Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Light wind Foil Transition tips

Postby tanre » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:45 pm

I am an intermediate foiler who would love to avoid the dreaded self-rescue in LIGHT winds. The specifics I have questions and confusion about has to do with best techniques for transitions.

Can anyone help:

The board and actual transition: Logic would dictate that we make as sharp as a 180 degree turn as possible, as the longer carving turn would slack the lines and have the kite drift, which in light winds seem to be an issue. So, do we 180 pivot our board/body rather than turn so to keep line tension? Can we successfully carve a slower turn while keeping line tension?

The kite: Most everyone agrees that downlooping is the way to go, but for me, in the beginning, I had a better chance keeping the kite in the air by a slow power stroke. That kept my line tension…well, sometimes. Now, I am a bit better at foiling, but still don’t know what technique is best because the lines slack often. So,

Option 1: Prior to transition, bring kite high up (close to 12 and starting SLOW downloop? Advantages: maybe keeping more tension? Disadvantage: hitting kite tip in water and not being able to relaunch.

Option 2: Quick downloop: Seems here, most of the time my lines still slack.

Option 3: quick downloop with the kite ending in an upstroke. So far, this seems ok, with less slack. Option 4: medium speed downloop with kite ending in upstroke. This seems to be the best option through my own failed attempts.

Option 4: Carving redirection of kite: Similar to surfing in the power zone; throwing your kite 180 in opposite direction with a quick pivotal point (as opposed to bringing kite up to 12 and down again in a power stroke). This has worked sometimes without slacking the lines, but not consistently.

What the brain trusts opinion?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Light wind Foil Transition tips

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 pm

If you ride a very fast wing, downlooping might work the best.

Otherwise, for the typical bigger wings most ride today, I prefer to turn the kite up, also in marginal winds 4-6 knots.

Ride upwind quite a lot, and kite quite low first, but not so low that you lose speed.

Then you begin the upstroke, while you carve around very tight as you say.

The timing precisely here is EVERYTHING, when you got it nailed, you can carve and jibe in ridiculously low wind :rollgrin:

Use a tad longer lines, this way you will be able to keep power for longer through the carve.

When you reach the other side, the kite has been up around 12 and going slightly down again, giving you the needed power to switch your feet.

OR, carve back again, same thing, you need tight lines, meaning a tight carve and preferably longer lines in really light wind.

The advantage of this, as opposed to the downloop, is, no matter if you screw up or wind suddenly drops, you don't risk getting the kite in the drink :thumb:

8) Peter

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Firewire, SS, Lift, Gin, Kitech, Switch

Re: Light wind Foil Transition tips

Postby geokite » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:05 pm

I downloop my kite for gybes in light wind, riding a 1200cm^2 wing. Edge against the kite to give the kite the wind pressure to get high, switch feet (or not), downloop the kite, timing the kite to aim straight down when you ride at the kite. Keep turning the board so you can edge against the kite as soon as possible.

Having the kite high when you ride at the kite is key, as the kite has height (to avoid the water), and the kite's lift is countering it's weight more. Having the kite aim down when you ride at the kite minimizes the kite slowing down/stopping, due to the reduced apparent wind on the kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”