A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

When do you hydrofoil?

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 am

Do you hydrofoil all year around in all weathers or just through the summer months in lighter winds.

It’s a bit stormy in the U.K. with big winds over the last few weeks and was wondering if hydrofoilers generally switch to TT or directional boards or keep on foiling. I don’t see any foilers this time of year so assume they switch. I want to keep progressing but cautious about it all becoming a bit sketchy as we enter the Atlantic storm season.

Today’s Conditions: I’m talking about 25-40mph wind range in Thames estuary where it’s reasonably flat rather than down on the South Coast with the big mushy waves.

Cheers

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Re: When do you hydrofoil?

Postby palmbeacher » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:31 am

I really enjoy foiling in high wind conditions (up to 35kts) with a 5m kite. For the waves you'll want to have a surf type foil. If the estuary is deep enough you should not have any issue. Foiling in high winds with a small kite is generally safer than twintip in my opinion.
These users thanked the author palmbeacher for the post:
apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:19 am

All year round. Strong wind foiling is awesome. With 4m kite I can get going around 20 knots and still be happily cruising about in 40+ knots. The wind blown chop is great fun for pretendy foil surfing.

A better question is, when do you not foil? (Hardly ever). If the water is too shallow for a foil, or the surf is perfect.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 am

uk conditions for me as well in the summer, Nw area centered around the wirral and north wales,
so really quite spoilt for great places to foil, even deserted quiet sandy beaches at times, flat water sandy bottom lagoon available not far from home as well, or the big waves of Rhosneigr ofen tempt me to travel the 200 mile round trip,

wind speed maximum for me is no more than 30knts or 35mph on my 5mtr foil kite, and gusts must be under 40mph, but the water conditions have to be manageable in the top range of them winds, waves are great fun if there is a bit of distance between peaks to move around, the bigger the wave period(time between wave peaks )then the bigger the waves I can manage, a wave foil is a must have though for fun in the waves along with a longish 101 mast.
switching to a TTip is a no thanks from me, I have decided to switch countries instead for winter, 6 months of the uk winter for the fuerteventura winter on flag beach.
out of the regular foiling guys around my location choices, then maybe 4 switch to TTips when the conditions are a bit mad, the rest take a day off maybe, sometimes getting a day off is welcome, this foiling lark is a 7days a week sort of sport, never getting bored at all, unlike Ttiping which can be a little boring at times if the winds are not great, whereas when the winds are not great for ttips, then the foiling is even better.
even on flag beach not many switch to Ttipping, in fact the winds are so smooth and reliable for foiling then many foilers own and use very few kites, some only owning one size of foil kite,and getting out most days.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks all. Will take my foil out a 5m kite and see how I get on.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 pm

We hydrofoil all year round here in Denmark.
Of course, if a lot below zero and ice in the water, no, but we havent had much of that the last many years.

If windy (for 7 m2 and smaller) and sideshore and good waves, mostly out on waveboards, as quite rare with "dream" conditions.
The sloppier conditions, way more fun on a kite hydrofoil or wingfoil :rollgrin:

Sometimes nice to mix it up on the same days, and rig a two sizes smaller kite for wavefoiling :thumb:
Meaning, if 7 m2 wind for the waveboard (meaning average 21-22 knots), a 4 m2 could work sweetspot on a hydrofoil.
Even though I use a 3 m2 Peak4 (foilkite) instead now, fits in this wind :D

Amazed to see so many, in fact all of you who has answered, riding in 30 to +40 knots winds?

Are you riding strapped and maxed out, and supershort lines, or simply prefer to be mega powered instead of the "surf" style power?

Here even when we ride on wave/surfboards, 30 knots is the upper limit for a 5 m2 tubekite, from then on possible but away from the good sweetspot.

Above 30 knots averege wind you can still just hold on and surf (for average weights), but overpowered, not as fun to ride DTL as you can not ride as freely anymore.
The sweetspot for a 5 m2 tube on a waveboard is around 26-27 knots average wind for most riders.
If you ride strapped waveboards you can go a bit higher, maybe into 30-32 knots average wind yes, but from then, you are powered more than good, and a 4 m2 tube would fit much better.

So amazed to see how many of you riding hydrofoils in way more wind (compared to kite size) than most ride wave/surfboards?

Or is it simply for the fun just being out on the upper limit, almost survival mode, and not because you can carve and surf on the hydrofoil?
Jump height would be max yes, but you will drop like a rock with a 5 m2, which is not always fun on hydrofoils :wink:

Many misjudge the wind a lot, when its windy, that could be another reason, even though a bit of an accusation, sorry :roll:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm) • junebug (Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:43 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:07 pm

12 months a year but about 8 months a year here in Canada but when it's frozen it's snowkite time but then I do a few trips to the Caribbean! I foil usually when the wind is very ligth or very variable gusty. If it's strong and stable I still like to enjoy a big air session!
Last edited by Windigo1 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:16 pm

I have not been on a TT in 3 years. Foil from 6kts to 30 in Canada as long as the water is not frozen and the air temps are above 0C. When I look at TT riders it looks so inefficient and painful plowing through the water. :-)
These users thanked the author cwood for the post (total 2):
PurdyKiter (Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:20 pm) • apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm)

junebug
Frequent Poster
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 pm

So amazed to see how many of you riding hydrofoils in way more wind (compared to kite size) than most ride wave/surfboards?

Or is it simply for the fun just being out on the upper limit, almost survival mode, and not because you can carve and surf on the hydrofoil?

I’m wondering about this too. I size down from 5m to 3.5m at 18kn. I can’t imagine riding a 5m in 30kn.

If we had those conditions where I live I’d be on a 2m or smaller if I could find one.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:12 pm) • apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm)

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I kite in the UK, hydrofoiling for me is anything below 20 knots. As soon as it gets to 20 knots I’m back on my twin tip. I really enjoy the hydrofoil, but doesn’t come close to the fun of my TT.

Simon
These users thanked the author Si_B for the post:
apollo4000 (Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”