Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Blackfoot moving back as I progress- why?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
knyfe
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Blackfoot moving back as I progress- why?

Postby knyfe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:42 am

Yesterday I realized that “my” position for placing the back good moved backwards over the season prob 2 inches as I progressed in my second year. Why would I do that?

G

ice
Medium Poster

Re: Blackfoot moving back as I progress- why?

Postby ice » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 am

knyfe wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:42 am
Yesterday I realized that “my” position for placing the back good moved backwards over the season prob 2 inches as I progressed in my second year. Why would I do that?

G

Probably moving your body weight more forward over your front leg. Extend your back leg to counterbalance

On a twin tip you body weight is over your back leg. Back leg bent, front leg straight. Takes time for muscle memory to adjust.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 am

Could be the cause for a few ice, but I dont think it is the main reason.

As by far the majority of hydrofoilers come from waveboards around here, where the front foot control and dominance is the very same.
They havent touched a TT board for many many years.

And they, as well as me, noticed the same.

The last couple of years, more and more TT riders are going hydrofoiling though, so this is changing rapidly.

I think it is the progression:

First off most are adviced, correctly, to move the straps forward, or the mast back in the track, so the wing do not pop out of the water.
You learn to ride this way, and when learned and not needed anymore, your body might still remember this even strapless, and only slowly you will go towards a full balance stance, meaning further rear.

Also, when learning, you ride really powered and also erratic in your power from the kite, can come and go suddenly not on purpose.

Most importantly, your body do not have full relaxed control till after a very long time, so having a tad more pressure on your rear foot would mostly lead to you touching down if you release this pressure, no big deal board just touching down instead of a big ventilation crash.

Above means the risk of popping the wing out of the water, leading to disaster, is huge if you were standing fully balanced right from the start when learning.
So standing a bit further forward, pushing a bit more with your rear foot, will work better when a beginner.

I also think some prefer to be able to really push with the rear foot in turns, when experienced, meaning sometimes a wider stance, and at least a further rear stance maybe even more pressure on the front foot is good :naughty:
Have noticed this myself, if I am carving around hard both ways downwind, or on a wave, I stand a tad further rear for having natural sweet balance during this.

Riding straight sucks, carving rocks :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 am

Assuming your front foot is the same, you've got more finesse and your reactions are better, so now you can handle greater reaction to your input when you apply it, and you need a wider stance to handle your more aggressive riding.

Probably :D it's what happened to me, and I ended up moving the mast all the way forward to get what I wanted, cos manufacturers of boards think you need the track all the way back to get the mast back as far as possible :lol:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Welcome to the good part!

As Peter and Kami point out, rear foot further back facilitates hard carving. Really dynamic turns have the foil canted on more of and angle with rider weight on the inside of the carve. Turning input shifts away from pure yaw to a blend of yaw and pitch.

You have to have that rear foot back there to pitch the nose up into the carve. That rear foot pressure is what I find so satisfying about carving around on foil. Generally I find the rear foot position that works best for pumping is the ideal position for hard carving. I pretty much live in this stance and there is a lot of pumping mechanics in my riding!

Cut backs, where the foil comes to the top of the lip and pivots hard, hard bottom turns, even breaking out the tail a little and floaters, where the foil mounts up on some white water or goes over the falls a little before re establishing grip.

Riding a foil in waves may not look like much, but you can feel like Slater as you make that little airplane do pretty much everything a surfboard does except throw buckets, although I'm working on getting that top wingtip out of the water on cutbacks, so it might happen eventually.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:15 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Hydrofoil”