Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Taaroa Sword 1 Foil
Mike's Lab foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner roll issues riding switch

Postby sshantt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:03 am

I've been learning to foil on a race foil (unsuccessfully), and recently switched to a beginner foil. My first day on the beginner foil was a huge success. I was able to get on the foil endlessly, go sidewind and extreme upwind by leaning the foil and lowering my kite. It was almost like going against the wind. Absolutely ridiculous.

My weakness was riding on my unnatural direction. I could do it as well as steer and everything, but the board kept wanting to fall (roll) backwards. I would have to put extreme toe pressure on my back foot, even to the point where I'm lifting my heel, to keep it from falling to the side. It gets tiring after a while.

As well as that, I feel like in some cases I can't relax front foot heel and toe pressure riding switch. It becomes like a pendulum going back and forth.

Towards the end of my session this did get a bit better on both fronts. I feel like this might be something that will sort itself out with a bit more weight placement confidence on my part when riding switch. But I was wondering if someone knows what I'm doing different/wrong when riding switch

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Beginner roll issues riding switch

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 am

I think it's pretty normal to be stronger on one tack. Weighting is critical & at first it feels very difficult to stay balanced, but the more you ride the easier it will become to find & maintain the "sweet spot" & the more relaxed & natural it will all feel.

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 am

Yes, increasing your non-dominant side to be equal/close to your dominant side is a skill.
I like to practice on a surfboard because the falls are less extreme. Work on small, quick turns. Big deep carves. Toeside. This will give you tools to control power and angle on the foil.
Then do same drills on foilboard.
Be comfortable riding your board on the surface to give you a break and a friendly way to go downwind.
On land, get into your dominant foot forward position, bend knees, flex, rotate hips. Now, weak side. What feels different? Are you stiff in hips and shoulders with less mobility? Stretch.
My dominant foot forward, I can ride overpowered, underpowered, or rigged right. On weak foot forward, that window is smaller.

You mentioned going up wind at extreme angles. Sometimes, that indicates a new foil rider rigging too big of kite. Rigging the smallest kite you can keeps power in control.
These users thanked the author wheat for the post:
sshantt (Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

sshantt
Rare Poster
Mike's Lab foilboard

Postby sshantt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 pm

wheat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 am
Yes, increasing your non-dominant side to be equal/close to your dominant side is a skill.
I like to practice on a surfboard because the falls are less extreme. Work on small, quick turns. Big deep carves. Toeside. This will give you tools to control power and angle on the foil.
Then do same drills on foilboard.
Be comfortable riding your board on the surface to give you a break and a friendly way to go downwind.
On land, get into your dominant foot forward position, bend knees, flex, rotate hips. Now, weak side. What feels different? Are you stiff in hips and shoulders with less mobility? Stretch.
My dominant foot forward, I can ride overpowered, underpowered, or rigged right. On weak foot forward, that window is smaller.

You mentioned going up wind at extreme angles. Sometimes, that indicates a new foil rider rigging too big of kite. Rigging the smallest kite you can keeps power in control.
Brilliant. This is great advice. Thanks.

My kite was perfect for the wind that day. Had to work it a bit on the board but once on the foil, I could easily park it. I could only get extreme angles when I bend my knees and really angle the board upwind. I was also able to easily go downwind when I wanted to :)

When going switch, I do drop the board to the surface every once in a while to relax my leg muscles. I put so much toe pressure that I feel like my leg is about to cramp up.

I'm going to try your on land advice before I go out again though. I think that'll help
These users thanked the author sshantt for the post:
wheat (Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 am)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Are using straps? If so get rid of them. Problem solved.

sshantt
Rare Poster
Mike's Lab foilboard

Postby sshantt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 pm
Are using straps? If so get rid of them. Problem solved.
I am using straps! I feel like if I was able to push my back foot further into the strap, it would stop me from having to put so much toe pressure. Should I just remove the back strap? Is it going to get very difficult all of a sudden if I do that?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 pm

sshantt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 pm
Should I just remove the back strap? Is it going to get very difficult all of a sudden if I do that?
Just take your back foot out of the strap and ride with it just in front of the strap. It's easy and comfortable. I often ride that way. When riding toeside it allows me to place my back foot past the center of the board giving me better control.

And when you start to jibe or tack you will find it easier to start with your back foot already out of the strap so it doesn't have to move as far to get into the front strap.

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
sshantt (Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm)

sshantt
Rare Poster
Mike's Lab foilboard

Postby sshantt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm

cglazier wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 pm
When riding toeside it allows me to place my back foot past the center of the board giving me better control.
That is exactly what I need; back foot slightly past the center line. I'm going to try not using it next session and then removing it all together

Return to “Hydrofoil”