Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning to foil strapless from a surfing background

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:26 pm

ladomi wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:13 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:31 am
But will give you a lot more trouble initially most likely, as you can NOT start like on a strapless surfboard (using a kite),
I'm perplexed as this is not the first time I have seen someone saying this, but I start foiling the same way I start with a strapless surfboard. I believe someone said in this thread that they do the same. I use the Slingshot Hover Glide system with the Space Skate which does not float. I never tilt my board up and quickly time a dive before it sinks. I can take as much time as I want lazily on my back with my feet resting on the board.

Peter, have you actually spent some time trying this technique? It took me about 30 minutes to figure it out. You have put your feet very close to the edge and dive the kite more vertically. If you dive the kite in the normal fashion you get pulled sideways and off the front.

Should I make a video?

It is easy, when experienced indeed, no issues.

But for a total newbee, using a bigger board never sinking, trying for the first times to get up on the board, it does not work for 98 % of the new foilers I would think.

On a surfboard, you put your feet up on the leeward rail, point it a bit downwind, and while pushing the edge down you can start in a jiffy, easy no problems :thumb:

Does not work at all on a hydrofoil, you will get yanked over the board to leeward, as the mast keeps it upright so to speak, no leverage whatsoever…

With a smaller board, and the right technique, it is possible indeed, but IMO not a way to try to learn for beginners, nor to recommend :roll:

8) Peter

dirk8037
Rare Poster
Gear: 145 Underground, SP 19 DL, 13m Takoon Furia, 9/7 Waroo 2007
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Learning to foil strapless from a surfing background

Postby dirk8037 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Apart all the posts, maybe I have missed it out and I will repeat... - do you want to learn Kite foiling, wingfoiling, pump foiling, surf foiling.
Kite foiling - no! not until you learned to kite, respective to controle the kite (on the water riding) without thinking.
wing foiling - as all say - doable as much as Pump ad surf Foiling.

For Wingfoiling I think that having to learn both, thinking of the sail and the foil at the same time makes it much harder.
Going step by step would be much easier. Same with surf foiling, since the feeling of the ride has nothing to do with the the classic surfing.
It like comparing rinding a Fullsuspension down a flowtrack with riding a one wheeler.

The nice thing with learning being alread a kiter is that you get up on the board, having the kite/bar as a stablizer to hold on (If you can kite). Then you have all the time to figure out the vastness of having you back foot 2 cm in front or back.

Wingsurfing, not having beeng a Windsurfer means to drive around a lot getting the wing sorted out . after that the foil - doing both teh same time you would be my full hero

Surfing - apart from being able to read waves, position properly and having the fitness to dig for the wave - it would be much easier if you figure out where to put you feet and how to level the foil

So get someon who has a motoboat or a motor winch and train that with the foil and board you will want to use.
Same for WInfoiling. It is much easier, a bit like with kiting. You get on teh board, the boaddriver has to be just as fast as like 5 knots and then speed up a litle bit on signal and be patient.

Get a couple of sessions until you know where to put the feet and the preassure (check out the taxi thing that is recommended for kiters)
Everthing else is routine and adapting to your surfing (steep drops in teh peak will not be the game ....)
Get a propper foil. I do not know about the board. I guess if you gave a mid length or fat and wide pig (2inch wider that you ride normally),
and get someone to put some stable (!) mast tracks in it, you would be fine for the first.

Cheers Dirk

Return to “Hydrofoil”