jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What foil.

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:31 am

If you wanna go fast, get a fast foil. If you don't necessarily wanna go fast, but don't wanna go slow, you have to look for something with adequate area (1000+ cm2) but with a thin profile.

Many of the larger wings out there are rather thick in profile and it robs you of speed and glide.

I highly recommend the Lift foils. They have their construction down. Simple, clean, and absolutely no one complains about the 170 classic.

As to kites. You've already tasted the joy of a strutless kite. If you want to go even further, the Peak4 is the obvious choice. Don't let relaunch scare you off. That kite is hard to crash, and relaunchable if you have some aptitude. Definitely THE best option for the surf/freerider who likes to corner.

Put the foil on a pocket board and your pretty much done.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 am

grigorib wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 pm
Floating around wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm
What’s your weight?

695/425 would be amazing combo
Thanks, I've been leaving this setup in my trunk and need to try it. Been stuck on loving my Stringy larger with the 425.
Weight: 156 lbs

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 pm

if you decide not to go for a great Moses carbon set up then don't ever pick one up to feel the lack of weight, avoid any moses owners you see on the beach, and god forbid someone offering you a go on the 633wing with standard 483 stab combination, either on a 91 or 101 mast, standard carbon of course.
regret can eat you up, and cost you much more as you try to sell on to get the moses gear.
mind you I checked the moses web site earlier, they are sold out of so much gear its silly, not one board available and most rig combinations are sold out, crazy!
good luck.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Im 70kg and use the 633/91/483 setup with a DC micro and 7m 3 strut almost exclusively.. and love it.. good from 9/10 to 20knots ish but I dont have near the experience with other foils like some do here. I can get it up to 40kmh when powered up though and its always a good time. Might go for the 695/425 next year.. or if they ever get stock lol :D

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm

Whattheflock wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 pm
Im 70kg and use the 633/91/483 setup with a DC micro and 7m 3 strut almost exclusively.. and love it.. good from 9/10 to 20knots ish but I dont have near the experience with other foils like some do here. I can get it up to 40kmh when powered up though and its always a good time. Might go for the 695/425 next year.. or if they ever get stock lol :D
are you strapless, or front straps only? just asking as its maybe why your a bit shy of the 663 top speed of 26.4 knts just shy of 49kmh, a 7mtr kite is maybe not the reason as my top speeds and my sailing buddy, we have 7mtr foil kites and that's the size we get the fastest speeds from using the 633/483. :thumb:
on chop not waves.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 pm
I can suggest the brand Ketos, WaveXL as an allround wing with S2 rear wing (my first setup), pocket 118 is my board.
Im very impressed by the brand, people and the smooth feeling of the ride.
Very easy to mount and dismount, light and a great finish & workmanship.
True quality, unlike some shinny brands :)

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Foil wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm
Whattheflock wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 pm
are you strapless, or front straps only? just asking as its maybe why your a bit shy of the 663 top speed of 26.4 knts just shy of 49kmh, a 7mtr kite is maybe not the reason as my top speeds and my sailing buddy, we have 7mtr foil kites and that's the size we get the fastest speeds from using the 633/483. :thumb:
on chop not waves.
oh wow, im ride strapless in lake chop.. Im slowly getting quicker.. use to top out at ~38 but seeing 40-42kmh now. :D

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:37 pm

Hey......what's up Floating Around?

Good stuff on here.

Grigory knows the Moses gear really well and giving really good advice above.

I sell Moses and also Armstrong. The Armstrong gear is a little more expensive, and you get a lot fewer options overall which can make things easier.

If you really like to play around with different things, Moses is an excellent option. If you prefer a more plug and play option, the Armstrong foils are amazing.
The fit and quality is second to none and they only offer a few fuselage and rear wing options, so it's easier to then concentrate on what front wing and mast length you want.

For your riding, I'd recommend the 85cm mast and the HS 1050 front wing. The CF 1200 front wing and CF 800 are also really fun for kiting.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Floating around
Rare Poster
Weight: 82kg
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
North pro foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Floating around » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:22 am

Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 pm
I can suggest the brand Ketos, WaveXL as an allround wing with S2 rear wing (my first setup), pocket 118 is my board.
Im very impressed by the brand, people and the smooth feeling of the ride.
Very easy to mount and dismount, light and a great finish & workmanship.
Thanks for the tip, they sure do look nice. a little more pricey than moses but cleaner.
do you know of any shops that have them in the US? a quick google didn't find much.
thanks.

Floating around
Rare Poster
Weight: 82kg
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
North pro foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Floating around » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:37 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:31 am
If you wanna go fast, get a fast foil. If you don't necessarily wanna go fast, but don't wanna go slow, you have to look for something with adequate area (1000+ cm2) but with a thin profile.

Many of the larger wings out there are rather thick in profile and it robs you of speed and glide.

I highly recommend the Lift foils. They have their construction down. Simple, clean, and absolutely no one complains about the 170 classic.

As to kites. You've already tasted the joy of a strutless kite. If you want to go even further, the Peak4 is the obvious choice. Don't let relaunch scare you off. That kite is hard to crash, and relaunchable if you have some aptitude. Definitely THE best option for the surf/freerider who likes to corner.

Put the foil on a pocket board and your pretty much done.
Hi, point taken regarding the foil size and shape. i'm just a in the middle sort of foiler. not to fast and not to slow. the trend at the moment seems to be high aspect thin and high area foils, funny how similar that is to other high performance foils...... like sailplanes.

i have had a look at the lift site, very nice and surprisingly well priced. boards seem to be more aimed at surf. availability should be good.

kites, i didn't really appreciate the strutless until i recently rented a 3 strut. hell of a time keeping enough line tension to be able to turn it, always fighting to keep it out of the water. really ruined the session. but! i have often wished for a single strut, seems that it would make relaunch quite allot easer as when water gets on top of a strutless it can be fun to get it back up in the air. a bit of practice has helped allot. I do intend to get a P4 5M, not sure how well it is going to work as i will be launching from a boat allot. maybe launch it just by the front lines? letting them out gently? while someone else unwraps the lines from the bar. might be a bit of a disaster.

Return to “Hydrofoil”