Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

strapless freestyle and the moses onda 633 - still good after learning the basic moves?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

strapless freestyle and the moses onda 633 - still good after learning the basic moves?

Postby wavy navy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

Hi,

the 633 is known as a nice setup to learn strapless tacks, 360s and so on. But what if one can do these? I´m a bit disappointed because the 633 circles are very tight. Gaining more speed before the move is not a solution, because often the low wind doesn´t allow that, beside the frontwing itself isn´t that fast, so I slow down fast while carving into upwind.

I´d like to do smoother, bigger circles instead of tight pivoting turns that don´t look too impressive. I´d like to feel more centrifugal force in bigger circles.

Am I right that the tight turns are because of the 633? Are there any alternatives from moses (in that case I could keep at least the mast and use the 633 for very low wind)? Or is this the time to sell the onda and buy something new?

Thx

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Re: strapless freestyle and the moses onda 633 - still good after learning the basic moves?

Postby gmb13 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm

No. The 633 can do nice large radius 360s. The radius of your 360 depends on how you fly your kite in the manuver and the timing.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
wavy navy (Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:07 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Re: strapless freestyle and the moses onda 633 - still good after learning the basic moves?

Postby wavy navy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Well, that looks similar to what I do.

But look at this:

The circle looks completely different. Or is it just done in perefect conditions? Looks like there is much more wind in Rob's video than in Gunnar's video, like 14 knots in Gunnar's and 23 knots in Rob's?

Thought it could be the frontwing that makes the difference!?

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Its all about the conditions and your skills. More wind (more speed) and a smaller, faster kite give you way more margin for a larger radius. And of course, flat water helps.
The 633 is absolutely fine for this. Just try more, especially in stronger wind and flat water, you can rally lean into the turn...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:01 pm

In those flat conditions, everything is easy. I'm kinda fed up with these instructional videos in conditions i get like once a year...
I ride in 2ft -3 ft chop and interference wave conditions. That means long mast, 100cm. That was big improvement for me, shouldn't have waited 4 years to change from 90 cm
Speed into carve, as fast as you can, maintain speed.

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Postby wavy navy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:44 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:01 pm
In those flat conditions, everything is easy.
Big point. Interesting approach for me - not to change frontwing but mast :idea:

Return to “Hydrofoil”