Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

safest way to slow down or bail?

Postby papasmerf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:51 am

as long as i'm asking stupid questions today,,,part deux

yesterday,,, i got going way to fast toeside,,,kite was parked low cause i was one handing it,, and couldn't get it to go to 12 which is my current way of slowing down, along with pointing down wind,,,, anyway, i was headed partly downwind,, and couldn't edge more upwing,,,,a bit worried,, i managed to hold it together and just outran the kite, any good ways to slow down an out of control foil safely?

and additionally,, let's say you have to bail,,,,best way? any techniques,,, hopefully pull on bar and jump off but what if underpowered and which direction,, couple times i went flying forward,, and i would prefer to go back wards or down wind.

is anyone always prepared to bail at a moments notice? or am i just too worried about it

just trying to avoid overwhelming the health care system.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Re: safest way to slow down or bail?

Postby MattyM » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:34 am

Not a good time to bail to be honest. If you're careful, you could try touching down to slow yourself down, then at least if you come off you are likely to go over the front. As you progress you'll learn how to head upwind better toeside. Just a tiny little bit of upwind is enough to give you some steering line tension to begin to get that kite up and start to slow down. I remember when I went through that phase - I just tried to hold my nerve until I had slowed myself down!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Best way to slow down? Don't get out of control :D

You probably just need to get used to how fast you *can* go.

Otherwise, like a TT -- sheet out, drive the board upwind and the kite to the edge of the window. I found keeping the kite low so it wasn't lifting me aiding in controlling speed and power.

In the shallows, I'm always ready to bail cos I've smashed several things up running into the bottom. Strapless, so I just lift my knees and sheet in.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Best way to kill power that is getting out of hand: Ride directly at the kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Jugglajon (Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:27 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: freeride, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm
Axis 545, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast
15m chrono v2
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
9m Core X Lite
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Yup as Jump the shark says turn sharply towards the kite. It will immediately kill the powered up feeling.

For a safe bail I recommend moving weight aggressively forward. This should put the nose of the board down and keep the foil underwater.
If jumping away from the board never jump off by pressurising your back foot.. This avoids flying axes.
These users thanked the author Jugglajon for the post:
nixmatters (Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:41 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:53 pm

you will very quickly get used to the feeling of going near the point of being out of control, and your brain will know to avoid going there as it can hurt, and very quickly your reaction will be to head upwind hard well before you get to that point where you just can't engage that leverage needed to head up,
but even us who can avoid that point 99.9% of the time can get mullered by a gust from hell, I then relax and keep hold of that bar and some times even eject from the board earlier than going into an even faster fall that is totally out of control, go early and you can steer your direction of fall away from the board with the bar overhead.
also it helps a lot if you choose a smaller kite size if unsure of which size to choose,
coming back in and changing down if you get to that uneasy point too easily, don't wait until you do,
practice and keep practicing avoiding others passing too close to you, practice S turns and vary the size of S turn, do it aggressively getting deep with the wings.
if you do choose a kite that is way too big then you will very quickly go into this run of doom and find it very hard to correct.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:30 pm

I recently found myself in a situation where it was really gusty and I dove the kite to get power in a lull and got hit by a gust while coming toward shore.

At that point I was moving very fast toward shore with the kite fully sheeted out and down low.

I stepped off the back of the board. I had no time or room to do anything else. The board continued on for a shore bit in front of me.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Never ever step off the back of the board. Huge risk the foil tomohawks into your lines or you get pulled into it.
Go off forward and downwind. Best is to try to keep one foot on the nose of the board, as you go down the nose of the board will be pushed down.
If you eject in controlled way, " walk" of the board, front foot last, pushing off with that last front foot, and try to land feet first.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post (total 2):
Jugglajon (Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:50 pm) • papasmerf (Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:54 am)
Rating: 16.67%

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 pm

I'd second the 'nose dive' bail technique! Jumping off the foil even if you just bend your legs will cause it to fly out in an unpredictable direction. And if you already pointed downwind, your kite might not have enough power to pull you out of the danger zone.

While if you sharply dive the nose down, regardeless of what your board shape is, this will cause a negative AoA of the front wing and cause to halt there with no risk of flying out and hunting you.
I surely don't have the foiling experience of some of the guys above, so I'm happy to hear if my findings are right or wrong, also with regard to different foil shapes/sizes. Cheers

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:42 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:22 pm
Never ever step off the back of the board. Huge risk the foil tomohawks into your lines or you get pulled into it.
Go off forward and downwind. Best is to try to keep one foot on the nose of the board, as you go down the nose of the board will be pushed down.
If you eject in controlled way, " walk" of the board, front foot last, pushing off with that last front foot, and try to land feet first.
And thank you Jonny for that invaluable advice on the beach before my lesson!

Return to “Hydrofoil”