foot switching - all the video's are photo shopped, right? advice please

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mister-z
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: San Diego
Style: poor
Gear: AXIS Tray 94 + 760 foil, 12m Hyperlink, 5m Peak4, Cabrinha LEIs, shitty old TT that I need to replace
Brand Affiliation: AXIS ambassador

Re: foot switching - all the video's are photo shopped, right? advice please

Postby mister-z » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:14 am

One realization I had that has helped me progress on foot switches is to stop thinking about "how much weight is in each foot" and start thinking about "where is my center of gravity."

Let's assume you are doing the typical back foot forward, front foot backwards foot change (as opposed to a "jump and twist and land" style). The goal is to swap feet positions without changing your center of gravity, so that your foil doesn't change elevation. That means when your rear foot comes off the board, you are in an unstable static position -- your center of gravity is well behind your single point of contact with the board, so if you do nothing else you will fall backwards. That's actually the feeling you should aim for in that brief moment when there's no foot on the tail of the board. If you went to a stable static position after lifting your back foot, then your center of gravity would be over your front foot, and your foil would quickly nosedive. That is, in fact, what kept on happening to me for all of my early attempts!

So I knew I needed to keep my center of gravity static through the foot change, but I couldn't make it happen on the water. So I put my board on the living room carpet and practiced. If you do a slow, stable foot change on the carpet, you can feel how your weight moves from the center of the board, to the front, back to the center. And if your board has nose rocker on it, you can see that movement, too -- the board rocks forward then backward. If all you do is speed this motion up, you'll still get the rocking. My goal was to get my feet switched without seeing much or any rocking in the board. I realized that it's incredibly difficult to lift your back foot without moving your center of gravity forward first -- your entire life's worth of muscle memory has taught you how to keep your center of gravity INSIDE of your overall footprint so that you don't fall over! So to me, when I got it, it didn't feel like "lifting my foot without moving my center of gravity", it felt like lifting my back foot while putting FORWARD pressure on my front foot, like I was trying to take a small leap backwards. So that's what I visualized -- lift back foot while pushing front foot forward, and quickly bring back foot up to where front foot is, then send formerly-front foot backward to (literally) catch myself before I fall over. CAUTION: your board might slip around on the carpet with that front foot forward pressure, so try not to eat shit in the living room.

This drill helped me. But so did several other things I'd read. E.g. I employ the above advice about giving a quick kick to the tail right before switching, so that the board gets a little lift before you take that rear foot off. Because in reality, you probably aren't going to keep your center of gravity perfectly in place during a switch, so doing the tail kick compensates for the upcoming moment where your center of gravity is too far forward of the balance point. And the other very helpful advice was to just move your feet around on the board and realize that you can still find the balance point, regardless of where your feet are. Also do quick little lift-and-replace movements of your back foot, to get the feel for being on one foot briefly. These feel silly, and probably look even more silly, and they're surprisingly unnerving at first, but they're a good little drill.

Finally, #1 tip -- keep trying! It's easy to let yourself just keep riding around and doing all the stuff you already know how to do. It's harder to literally eat shit every 30 seconds, especially when there are boats and paddleboarders and sunbathers and all kinds of observers around. You feel dumb. But that's the only way to get better. Eat shit, and then think critically about why you just ate shit. How did you visualize things were going to go, how did they actually go, and what caused the discrepancy? Nothing wrong with just having a fun session doing the stuff you already know how to do, but if you want to learn new stuff, you gotta pay the price! :)
These users thanked the author mister-z for the post (total 5):
papasmerf (Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:42 am) • nixmatters (Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 am) • derek440 (Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:43 am) • Rojbrown (Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:41 pm) • marblekite (Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 am)
Rating: 41.67%

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby papasmerf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:43 am

mister-z wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:14 am
One realization I had that has helped me progress on foot switches is to stop thinking about "how much weight is in each foot" and start thinking about "where is my center of gravity."

Let's assume you are doing the typical back foot forward, front foot backwards foot change (as opposed to a "jump and twist and land" style). The goal is to swap feet positions without changing your center of gravity, so that your foil doesn't change elevation. That means when your rear foot comes off the board, you are in an unstable static position -- your center of gravity is well behind your single point of contact with the board, so if you do nothing else you will fall backwards. That's actually the feeling you should aim for in that brief moment when there's no foot on the tail of the board. If you went to a stable static position after lifting your back foot, then your center of gravity would be over your front foot, and your foil would quickly nosedive. That is, in fact, what kept on happening to me for all of my early attempts!

So I knew I needed to keep my center of gravity static through the foot change, but I couldn't make it happen on the water. So I put my board on the living room carpet and practiced. If you do a slow, stable foot change on the carpet, you can feel how your weight moves from the center of the board, to the front, back to the center. And if your board has nose rocker on it, you can see that movement, too -- the board rocks forward then backward. If all you do is speed this motion up, you'll still get the rocking. My goal was to get my feet switched without seeing much or any rocking in the board. I realized that it's incredibly difficult to lift your back foot without moving your center of gravity forward first -- your entire life's worth of muscle memory has taught you how to keep your center of gravity INSIDE of your overall footprint so that you don't fall over! So to me, when I got it, it didn't feel like "lifting my foot without moving my center of gravity", it felt like lifting my back foot while putting FORWARD pressure on my front foot, like I was trying to take a small leap backwards. So that's what I visualized -- lift back foot while pushing front foot forward, and quickly bring back foot up to where front foot is, then send formerly-front foot backward to (literally) catch myself before I fall over. CAUTION: your board might slip around on the carpet with that front foot forward pressure, so try not to eat shit in the living room.

