someone you trust locally to do it.

The build quality seems better than Moses. More solid laminat. Surface finish is top notch.
Caveat: silk screened big gong logo is cracked in ink. It's totally cosmetic. I was silk screener in younger days, it's common problem. Ink too thick on large area. It shrinks when drying, then cracks.

I'm using Veloce 43 cm stab. I have not tried any other stab with it. I would not recommend it. Why? Because it works brilliantly As it is.

It was Magic. It's not that much faster in straight line. But in carves it's much faster and keeps speed through the carve. It's more agile in yaw and roll than m pro at moderate speed, but more stable at higher speed. Roll stability is lower, but now I'm feeling that it's better because it's easier to turn just using ankles and yaw. Pitch stability is same as m pro with 40 cm surf stab, more stable than Mpro with cm kite stab.

100cm mast is definitely better than 90 cm mast. That was my main motivation to getting this. It's a huge difference going into and completing aggressive carves in both directions. I did many heel to toeside upwind carves and never breached. I could really fast and drive hard at an angle upwind. With Mpro on surf stab, I'm breaching front wing tip a lot or digging board edge in. With m pro and kite stab, it washes out.

Thanks Tom!
Although, you made decision-making harder :D

The Gong looks very beautiful, has a very understandable wings/stabs line, is affordable, and tickles me because I just like to be different... :roll:
Was leaning towards the L Pro (as suggested by the nice people at Gong due to my mass, and the fact I also like very light wind), but your description of the veloce makes it something very different from the Onda 633 I'm using (Gong support explained that M Pro gives 633 like feeling), and it really is piquing my curiosity!

Thank you again for taking the time to share.
Lopi

P.s.
I may find people willing to sand it for me – they worked on race motorbikes so are not new to carbon – but I'd be out one favour then :D

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Interesting review Tom.

The Gong carbon mast looks like it's very wide, especially under the board. This presumably allows it to be much stiffer overall?

I find that I can get the Mpro going pretty fast, working the kite & keeping my weight flexible with bent knees in order to control the foil - more like a racers stance. But it reaches a point where you start to feel the foil resisting more speed. I would expect the Veloce to be a bit more "slippery"?

I have a 100cm carbon foil with a 700cm wing. I haven't used it for a while because I have been focused on improved my gybes using the Mpro. I never managed to successfully gybe the carbon foil, so I only know what it feels like it a straight line/carving, where it definitely feels somewhat faster & more slippery than the Mpro. The longer mast adds precisely an extra 10cm of breaching security, as you would expect, but I have no idea how it compares when it comes to carving turns. Perhaps I will take it out & give it a try tomorrow.

How does the "clear" finish on the Veloce compare with the Mpro?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:06 am

The mast is stiffer for sure. Primarily if to have board upside down and push down on wing tip the mast " bows" much less to the side. Twist is also stiffer but not as much a you would think.
Kinda makes sense.

I have to emphasize that the differences in Mpro to Veloce are small. It's like you've taken your car and trimmed the motor for + 40 HP and suspension to make it tighter. It's the same car.
But it goes a bit faster, better acceleration, better in turning.

Have not had chance to do speed runs, but Veloce is more comfortable at approaching 20 knots. It's easier to get to 20 for sure. Getting more takes more cajones, and that's on me.

Wing def has less drag feeling at speed. More glide.

The longer mast is making a big difference too.

The clear finish is a satin finish, not gloss. But it looks great. Doesn't really matter to me.

Will try to post video later.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Flyboy (Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:21 pm

I cant figure out which video format is permitted.

iwave
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Trying to improve at freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory
Been thanked: 0

Postby iwave » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:01 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm
Hej Lopi,

Since you tried both the Curve Pro M (with the Surf stab 40cm) and the Veloce Pro M (with the Veloce stab 43cm), perhaps you could tell us which foil setup would be better suited for which type of rider/riding and conditions, let's say using the carbon Pro mast 100cm?
For example, would you say the Veloce M is a more polyvalent foil, better suited for most, unless you are into waves and then the Curve M would be better suited?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Since you tried both the Curve Pro M (with the Surf stab 40cm) and the Veloce Pro M (with the Veloce stab 43cm), perhaps you could tell us which foil setup would be better suited for which type of rider/riding and conditions, let's say using the carbon Pro mast 100cm?
For example, would you say the Veloce M is a more polyvalent foil, better suited for most, unless you are into waves and then the Curve M would be better suited?
[/quote]

Too early to say. But Veloce is more performance oriented. The difference I'm feeling at this point is that they are both suited to same. Just that Veloce requires a bit more attention, but rewards with better performance in carves if you commit.
I've not yet tried Curve Pro M on 100 cm mast.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Does the "clear" carbon wing of the Veloce seem different in any way - weight, stiffness, strength - from the MPro?

I've been out in pretty light winds over the last month or so & this has resulted in quite a few swims & having to retrieve my board from the shoreline. The MPro construction seems to hold up very well to the smacking around in the surf.

Yesterday I dropped the kite in light wind & couldn't relaunch it, which resulted in a long swim in separated from my board. It's a big, pretty much deserted bay & after washing ashore I set out to find my board. Usually this is not too difficult as the board sticks up in the shallows, but after an hour of walking up & down the sandy bay I could not find it. I started to get worried. Further downwind there was about 800 metres of rock face which would probably have trashed the foil & which was almost impossible to negotiate. Eventually, I went back upwind & saw a woman standing on the beach looking towards me. As it turns out, she had seen the board in the surf an hour earlier & had picked it up & placed out of sight on the rocks.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm
Does the "clear" carbon wing of the Veloce seem different in any way - weight, stiffness, strength - from the MPro?

I've been out in pretty light winds over the last month or so & this has resulted in quite a few swims & having to retrieve my board from the shoreline. The MPro construction seems to hold up very well to the smacking around in the surf.

Yesterday I dropped the kite in light wind & couldn't relaunch it, which resulted in a long swim in separated from my board. It's a big, pretty much deserted bay & after washing ashore I set out to find my board. Usually this is not too difficult as the board sticks up in the shallows, but after an hour of walking up & down the sandy bay I could not find it. I started to get worried. Further downwind there was about 800 metres of rock face which would probably have trashed the foil & which was almost impossible to negotiate. Eventually, I went back upwind & saw a woman standing on the beach looking towards me. As it turns out, she had seen the board in the surf an hour earlier & had picked it up & placed out of sight on the rocks.
Same robust construction. I had to use my wife's smaller car and remove wings for transport. Had to use a rubber mallet on TE of front wing to get it off. I already sanded them down to half the thickness they were. Despite some pretty heavy hits, i didn't damage anything. The Moses would not have taken that abuse.
Wing shape is flatter with less anheadral and tip tuck, and thinner tips, so tips will be inherently more fragile.

Weight is lower i Think, but it has way less overall volume.

Return to “Hydrofoil”