A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Johnnyrotten204
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Wakefoiling with no rope technique

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 am

Hey guys,

Quick question for anyone who's been wakefoiling in the wake with no rope- where do you put the foil and what boat settings are you driving with?

I've been riding behind an aluminum welded boat (Stanley Islander), as close to the engine as comfortable. Liquid force impulse foil. Been riding above planing speed, hauling in rope to get to the wake, slowing down to slower speed (bigger wake), dropping rope.

Issue seems to be that I'm riding in the washed out section of the wake (this speed seems to have the first wave washed out for the length of it)- sweet spot seems super tight, not much margin for error- too far out of wake and there's no energy, too far towards wave and it's unstable washed out wave (wipeout).

Looks like second wave behind has a wave that's not washed out I could use, just curious if anyone else had a 'formula' that worked well to find nicely rideable sections of wave or if you just have to experiment (if so, what are you looking for?).

Made it work for like 45 sec at a time, but not consistent...

Thanks!

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Re: Wakefoiling with no rope technique

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:40 am

I’ve been riding behind a MasterCraft X-star with a wake surfing toe rope that’s maybe 20ft long. Once in foil I’m just behind the biggest washer coming off the back of the boat, and can pull myself forward on the rope a few handfuls and into the wake, then drop the rope.

Instagram link:

Johnnyrotten204
Rare Poster

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:01 am

Looks good! I was curious if other guys were riding out of the washed out waves (the couple YouTube vids I saw had that trend), but looks like you're not- thanks for the info!

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 am

When I tried it on my buddy’s boat, it worked pretty well but I had to be very close to the boat. I don’t know the size of the boat but I thought it was pretty big; it’s an ocean fishing boat. I bought jetski and even with my GoFoil M280 the wake is nowhere big enough to ride without a rope. There are some videos of people riding jetski wakes on YouTube though. Riding behind the jetski has taught me to pump the foil. Now I just need to be in better shape to be able to keep it going indefinitely. I’ve started to want a real “wake” boat but when I looked at the price on those things. :o If you think Alula is $$$$? :lol:

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Been riding of a Mastercraft x24 riding 2nd and third wake. Using the bubble line and swell to generate speed.
Axis 1000 440 rear. Kanaha shapes 40” board

Ill post video shortly

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas
Has thanked: 0

Postby ralu81 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 pm

I've been able to ride behind my Ski Nautique which does not have a large wake. It has a small sweet spot that is ride able but it is doable assuming there isnt a head wind and yes that makes a huge difference especially if you have a nice tail wind. I generally go about 12-13 and ride in a similar spot shown in the video above. The best pointers I could provide is one make sure you are sufficient at pumping the foil prior to letting go of the rope. two hang on to the rope while you feel where the power on the wake is. As you go up higher on the wake you'll feel a surge and a need to apply more front foot pressure. That is generally where you need to be since that is where all the power is. Because of the positioning on the wake it is really easy to have the foil break the surface so you need to be able to stay up on the foil and be precise with how high you are out of the water.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:29 pm

We've played around with wake foiling over last few seasons, mostly as training for surf foiling. I figure one hour behind boat is about 10 hours in surfing time, can really accelerate the learning curve. So with that in mind, we've been using smaller foils, aimed at bigger faster waves, and this has meant needing more wake. So we've tended to ride the wake right by the boat (18ft Campion with outboard). I made a wakeshaper with a suction cup glass carrier and wood scraps, that helps a bit ... link below to what I mean. Just $30 in parts vs $399 :D

Goal upcoming will be to use the bigger foils and ride the 2nd wake instead -- as you say, clean unbroken wave. But also safety: I had the realization that riding the wake near the boat with an outboard is just too dangerous. We had a couple times where driver had an unexpected speed drop, and you accelerate into the boat so fast it's scary ... was able to turn away and pass the boat, but if not on it or an inexperience rider, you'd be into the prop in 1.5 seconds = death. That's a bad end to an otherwise fun play day. :o

Other thing is the rope. We'd have about 30 feet out and then pull up to the wake, holding the loops until ready to let go. We brought a wakesurfer aboard and they were sketched -- if you catch your leg or arms in the loops or handle, can be serious injury. Or catch the handle in board on a wipeout, potentially break the foil. They said what they use is a rope with no handle, with padded grab areas (floats) every 6 feet or so, you let it drag behind the boat (don't pull it in) as you can surf over it, but also if you lose speed you can potentially steer back to it and grab it without losing the boat. We haven't done it yet, but makes sense.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 am
riding behind an aluminum welded boat (Stanley Islander), as close to the engine as comfortable.
You shouldn't be foiling behind an open prop on the first wake, move to the second wake. It's pretty easy for falls to go wrong, especially since you are probably using a full length mast.

Second wake is more chill and relaxing too as you don't have to worry about out running the wake as much.

Even though it's the crappy old Rocket Foil in this video you'll get a good sense of the difference between 1st and 2nd wake:

Johnnyrotten204
Rare Poster

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, good to know it's not just me looking for the 'sweet spot' haha.

Will continue to play around and will post if I get sorted out. Tried second wave but wasn't able to get much lift out of the foil (only tried one speed though, just under 11mph). Much cleaner wave and not so worried about losing an arm to a prop!

Something fun to play around with on no wind days anyhow!

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Return to “Hydrofoil”