Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

High end foil and board rec for kite/wake crossover

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

High end foil and board rec for kite/wake crossover

Postby markchatwin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 am

Pretty confident wake foiling on 24" aluminum Shinn mast on Nobile split surf board. My friend loaned it to me this summer due to shoulder injury. I'm 5'8" 165 lbs. I also used my friend's Cabrinha Double Agent with standard free ride foil on a couple kitefoil sessions by my recollection of those sessions are vague since I was just beginning.

Ive been told I would be better off with a larger foil since I am seeking more stability while wake foiling. Also the same guy recommended a larger mast to have more leeway busting through chop and riding over the wake. I'd like the board and foil to crossover to kitefoiling. Any recommendations for a high end carbon fiber rig both board and foil/mast? Stability would be key as I like just cruising and would like to work on gybing. I'm primarily a strapless surfboard kiter so I'm definitely not into straps... Recommendations for sizes on mast/foil and board would be helpful...THX!

juanpasala
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Re: High end foil and board rec for kite/wake crossover

Postby juanpasala » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:24 pm

Moses Onda 633 with either a 91 or 101 mast, the other option in a levitaz Cruiser

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Mark,

I/we picked up Armstrong foils this year and we've been testing them a ton all summer long. Love these high end carbon foils.

They are absolutely gorgeous looking foils with a fit and finish that is better than most.

Super easy to switch out front wings and they don't offer 5 million versions of everything which can make things confusing.

A couple of fuselage options and a couple of rear wing options so you can focus on the wings and masts for the best ride.

They offer a HS series which is High Speed and CF which is Carve Freeride.

For your set up it's a super easy decision for both wake and kite foiling.

Masts:
For wake foiling, be careful going too long of a mast or you might loose some of the energy of the wave if the wings are too far under the wave.
I recommend the 72cm (28.5") mast. 85cm (33.5") is an option if you are going over the wake a lot and not dropping ropes.

For kite foiling, for sure the 85cm mast.

Wings:
For wake and kite, go with the CF 1200 and CF 1800.
I ride the CF 1200 more than any other wing for foiling and it's a LOT faster than riders would expect.
Of course it rides slower if needed, but it has very impressive range for a wing with this much lift.
The CF 1800 would be ideal then behind the boat if you want to just ride the wake. Otherwise, the CF 1200 is also really fun behind a boat.
CF 2400 only for larger riders or if you are looking for one that is a pump monster.

You could go with some of the HS wings, but the CF's are a little more versatile overall in my opinion.

Here are a few links to the info.

https://kiteridersllc.com/product-categ ... armstrong/
https://www.armstrongfoils.com

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo

Postby papasmerf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:34 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 pm
Hi Mark,

I/we picked up Armstrong foils this year and we've been testing them a ton all summer long. Love these high end carbon foils.

They are absolutely gorgeous looking foils with a fit and finish that is better than most.

Super easy to switch out front wings and they don't offer 5 million versions of everything which can make things confusing.

A couple of fuselage options and a couple of rear wing options so you can focus on the wings and masts for the best ride.

Masts:
For wake foiling, be careful going too long of a mast or you might loose some of the energy of the wave if the wings are too far under the wave.
I recommend the 72cm (28.5") mast. 85cm (33.5") is an option if you are going over the wake a lot and not dropping ropes.

Wings:
I ride the CF 1200 more than any other wing for foiling and it's a LOT faster than riders would expect.
Of course it rides slower if needed, but it has very impressive range for a wing with this much lift.
The CF 1800 would be ideal then behind the boat if you want to just ride the wake. Otherwise, the CF 1200 is also really fun behind a boat.
CF 2400 only for larger riders or if you are looking for one that is a pump monster.

You could go with some of the HS wings, but the CF's are a little more versatile overall in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
bob , have you ridden the hs1050 back to back with the cf1200? if so, which in your opinion is more stable for trying foot switches,,,what does one give up on the other? i recently tried the cf1200 coming from a more beginner set up (double agent) and i just couldn't get it under control. lots of lift. i know it must be some little techniqy thing i am missing.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 am

papasmerf wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:34 am
toyletbowl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 pm
Hi Mark,

Masts:

Wings:

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
bob , have you ridden the hs1050 back to back with the cf1200? if so, which in your opinion is more stable for trying foot switches,,,what does one give up on the other? i recently tried the cf1200 coming from a more beginner set up (double agent) and i just couldn't get it under control. lots of lift. i know it must be some little techniqy thing i am missing.
That's a really good question and I don't have an honest answer yet. Every time I ride the 1050 it's when I'm in jumping mood and ride with 3 straps and going fast and not working much at all on foot switches. I like working on other tricks, etc., with the 1050.

