wingfoiling...?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cosmo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wingfoiling...?

Postby cosmo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Im the only one who think wingfoiling have more in common with windfoiling than kite?
...ok? manufacturers

I dont have any interest, nor any condicion in my local spot to incentivate me to try...slower than my foil, no harness (arms all day?), not have any single peace of equipment in common with a kite beyond the wetsuit.

...ok yes, the same industry, dealers, etc.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: wingfoiling...?

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:38 am

Try it.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Yes, you may be the only one.

After foiling about 3 years and launching with kiters, I started winging and launching with the windsurfers. We have very little in common. He don't chat on the beach, they take forever to rig. They are always re-rigging and complaining about the wind. And they are constantly annoyed at me and jealous of me at the same time. They do envy me doing circles around them and screaming upwind of them, and screaming downwind of them. Speed wise we are about the same on a reach.

I'm must fast kite foiling than wing foiling. I do think that winging is a cross between kite foiling and wind foiling. It is sort of the best of both worlds. But, separate enough to where both groups don't really like per se or identify with the wingers. Separate and distinct.

No that my wing boards are getting smaller and smaller, I can wing and kite on the same board, difference of course only being a kite or wing. The same isn't true windwinging. Kite foil and wing foil have good crossover, but windfoil doesn't, accept maybe for my Moses 1000 foil. That may be the only similarity, but that foil spans the 3 sports.

Regarding no harness, I love mega 4 hr weekend sessions (2 each at 2 hrs) in strong winds with no harness. It really isn't tiring. I get bored before I get tired. It is a better workout than kiting (think riding your bike kind of workout) and I appreciate have a more bulky upper body. But, there are those who use a harness anyway so it isn't a good or bad - it isn't an issue, more of a choice.

But, like many sports, we prefer you don't try because it ends up just taking more of our parking.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:41 pm

cosmo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 pm
Im the only one who think wingfoiling have more in common with windfoiling than kite?
...ok? manufacturers

I dont have any interest, nor any condicion in my local spot to incentivate me to try...slower than my foil, no harness (arms all day?), not have any single peace of equipment in common with a kite beyond the wetsuit.

...ok yes, the same industry, dealers, etc.
You are right! Handling the wing is very similar to a windsurfing sail and riding the hydrofoil is similar to surf foiling, sup foiling. Wing foiling also uses similar foils as sup and surf foiling.

The only similarities with kiteboarding is that you also ride on water and that just like a kite, the wing is inflatable.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02 pm

I think it is has a lot in common with all other wind and/or wave watersports.

Windfoil, windsurf, kitefoil, wavekitesurf, surf, foilsurf.

It is quite different from all above, but somehow gives you the "best" of most of above - difficult to explain if you havent tried/learned yet :naughty:

Maybe that is why I love it so much :thumb:

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02 pm
I think it is has a lot in common with all other wind and/or wave watersports.

Windfoil, windsurf, kitefoil, wavekitesurf, surf, foilsurf.

It is quite different from all above, but somehow gives you the "best" of most of above - difficult to explain if you havent tried/learned yet :naughty:

Maybe that is why I love it so much :thumb:

8) Peter
The board/foil aspect of Wing foiling may have similarities with other foiling sports but the wing handeling is closer to windsurfing and has nothing in common with flying a kite.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 am

with wing foiling you become the mast and ever so close to the power source, its incredibly direct. most who try will not look back and kites will become almost extinct expect for those that love raw power for amazing acrobatics,

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:16 am

marekmk wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 am
with wing foiling you become the mast and ever so close to the power source, its incredibly direct. most who try will not look back and kites will become almost extinct expect for those that love raw power for amazing acrobatics,

Hmmm, not so sure about that :roll:

For some yes they might only wing, but for others they can co exist just fine, both kitefoil and wingfoil :thumb:

I might eat my words in a few years, but I can not see how wingfoil can ever get close to the kitefoil fun you can have in lighter and especially much lighter wind.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
windmaker (Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:32 am

also wing foiling is so in many ways so much more physical with all that pumping to experience the endless rides in low winds.......

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:51 am

I find it has some connection to kitesurf also, as the pull when you pump/start with a wing is also directed "up", which it is not with windsurf, where the sail pulls almost horizontal like most sailboats.

And when wingfoiling, you can change this angle just like when you kitesurf, kite high or low.

If sufficient wind, you can angle the wing totally vertical, to go max upwind, just like you fly a racekite down for max upwind.

And when overpowered, you can ease the wing up to horizontal, just like a kite can be flown towards zenith, to ride heavy winds out.

Also the way you jibe, you can go into a jibe with power throughout, or not, just like with a kite that can be flown deep in the window giving power all the way, or held high to spill power.

Very similar to me, in some aspects more than compared to windsurf, eventhough we agree, also very similar in other aspects yes.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”