drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Hydrofoil low end (~7-11knots)

Postby drsurf » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Flysurfer Peak4 in a large size for your needs would be worth trying. Low cost, lots of drift and great in gusty conditions.
Will fly in 3 knots when other kites are falling out of the sky and for a foil kite the bridles are simple to manage.
Take a look at the Peak4 thread viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224 and check the later pages for people using the Peak4 on inland lakes where there is no area to launch from. The Peak4 is being drift launched in these lakes.

Not sure what foil you have but I would suggest a surf foil of 1000 sq cm or larger for the best results in light wind.

GregK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Might want to add to your list of light wind kites an Ocean Rodeo Aluula 10m Roam or 12m Flite.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am

The true benefit of light wind kiting is light wind days often end up a lot stronger than forecast. We have had many great sessions by being on the spot when other people have not bothered going to the beach. That's why it's important to have a fair bit of range in your super light wind kite.

Often the wind picks up during a session, or you're launching from an inshore wind shadow. There can be a heap of wind a little further out. Conversely, we've had sessions where the strong winds are inshore. If you go out too far you struggle to turn around and ride back the wind zone.

You can chase the benefits of 0-1 strut kites and foil kites for a kite that's easier to keep in the air. Ultimately any kite that ends up in the water is not going to relaunch, especially if it gets water on top of the leading edge tube or inside the foil. In that case you're going to be swimming. It's a fair bit less stressful if you can sit in the kite and sail it in.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:41 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am
The true benefit of light wind kiting is light wind days often end up a lot stronger than forecast. .
This. Well, they don't have to be a "a lot stronger" ... just "a bit". I have a launch 5 mins from my house. There is frequently a forecast for NE wind in the 9 - 10 knot range that almost always ends up being a couple of knots stronger. 11 - 13 knots I would never have bothered with a SB. Now it's ideal foiling for an 8m wave kite & a 1000cm2 foil. Small but playful swell & the NE is very consistent :thumb:

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 pm

i foil on a 1100cm wing and would consider myself average at best. With the 9m hyperlink UL i was able to get going in 7-8kts this summer (sometimes even dropping into the 6's. Had someone measuring wind speed on the beach while i was struggling to get up and go.

the wind picked up to 8-9kts and i was having no issues getting going at that point.

I weight about 82kg.

that same 9m kite is good for foiling on the same wing up over 20kts ( i have the race bar so extra depower) . For me its the perfect setup to foil with 7 to 20+ kts same kite and foil.

azoele
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm

I second drsurf's suggestion of the Flysurfer Peak 4.

Everything you read of the Peaks is true: they fly in next to nothing, the smaller sizes are just jewels to fly... but also dropping them in the water is often tragical.
If by mistake you get your kite in the water in light wind, you *must* be sure you'll be able to swim back: the 11m, and even more so the 13m, are large kites, and once in the water they get incredibly heavy.
I manage to "collect" my 13m on the the foil board (eventually... and after much cursing and untangling of myself, and always afraid I'll shred it against the foil), and then slowly wait to reach the beach.
But when I lost the board due to a big fall and some waves (despite the exceedingly low wind), getting back to the beach was a real nightmare, and more than once I got to the point of almost unhooking from the kite (even thought it would have meant losing it) because after a while, Peaks sink a meter or more below the surface, where they can get caught in currents leading away from the beach. Not funny at all.

So: a Peak will give you the absolute lowest wind foilability (together with a large, efficient foil), it will never fall by itself, and it's a pleasure to use. My Airush Ultra 17m is sitting in the closet since I got the Peak.
But it's not a kite to take too lightly, especially if your kiting spot is not an inherently safe one...
These users thanked the author azoele for the post (total 2):
airsail (Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 pm) • marblekite (Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:11 am

Agree with you, except for "So: a Peak will give you the absolute lowest wind foilability (together with a large, efficient foil)" which is not true.

You can start earlier with an UL race or race like kite, definitely.

But a lot more risky indeed :naughty:

8) Peter

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:13 am

I would rather pack up a dozen little peaks instead of a large doubleskin kite with a hundred litres of water in it.

If you pick the peak up by the leading edge when packing it up in the water it does not resist at all and it does not trap any water. Very easy to pack and swim. Doubleskins can be a pain sometimes.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post (total 2):
geron (Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 pm) • marblekite (Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 am

yzbob wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 pm
i foil on a 1100cm wing and would consider myself average at best. With the 9m hyperlink UL i was able to get going in 7-8kts this summer (sometimes even dropping into the 6's. Had someone measuring wind speed on the beach while i was struggling to get up and go.

the wind picked up to 8-9kts and i was having no issues getting going at that point.

I weight about 82kg.

that same 9m kite is good for foiling on the same wing up over 20kts ( i have the race bar so extra depower) . For me its the perfect setup to foil with 7 to 20+ kts same kite and foil.
This above :thanx: :thanx: take note of the facts here, and understand this is the reason many others (who are now very good foil kite flyers) can now think about just using a 9mtr ultra light modern freeride foil kite, some that I sail with when on holiday at Flag beach only have the 9mtr ul hyperlink, and one only has the 7mtr (a 100kg superb foiler who lives there) these kites are truly amazing for freeride foilers, depower is not required just a long throw type bar to push away during ultra light wind starts. fun fun fun, loopy spinny madness, and boost so well which is important for some.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 21, Soul 12, Soul 8, Trigger 9, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Peak 13, Volt 13

Postby Tomlutz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am

azoele wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm
... Peaks sink a meter or more below the surface, where they can get caught in currents leading away from the beach. Not funny at all.

So: a Peak will give you the absolute lowest wind foilability (together with a large, efficient foil), it will never fall by itself, and it's a pleasure to use. ...
Agreed only mostly:

- A Peak can be brought back to surface quite easily by beginning in the middle of the leading edge. You might want to wrap the lines on the bar to prevent getting entangled (sometimes I am too lazy even for this if I am just positioning it for relaunch)
- Even if not asked, for the lightest winds below 6 knots even a Peak 13 will fail (at least for going upwind). For this you need an ultralight race kite, but then we are talking about a different price level

- Tom

Return to “Hydrofoil”