Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Carbon mast on liquid force impulse setup?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
xanpet
Rare Poster
Gear: Wainman
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Carbon mast on liquid force impulse setup?

Postby xanpet » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 pm

Sorry for my english i’am dutch...

I’ve got an 2020 Liquid force galaxy with an impulse wingset and an “LF fluid fuselage”
It comes with an 90 cm aluminium mast with quick release collar.

Does anybody knows if there’s an carbon 90 cm mast without quick release avalable?

Cheers

wallydog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barbwire beach
Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: surf and foil
Gear: North Pacific surfboard. Cloud X22 and X24 wings. Slingshot SSTs

Re: Carbon mast on liquid force impulse setup?

Postby wallydog » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 pm

I am in the same boat and want to get rid of the aluminum mast weight on my LF. I am looking into what I think is the only option. Expensive but it is a lifetime purchase and will work for most all popular foil systems with the adapters. You could use same mast for kiting and sup/surf/wing foil.
https://projectcedrus.com/

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 pm

So far Liquid Force haven't done a carbon mast. But I think they have one for 2021 I don't know if it's compatible with the old setup it's not out yet. I own several foils including one Liquid Force Thruster great foil but the weight is crazy it's like double my other foils, the mast is heavy but the fuselage is crazy heavy it's like it's made out of lead.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 am

I think a carbon fuselage would be more improvement than a carbon mast. My lift carbon mast weighs about the same as my aluminum (zeeko) mast, but the carbon fuselage and wingset weighs less than an aluminum fuselage (without wings). Liquid force does make a carbon fuselage, or at least they did.

BayAreaKite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Postby BayAreaKite » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 am
I think a carbon fuselage would be more improvement than a carbon mast. My lift carbon mast weighs about the same as my aluminum (zeeko) mast, but the carbon fuselage and wingset weighs less than an aluminum fuselage (without wings). Liquid force does make a carbon fuselage, or at least they did.
Project Cedrus is a pound lighter than the Lift mast. It is also stiffer and stronger. Most other carbon masts on the market don't have significant weight benefits because they are solid. A solid carbon structure is not going to be lighter than a hollow aluminum structure. This is a design flaw, not a material problem. Carbon is 1.7g/cc with 2-3x the young's modulus of aluminum which is 2.7g/cc.

Fuselages are tough out of carbon unless they are fully integrated with wings, because all the connection points put significant stress risers in the fuselage. I have repaired a number of damaged Lift, MFC, and F-One carbon fuselages. Not doubt they can be lighter than aluminum, but they are a lot more complicated and expensive to tool up. Conversely, the mast is the perfect structure for carbon. Long, stiffness/strength requirements, and more material for weight savings. I would make a carbon fuselage for Cedrus if brands didn't change their wing connections every year. Tooling costs are too expensive to justify. Mast + adapters on the other hand makes Project Cedrus future proof:)
These users thanked the author BayAreaKite for the post:
airsail (Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:45 am

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 pm
But I think they have one for 2021 I don't know if it's compatible with the old setup it's not out yet.
Didn't LF go bust?

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:45 am
Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 pm
But I think they have one for 2021 I don't know if it's compatible with the old setup it's not out yet.
Didn't LF go bust?
No they stopped making kites. They will still be making wakeboards, wakefoil and surf foil it's not clear about kiting foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”