This drill helped me. But so did several other things I'd read. E.g. I employ the above advice about giving a quick kick to the tail right before switching, so that the board gets a little lift before you take that rear foot off. Because in reality, you probably aren't going to keep your center of gravity perfectly in place during a switch, so doing the tail kick compensates for the upcoming moment where your center of gravity is too far forward of the balance point. And the other very helpful advice was to just move your feet around on the board and realize that you can still find the balance point, regardless of where your feet are. Also do quick little lift-and-replace movements of your back foot, to get the feel for being on one foot briefly. These feel silly, and probably look even more silly, and they're surprisingly unnerving at first, but they're a good little drill.

Finally, #1 tip -- keep trying! It's easy to let yourself just keep riding around and doing all the stuff you already know how to do. It's harder to literally eat shit every 30 seconds, especially when there are boats and paddleboarders and sunbathers and all kinds of observers around. You feel dumb. But that's the only way to get better. Eat shit, and then think critically about why you just ate shit. How did you visualize things were going to go, how did they actually go, and what caused the discrepancy? Nothing wrong with just having a fun session doing the stuff you already know how to do, but if you want to learn new stuff, you gotta pay the price! :)

Z. That is brilliant, and awesome tip. By the way I sent you a PM a while back

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:25 am

Start by positioning your back foot just in front of the mast. Put your weight on your back foot.

Move the front foot back to be near the back foot. You can move your front foot back and forth as far and as many times as you like. With a little practice you can ride with both feet together, just in front of the mast. It's called "ski stance".

Get comfortable riding in ski stance and moving your front foot in and out of ski stance. Practice it from toeside and heelside.

When you've practiced a bit, move your front foot back. Now move your back foot forward. You've just done a foot swap. It might take a few dabs to get your feet exactly where you want them. With practice you can hit it in a single fluid move.

The advantages of this is you can practice this all you want with very little crashing. Following from this, you can swap your feet your feet anytime you want. You don't need loads of power or smooth water.

More importantly, you can can swap your feet whenever you like. You do a lot of foot swapping and you really get to feel the power of the foil through your feet. Once you're feeling the power you can place your feet wherever you want, including strap to strap changes.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post (total 2):
papasmerf (Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:39 pm) • marblekite (Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 am)
Rating: 16.67%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:17 am

I really enjoyed mister-Z 's analysis. I have been doing my footcx exercises on a drop deck longboard skateboard (start stationary on a piece of carpet if not a skater). Interestingly it soon made me realize that it is important to keep your axis of rotation still and minimise the angular momentum. In other words keep your spine upright, prepositioning of the shoulders may help. If you bend at the waist to keep low your CofG will wobble. Keeping your CofG still goes hand in hand with my mindset of keeping your axis of rotation still. It has taken a lot of time and effort to progress and there always seems to be a vast amount of room for improvement.

I think that one of the tricky bits is letting the subconscious take over control of the move so it happens naturally without the hesitation inevitably caused by thinking through the move.

PS I liked the concept of getting feedback from the rocker. Skateboards don't give you that but they do force you to move your feet accurately! (Small deck and roll sensitive.) They also make you turn the front foot ready for the step, particularly important if you are set in a single front strap before going for a footcx.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
papasmerf (Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 am)
Rating: 8.33%

vakiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +straps, foil.
Gear: 12/10/8 flites, 7 edge,

Postby vakiter » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 am

i was in the same progression state as the op, and purdyd, your advice really made it click for me. the foot shuffle was key to figuring out the sweet spot, and narrowing the stance toward this spot made the switch much more stable. i dont always stay on foil, but it works most of the time.

really satisfying.
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
purdyd (Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 am)
Rating: 8.33%

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 am

mister-z wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:14 am

Eat shit, and then think critically about why you just ate shit.
I'll frame this quote!
Should work in every challenging life situation :lol:

As for the feet sliding, I've noticed that it's so much easier when having a smooth EVA or cork deck pad! Mine is cork, love it!
Or you move it toes-heel while applying the needed pressure/weight on that foot for every increment.

Those grooved EVA pads make the foot slide much more difficult.
Just my 2 cents

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites

Postby derek440 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am

mister-z description of this is awesome, I had to learn this without a great description like that but now I can foot swap this description is great. My challenges with foot swaps continue as i am now learning race gybes and tacking, but the concept applies to both. With the race gybe you actually can create way more lift from the kite as you are hammering downwind and send the kite to near 12 before you foot swap, but its even scarier to commit to, but again the faster you go the more kite lift there is and more stability. With tacking there is also a point where you have to do something similar taking a bit of a push off the back foot, but again having the kite lifting you at the right time really help, but same concepts apply RE CoG.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

purdyd wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:15 pm
checkout kainani drexler on footswitch.
Sick burn!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

"Hey check out this small child that has figured out what you're struggling with..."

#savage

The advice she gives looks really solid actually, I'm going to mess around with that little forward kick thing during my next session (race gybes are still on my shit list). I think the point is really well said, you're finding a sort of neutral pivot point and then just adjusting your hips to face the right way once your feet are together, then move your back foot back and forward foot forward to get back to a riding stance.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm
purdyd wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:15 pm
checkout kainani drexler on footswitch.
Sick burn!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

"Hey check out this small child that has figured out what you're struggling with..."

#savage

The advice she gives looks really solid actually,
Solid advice is solid advice no matter who it comes from.

The people who should feel burned are those putting together how to gybe videos,

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 pm

I dedicated a whole session to foot changes the other day and finally starting to nail them! Took awhile to get out of my "fainting goat" style half gybe/crashes. Feels good :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”