Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foot switching - all the video's are photo shopped, right? advice please

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: foot switching - all the video's are photo shopped, right? advice please

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Whattheflock wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 pm
"fainting goat"

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rojbrown » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:51 pm

On eating shit: I went out yesterday in variable winds from nada to possibly 14mph. I've been somewhat successful on foot switches off foil but never could see the light "on foil". The variable winds were a hassle but otherwise it was fine day. I took mister-z's suggestion of playing with foot positioning and was surprised how much it helped! I am riding an Armstrong foil 1200cm wing on a Shinn 145cm Jackson. I have a hook facing forward for my front foot to allow for water starts. I found I could easily move my rear foot forward while my front foot managed the foil. Initially there was no letting up on the front foot as the system would immediately porpoise. Yet as I played with rear foot positioning I found a "sweet spot" where it too was weighting the foil and I was able to move the front foot aft. Soon I was "standing" on foil feet side by side.It was simply a matter of continuing the process bringing the back foot steadily forward then the front foot further aft that I had done a foot switch on foil! Granted it was not rapid and probably a little awkward appearing. It was also easier in one direction than the other. But it felt like progress! I could see the light. Incidentally I still managed to have a toe-side tack where the kite, foil and my lack of skill conspired to accelerate beyond my control leading me to bail by nosing into water in an epic face plant i.e. I ate shit! :-)
These users thanked the author Rojbrown for the post:
marblekite (Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Also, wiggle your toes and let your feet relax. I think sometimes we go out there and tense up, do the equivalent of clenching our fists with our feet. Once your feet relax and really push back into the board, you'll find you're much more nimble. That totally locked stress posture isn't the way to stay balanced in maneuvers.
These users thanked the author Mossy 757 for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:41 pm)

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:07 pm

I can't do it either, but enjoyed this discussion. I also find Sam Light's instruction videos useful for other things, so perhaps this will help.

These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Rojbrown (Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:47 am)

Return to “Hydrofoil”