Your minimum wind for good waveriding?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Your minimum wind for good waveriding?

Postby sflinux » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:55 pm

As you are aware, the low end has to do with the power of the wave, making you overtake the speed the kite can go in light winds, making the kite fall from the sky. I wonder if instead of using a kite, but using a large wing, would get get you out wave riding in down to 7 k. Gong has a 9M Super Power wing coming out, which for a 65-85 kg rider has a posted wind range of 7-13 k. A wing has the advantage of over kite, as once you are on a wave, you don't have to worry about outrunning it, or it falling out of the sky. I am curious as to the light wind performance of wings compared to kites. I would think that for light winds, you would want to use the largest of hydrofoils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bby23j4S4Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLmKTGs043c

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Yes, the speed of the wave makes a difference.

But as I see it, actually in a good way, unless onshore winds.

If the wind is sideon to sideshore, then the wave speed will give you even more apparent wind, which means your "felt" wind will be almost from the side, ninety degrees to the waves, which makes it really good, and also more power present.

In dead onshore wind it is different indeed, but talking about typical waveride conditions, sideon to sideshore.

Dont know about wingfoil, riding myself yes, but I doubt it will work that well in 7 knots :roll:

Today, out with 3 and 4 m2 kites in waves, EVERYTHING was easy, but that is a totally other setup.

My question was at which windspeed you feel you can not ride DTL on the wave nomore?

For me it is around 11 knots it goes from fine to no good :wink:

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:24 pm

sflinux wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:55 pm
(...)
I wonder if instead of using a kite, but using a large wing, would get get you out wave riding in down to 7 k. Gong has a 9M Super Power wing coming out, which for a 65-85 kg rider has a posted wind range of 7-13 k. A wing has the advantage of over kite, as once you are on a wave, you don't have to worry about outrunning it, or it falling out of the sky. I am curious as to the light wind performance of wings compared to kites.
(...)
Don't want to rain on your parade, but once you outrun the wing a bit, then it is not self supported anymore, and you have a heavy 9m Wing to prop overhead, trying your best to keep its tips out of the water. Sure, it won't catastrophically fall out of the sky, but it will never qualify for good waveriding, with the sense of freedom of movement that we usually attach to that concept.
It might have the advantage over a kite when surfing straight upwind, because in this case the extra apparent wind will keep the wing supported and neutral, while fully depowered, and not impacting your trajectories as much as a kite.

Anyway, after a lifetime of windsports, I'm deeply convinced that things only get properly fun at 4Bft and above. Similarly snowsports aren't that fun on flat slopes, and (I guess) motorsports aren't that fun under a certain amount of horsepower.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:24 pm
Anyway, after a lifetime of windsports, I'm deeply convinced that things only get properly fun at 4Bft and above. Similarly snowsports aren't that fun on flat slopes, and (I guess) motorsports aren't that fun under a certain amount of horsepower.
I vote 5Bft!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:52 pm

4 beaufort is the sweetsport for a 5 m2 Peak4, so it makes sense bragnouff :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 am

bragnouff wrote:
and (I guess) motorsports aren't that fun under a certain amount of horsepower.
If you’re trying to drag race a Honda Apr 125, then no. But is you’re canyon carving.... hell yes! 😀

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:49 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 am
bragnouff wrote:
If you’re trying to drag race a Honda Apr 125, then no. But is you’re canyon carving.... hell yes! 😀
See, I'm quite disconnected from motorsports, I didn't know what canyon carving is about, but my point is still valid, you wouldn't do any of that with a moped or a low powered bike, and if it's a steep mountain road, then it becomes a gravity based sport.
There has to be some level of potential energy to tap into, otherwise it becomes just a workout.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:50 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:49 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 am
bragnouff wrote:
See, I'm quite disconnected from motorsports, I didn't know what canyon carving is about, but my point is still valid, you wouldn't do any of that with a moped or a low powered bike, and if it's a steep mountain road, then it becomes a gravity based sport.
There has to be some level of potential energy to tap into, otherwise it becomes just a workout.
Canyon carving = riding around twisty roads. Honda Ape is a hoot to throw around corners, being such a low-powered bike (like a moped) doesn't matter. Some of the fastest riders I've seen up in the mountains here have been on silly small "underpowered" bikes.

Of course ... they aren't going to have much fun drag racing them, but -- right tool for the job. I wouldn't want a Hayabusa for my local mountain roads.

happytrees
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 am

Hello Peter and crew. I don't foil but I hit a 'wall' as you describe at around 15knts on 12m LEI wave kite and surfboard DTL. The wave here is usually wind swell and you need at least some line tension so you can dive/move kite to generate speed too stay on the wave.

Does a lighter kite make a difference? Lower the windspeed threshold?
The reason i ask is to do with the hype of Aluula. Am wondering if Aluula will make a difference in the conditions you are describing DTL?
I don't really want to get bigger kite. All help appreciated :)

Below is a link to vid with some light wind DTL technique (not foil)

https://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-n ... p-510ft-2/

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:01 am

That is really impressive in such low wind and big kite (but wind not onshore, it is side-on).
Haven't seen unhooked riding for years.

I don't think I will be able to ride like that on a hydrofoil though :-?

Not sure a much lighter tube kite would drift that much better, but it would turn faster.
Which does not help if you ride unhooked and parked kite.
Maybe a big Peak4 kite could do the job of drifting for you?

Do anyone else in here practice this kind of parked kite riding on a hydrofoil in light wind?

I don't (can't), need to work the kite some, when riding waves in 10-12 knots :wink:
Could also be my lack of skill, I know...

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”