Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Foil gybe with race kite

Postby tomi3000 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:26 pm

When I foil gybe on my FS Peak 4 I can do it anyway I like and the kite always catches me on my way out of a turn.

In light wind I have been practicing with my 11m Chrono v2 UL and having hard time adjusting to a different timing. I did not try down looping as I would not want to risk relaunching in 8-10 knots. If I try to ride towards a kite when I move it up it quickly looses all power. I don’t know how to keep the light tension in light wind and be able to ride towards the kite. Any tips?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Re: Foil gybe with race kite

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm

My 10 m FS Soul turns much more slowly than any size LEI that I use for foilboarding. Usually, I downloop the Soul for jibes (in both directions). To make certain I have sufficient line tension in light wind, I go upwind slightly in advance of the turn until I feel tension in the lines. Then, with the kite high in the window, I initiate the kite's downloop before following it around with my board. If I turn the board too early, the lines can go slack. So my advice is make sure the kite is beginning to head in the new direction BEFORE turning your foilboard to follow the kite through the transition.

If you downloop, start with the kite high in the window to make sure you have enough room for a loop without contacting the water. If you choose not to downloop, I recommend starting the kite's turn lower, at roughly 45 degrees, preferably with a sharp pivot turn so that the kite travels straight through the power zone in the new direction (as opposed to up and over the power zone). You may need to reach up and pull a steering line with your hand to pivot the kite sharply enough.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
tomi3000 (Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:59 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

bohme
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringkøbing
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande
Style: Foiling
Gear: Worn
Brand Affiliation: DIY

Postby bohme » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 am

I have found that longer lines is more forgiving when practising downloop "race kite" gybes.
Less risky, more drag (line tension), and more time in the powerzone.
Last edited by bohme on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bohme for the post:

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:48 am

Shorter lines makes the steering better, it will not be a big change in low-end for foiling is my experience with twin skin's (10 & 12m) -- if you don't overdue.. try -3m /4m --

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 pm

So you're trying to gybe with a foil kite without down looping? Not even sure what that means really...are you trying to bring the kite over the top like a normal redirect on a twin tip?
These users thanked the author Mossy 757 for the post:
tomi3000 (Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:17 pm

Try to make a "pivot gibe". Works well with race kites (even 17m2 for 62 kg)
I described it somewhere else on the forum, but overall it is a slow gybe, pointing upwind initially, easier with a big front wing:

-point upwind as much as you can
- point even more upwind which will decrease your speed up to almost 0, kite at 45 degree.
- just before loosing the foil planning, send violently the kite to the opposite window (*)
- when kite pulls too much, initiate a very rapid 180 degré of the board with your body
- adjust your new direction to have the amount of kite pull you want to finish your turn
-change your feet afterward (or before the move)

Almost no chance to put your race kite in the water even when beginning and even in marginal winds ... :-)

(*) light wind only : can be scary because you feel you will jump, but as soon as you are pull upward byvthe kite, by initiating your turn at that precise moment (next step), it removes most of the line tension, just remains a small lift to keep planning even at very low speed and turn very tight (i cross again my previous trace in the water only 1-3 meters further)
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:

tomi3000
Rare Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak
Been thanked: 0

Postby tomi3000 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm

With dowloop gybe I get this oh sh*t moment when I cannot finish the loop when I ride towards the kite after line tension is gone. And this is on my super slow 633 rig.

I will experiment with kite pivot turns by pulling on a line with hand to send it through power zone, this trick was missing in my repertoire as I came from flying LEIs and recently only FS Peak 4 that does not require such manoeuvres.

I was trying to make turning by moving Chrono through zenith but this didn’t work on Chrono in light wind.

I guess this will be a good time to start mentally preparing for mastering tacks when on Chrono. Yaikes!

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 pm

> With dowloop gybe I get this oh sh*t moment when I cannot finish the loop when I ride towards the kite after line tension is gone.

Don't ride towards the kite. Ride right past it onto the new direction. You should only be pointing directly at the kite for an instant in light wind, and then the kite will be behind where you're facing as it completes the downloop and catches up to you.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:30 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 pm
> With dowloop gybe I get this oh sh*t moment when I cannot finish the loop when I ride towards the kite after line tension is gone.

Don't ride towards the kite. Ride right past it onto the new direction. You should only be pointing directly at the kite for an instant in light wind, and then the kite will be behind where you're facing as it completes the downloop and catches up to you.
^^^Exactly this.^^^ (Turn your hips to quickly and completely turn through your jibe into the new direction.)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:34 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Yup.

Return to “Hydrofoil”