Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kite should I get?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What kite should I get?

Postby Eduardo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:38 am

HomerJay wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm
I recently got into foiling, and am thinking about investing in a foil-specific kite. Ideally, I'm looking for a single kite to cover about 10-20kts. I don't think I'll be out in lighter winds for a while, and when it's windier I'll be twintipping. My foil is a Gong Pro L (1350cm2) with kite stab.

After doing some browsing, it looks like either a wave kite or a single strut kite is the way to go. But what size will I need...??

My current (not-so) shortlist is:
North/Duotone Mono
North/Duotone Neo
Slingshot SST
RRD Religion
RRD Emotion
Ozone Alpha
Ozone Enduro

Any recommendations much appreciated!
I think you're getting the message loud and clear. this is not a one LEI kite solution.

For foiling, I'm finding that at the lower end, things get extremely sensitive and keeping the kite in the air is critical in lulls and mistakes. A 12 meter 1 strut or Aluula works great for me around 10 knots. As the wind picks up, I will quickly go for a 9 as it's more fun. But the good news is, once the wind is up, any kite is fine, at least for me. That is, no special purpose kite needed. So you can grab your TT kite, whatever you have, in the higher end of your targeted foiling range. Although if a choice, I'm most happy with a wave kite so I can ride wind-swell down wind and the kite drifts.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What kite should I get?

Postby Flyboy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:09 am

Eduardo wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:38 am
HomerJay wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm
I recently got into foiling, and am thinking about investing in a foil-specific kite. Ideally, I'm looking for a single kite to cover about 10-20kts. I don't think I'll be out in lighter winds for a while, and when it's windier I'll be twintipping. My foil is a Gong Pro L (1350cm2) with kite stab.

After doing some browsing, it looks like either a wave kite or a single strut kite is the way to go. But what size will I need...??

My current (not-so) shortlist is:
North/Duotone Mono
North/Duotone Neo
Slingshot SST
RRD Religion
RRD Emotion
Ozone Alpha
Ozone Enduro

Any recommendations much appreciated!
I think you're getting the message loud and clear. this is not a one LEI kite solution.

For foiling, I'm finding that at the lower end, things get extremely sensitive and keeping the kite in the air is critical in lulls and mistakes. A 12 meter 1 strut or Aluula works great for me around 10 knots. As the wind picks up, I will quickly go for a 9 as it's more fun. But the good news is, once the wind is up, any kite is fine, at least for me. That is, no special purpose kite needed. So you can grab your TT kite, whatever you have, in the higher end of your targeted foiling range. Although if a choice, I'm most happy with a wave kite so I can ride wind-swell down wind and the kite drifts.
Exactly! The answer for the OP is get a more foil dedicated kite for 10 knots. That means a no-strut, or single strut, or foil kite. Don't get a 3 strut wave kite. If you want to go lower than 10 knots, get a somewhat bigger kite, if you're happy foiling only above 10 knots get a somewhat smaller kite. Either way, you will be able to decide at what wind strength you will want to switch to one of your existing, smaller, non-foil specific kites.

Return to “Hydrofoil”