Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foil cavitating, ventilating, broaching, solution

Postby plummet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 am

I wish I have made a longer mast. Mine is 90cm. I have to be constantly vigilant with descent swell and wind chop. Rode a longer master a couple of weeks ago and it was bliss.

That said. Ride the foil deeper, board closer the water, The bigger/steeper the troughs the deeper you ride.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post (total 2):
matt_81a (Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:27 am) • papasmerf (Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: foil cavitating, ventilating, broaching, solution

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't know if this is related, but when we ride our race gear in chop, there's often a point of sail that above a certain speed you get a sucking/ventilating effect in crosswind swell.

So the setup is wind and swell not perfectly aligned, going downwind fast, as you ride through a cross-swell, sometimes we'll get some sucking/instability traveling down the strut. I ride a Delta, my buddy's on a Mike's Lab Bullet 3, both in good shape so it's not equipment. There's something about when swell strikes the strut from the side, it may increase the tendency to lose stability and suck in some air at speed. I think this also tends to happen more when there's a lot of fish in the water, as hitting them leaves little greasy mucus streaks on the strut when you're riding.

Not to derail the thread, but that's something I've been experiencing as I get closer to the top end of my gear...

Return to “Hydrofoil”