Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mast length for mixed kite/wing/surf

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Mast length for mixed kite/wing/surf

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Anyone have thoughts on optimal mast length for mixed use? Right now I only kite foil, and have been for about 4 years, I’m not particularly good but I’m competent enough. I use a 36 inch mast and Lift 110 wing. I’m thinking of selling that, and putting it towards a setup of Armstrong foils along with a wing-thing or two, but I’m not sure which mast length to get (and too expensive to get two). My choices are 85 cm (33 inches) or 72 cm (28 inches). I’d definitely be inclined to go longer for kiting, but not sure whether that would work for occasional wing or surf foiling. I’d still probably be kiting most of the time. Does anyone happily use shorter masts for kiting after they are past the learning stage? Does anyone happily use longer masts for wing-foiling or surf-foiling?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mast length for mixed kite/wing/surf

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:41 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm
Does anyone happily use shorter masts for kiting after they are past the learning stage?
Yes, I use a 30" mast for kite foiling due to relatively shallow water where I ride. The only time I wish I had a longer mast is for boosting.

Your choice probably depends on the relative time you'll be doing each sport. If it were me, I'd probably opt for 28" if I'd wing/surf foil at least 50% of the time. If I'd kite foil in deep water at least 75% of the time, the 33" might be more enjoyable. I don't know if there is a clear choice though.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 pm

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:17 am

I ride a 75cm mast most of the time kiting in a shallowish spot. I have a 101cm for some deep water spots. I plan on just using the 75cm for winging/sup foiling as soon as I buy a board and big wing. Most of the guys around here are in 70-85cm range here for winging.

I think the decision should be more based on your conditions though. Is your swell or chop big or small? Thats how I determine which mast I go with. Large swell longer mast no swell or flat water short mast (shallow spot).

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:51 am

I use 72 cm all the time for kiting and I think it's ok, even when the chop gets pretty big.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Things to consider.

How big do the waves get at your spot (bigger waves 85 cm)

Depth of water, If shallow then 72 cm - You will fall alot when first learning to Wing and you will be riding your Wing board on the water to first get up

Ability if you think it will take you a long time to learn Wing and Surf then 72 cm as you will be falling alot

I am currently riding a 75 cm mast for KBH and WingF but have just ordered an 85 cm mast to be able to play more in the waves ( 1 m)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:35 pm

You have to look at how important surf is for you, and if you surf on low water areas (sandbanks/reefs).

As here you would probably prefer a short mast.

For wingfoil and kitefoil a 90 cm is the choice, conditions doesnt really matter, and shorter has disadvantages according to most riders (not all, a few like short masts)

As you have the option for 85 and 72 cm, you should pick 85 as the best compromise, as shorter is no good for wingfoiling.

But if you mostly would surf-foil, and very low water too, the 72 might be better.
And then live with the disadvantages for wing and kite :wink:

8) Peter

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks everyone, surf would be at most 10% of time as I’m mush closer to flat water than ocean, so it sounds like 85 cm is the way to go.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Related Question: I only kite foil, big wing, lots of wind swell. I had a person at the launch passionately comment that I am dead wrong sticking with a 101cm mast at my 4 years of skill progression. He stated a 71 is the only way to go. Logic: Less drag more speed. And better carve control.
I'm very happy with the 101 with less breaching. Can't feel a downside unless this is why I don't win many races. Thought?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Are Armstrong foils really that good? Don't buy into the hype: for the price of one Armstrong you can easily have two competent setups: one for kite and one for the wing&surf.

Return to “Hydrofoil”