What board did you use with the Cabrinha? I used to ride the Double Agent board with the old cab foil and it was the easiest by far for foot switches.

I'm now riding 3'6" dwarfs almost always and it's harder to nail them, but I don't practice them that much. Working hard on tacks and that's another story.

Not sure if that helps much, but the board can make a big difference also. My guess is the 1050 might be a little easier all things being equal, but I could be wrong.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks for info Juan and Bob. Bob - you said you ride a 3'6" dwarf. Do you think something bigger would be better since I'm more of a beginner? I noticed the Armstrong foil chart recommends either a 3'11" or 4'5" for kite/wake... What do you like about the Dwarfs over the Armstrong? My friend also recommended the Dwarf boards. I noticed on the Slingshot site that wake foil boards were 4'5"-4'10". They also had a full range of kite foil boards from Dwarfs to 5'6" (designed for casual users or a "learning" tool or "behind a boat"). I guess I'd like something middle of the road that I could control, make turns and do foot switches. As I said earlier I am a strapless kitesurfer who likes to ride in waves and do gybes...

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:26 pm

markchatwin wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm
Thanks for info Juan and Bob. Bob - you said you ride a 3'6" dwarf. Do you think something bigger would be better since I'm more of a beginner? I noticed the Armstrong foil chart recommends either a 3'11" or 4'5" for kite/wake... What do you like about the Dwarfs over the Armstrong? My friend also recommended the Dwarf boards. I noticed on the Slingshot site that wake foil boards were 4'5"-4'10". They also had a full range of kite foil boards from Dwarfs to 5'6" (designed for casual users or a "learning" tool or "behind a boat"). I guess I'd like something middle of the road that I could control, make turns and do foot switches. As I said earlier I am a strapless kitesurfer who likes to ride in waves and do gybes...
Hi Mark,

Probably the most versatile board would be the 4'6" Dwarfcraft for wake and kiting. The WF2 is a little bigger and has a soft top and the WF1 is strapless only. Some riders want to add straps on occasion.

The 3'6" Dwarf would be a little on the small side. I don't stock the Armstrong boards, but I can order one if needed. I carry a lot of the Slingshot boards and they cover pretty much every riders needs.

Hope this helps,

Bob

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Airush
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Moses
Harnesses: Mystic
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:58 am

[/quote]

I have been riding Armstrong CF1200 and HS1050 wings quite a lot this summer. With the HS1050 you will get slightly faster performance than the CF1200 with less initial lift and maybe marginally less stability. So, for foot switch, the CF1200 will be slightly easier with the increased lift. The 1050 will be a better performer as the wind increases.
As you experienced, the CF1200 can be quite a challenge when starting. I have had several people demo it and everyone said s it’s a little tricky to get going. With the standard 60cm fuselage, it’s very stable once underway. The CF1200 really doesn’t need much to get it going so being less aggressive with the kite (unless it very light) is key.
If your looking at an Armstrong foil, the CF1200 is a great choice if you just want a 1 wing setup. If you want a multiple wing setup, there are several options. You could add the CF800 to a 1200 kit. The CF800 has excellent lift and can carve amazing! It’s not crazy fast ( it has a thick leading edge) but boy can you crank it!
A great choice for the HS1050 would be, LW the HS1550, HW the HS625. The HS1550 is a blast to ride! Great lift , super stability and decent speed. Of coarse, if you’re a lighter rider , not needed , but the 2 wings 1050 / 1550 have huge wind range.
The 2 wings I initially got were the CF1200 and HS1050. From riding the various Armstrong wings knowing what I know now, I’d go HS1050/1550 and add a HS625 if I wanted to rip.
Also, there is noticeable difference in the 2 stabilizers. The standard Uni Tail 300cm works well on all the wings but the HS232 adds some zip and tighter turns at the expense of slightly less stability.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:31 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:24 pm
Moses Onda 633 with either a 91 or 101 mast, the other option in a levitaz Cruiser
I have this set up, it does not work behind the boat if you are trying to ride 2 3 wake without the rope.

The volume is too low.
I ride the axis 1000 for heind the boat. Pretty sick but not good for kiting

hybr1d
Rare Poster
Gear: - - -
Been thanked: 0

Postby hybr1d » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Just to add: at least one big European foil manufacturer cancels warranty if you take your kite dedicated foil to wake foiling session. YES, this is real. I will not post the name of the company as of Today, as I am still trying to give them some time to re-think it over :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”