Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

America's Cup: Kite vs two AC75's

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slyde
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: America's Cup: Kite vs two AC75's

Postby Slyde » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 am

That was my backyard, we've been watching the AC boats train and I can see them every day out of my office window, some of the guys have lined them up on occasion, and these are guys who know how to do 30 knots. They are awesome beasts and spank a kitefoiler on every point of sail. The distances they cover at high speeds are totally different from a kitefoiler. Its a no-contest once they power up and I can look out my window and it seems like there is no wind yet they are at top speed. They seem to foil up at less than 4 knots breeze. When they race its gonna be something else. You forget how big they are until you get up close...quite scary actually.
These users thanked the author Slyde for the post:
edt (Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:36 am)
Rating: 8.33%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:42 am

davesails7 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 am

Why do you think the AC75 would have more of an advantage in light wind? I thought it would be the other way around. Since kiters can choose a huge kite (now 23m and 25m), the wind speed doesn't have much of an effect on speed upwind or downwind
Seems like they are faster at every wind speed. I was just joking that the only way a kiter wins is if it blows 25 knots then they have to come off their foils so the boat doesn't explode from the pressure.

They still look like a giant desert lizard lifting one leg. Magnificent but very weird.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Local Beach: Reservoirs in Colorado, U.S.
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, CrazyFly, Ozone, Volkl, Gath, and SeaSpecs.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:44 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:42 am
davesails7 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 am

Why do you think the AC75 would have more of an advantage in light wind? I thought it would be the other way around. Since kiters can choose a huge kite (now 23m and 25m), the wind speed doesn't have much of an effect on speed upwind or downwind
Seems like they are faster at every wind speed. I was just joking that the only way a kiter wins is if it blows 25 knots then they have to come off their foils so the boat doesn't explode from the pressure.

They still look like a giant desert lizard lifting one leg. Magnificent but very weird.
From AC75 on Wikipedia:

Due to the hydrofoils movement resemblance to the like of amphibian's it is nicknamed the "toad boat".

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:19 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:44 pm

From AC75 on Wikipedia:

Due to the hydrofoils movement resemblance to the like of amphibian's it is nicknamed the "toad boat".
HA !
"toad boat" , that that , (Goes like Hell) across the water !!! :thumb:

Bille

Return to “Hydrofoil”