Style: Foil
Gear: 1
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which tipe of board to choose

Postby JoseTumaco » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:02 pm

Breze wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:11 am
Hi Jose
I think the 550 wing with only 600qcm is your main problem with learning air gybes with flying foot switch. Try to learn the air gybe and do the foot switch when in taxi mode. For this your Levitaz Transformer is fine.
Your Moses combo has the short fuselage, it allows the 590 wing as the biggest freeride wing, also tiny 650qcm if compared with modern easy going wings like the 679 wing (990qcm) which would be a far better/easier solution for your progress than an other board.But for these bigger wings you will need the 710 fuselage.
The board in the pic is a raceboard. Beluga nose, narrow- i guess it could be only 39-42cm wide, but these boards are about 140cm long. They are build for maximum upwind angels and stiffness.
These narrow raceboards are harder for learning foot switches, not impossible but not easier than with your current board.
I would sell the combo and get something like this https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... lu-carbon/
Thanks a lot again Breze, I found very interesting the gong option, very big front wing comparing with my Moses 550. Only two questions,
1. someone told me not buy a bigger wing, because I should try to progress in my 550 and then progressing to a high level one as for examole Mosses 101. But I really dont like racing, I like freeride, I am 46, 75 kg, and just want fun, I kite 3/4 days a week because I live at the beach. What do you think about it?
2. That Gong option you mention is very good price, but is not full carbón as my actual Moses foil, is it similar development at the water? Or should it be better buying a similar but full carbón option? I want to make a good investment because I really foil a lot of days in the year.
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Jose

Breze
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Carbon vs alu is a question of how much money you want to spend and if weight is important for you ( jumping, long distanz walk)
A modular foil with two front wings 800 and 1200 is nice to have, also diff sized stabs .
Bummer, with Moses you need a second fuselage and stab if you want a bigger foil. Also they will have different pressure points
Gong has also a new carbon foil.
Imho the best modular system, with the smoothest foils, are the french Ketos Foils.
Of course you can progress with your current set up, but it is no fun compared to a modern freeride foil
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
JoseTumaco (Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:45 am
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:58 am
JoseTumaco wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 am
Need some advice
I own a Moses 91 mast with 550 wing. I am 75 kg and I hidrofoil 6 months ago, just progressing and begining to gibe. I own an Hyperlink 12m and usualy kite in 10/11 stable knots (sea). I want to buy a New board, Till now I used a Levitaz Converter model, and I have any opportunity to test any other Where I live. Thinking in a T60 Moses perhaps,... But I really dont know other good options. A local brand offers me this one (see photo),... Any advice is wellcome!
It depends what kind of foiling you want to do. The board in the photos looks like a race board. It's a bit overkill for general free-ride foiling ... however, the wing you are using is more speed oriented, so it might be an OK match. If you want to focus more on gybing & playing around on the foil a smaller board would make sense - more relaxed for manoeuvring. But you might also want to think about a bigger surfier wing if that's what you want to do. In my experience, a board around 100 cm long is nice for all around riding. It will together nicely with something like the 550 wing or a bigger wing.
Thanks a lot, I dont want it for surf, not either for race, only for freeride, and having fun in low wind days. If I get that one in the photo for progressing in gibes. Reeding what you wrote, I am afraid in less than one year I will need a 110/120 cm Long, what do you think?
What dou you mean the board in the photo could be overkill for freeride?

A "bigger, surfier wing" does not mean a wing for surf ... it means a surfier wing designed for free riding! A wing around 1000 cm2 will work much better than your 550 wing in light wind, will still go plenty fast & will be much easier to learn to gybe on than the 550. For the money you cannot beat the Gong foil/board combo linked to by Breze. However, you could also get a similar Moses wing set (although I think you might need a different fuselage also). The person who told you to just stick with the 550 is wrong - as many people here can tell you. In the end, the foil is more important than the board - it's more difficult to learn gybing on a small wing than it is to learn on a smaller board.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
JoseTumaco (Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm)

JoseTumaco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Tumaco Colombia

Postby JoseTumaco » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Breze wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 pm
Carbon vs alu is a question of how much money you want to spend and if weight is important for you ( jumping, long distanz walk)
A modular foil with two front wings 800 and 1200 is nice to have, also diff sized stabs .
Bummer, with Moses you need a second fuselage and stab if you want a bigger foil. Also they will have different pressure points
Gong has also a new carbon foil.
Imho the best modular system, with the smoothest foils, are the french Ketos Foils.
Of course you can progress with your current set up, but it is no fun compared to a modern freeride foil
I am very glad for your advice, because there is no one foiling here. In my case I want a good foil, because I foil 3/4 days a week. I know understand I prefer a moderan freeride foil with a bigger wing than my 550. Now my question is finding a good brand in freeride foil, Gong is good enough? Or should I better get Ketos or Moses (with a New fuselage)? I can afford them realy.

José Luis

JoseTumaco
Rare Poster
Tumaco Colombia

Postby JoseTumaco » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm
JoseTumaco wrote:
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:58 am

It depends what kind of foiling you want to do. The board in the photos looks like a race board. It's a bit overkill for general free-ride foiling ... however, the wing you are using is more speed oriented, so it might be an OK match. If you want to focus more on gybing & playing around on the foil a smaller board would make sense - more relaxed for manoeuvring. But you might also want to think about a bigger surfier wing if that's what you want to do. In my experience, a board around 100 cm long is nice for all around riding. It will together nicely with something like the 550 wing or a bigger wing.
Thanks a lot, I dont want it for surf, not either for race, only for freeride, and having fun in low wind days. If I get that one in the photo for progressing in gibes. Reeding what you wrote, I am afraid in less than one year I will need a 110/120 cm Long, what do you think?

A "bigger, surfier wing" does not mean a wing for surf ... it means a surfier wing designed for free riding! A wing around 1000 cm2 will work much better than your 550 wing in light wind, will still go plenty fast & will be much easier to learn to gybe on than the 550. For the money you cannot beat the Gong foil/board combo linked to by Breze. However, you could also get a similar Moses wing set (although I think you might need a different fuselage also). The person who told you to just stick with the 550 is wrong - as many people here can tell you. In the end, the foil is more important than the board - it's more difficult to learn gybing on a small wing than it is to learn on a smaller board.
Thanks for the explanation, I now realize I need a bigger wing, wich brand do you recomend? (no Matter price)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:19 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm
JoseTumaco wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, I now realize I need a bigger wing, wich brand do you recomend? (no Matter price)
I can't recommend a specific brand because I only have experience with what I have used personally. I am currently using a Gong MPro which I am very happy with, however, I suspect any similar foil would be more or less equivalent. The advantage of Gong is primarily that they are very reasonably priced while having a full range of foil options (although not really oriented towards racing). As you have a 91cm Moses mast, I am assuming you could simply get a new Moses fuselage/wing combo. The 679 wing would be the closest equivalent to the Gong wing I use - a wing that balances speed & manoeuvrability. The 633, which a lot of people like a lot would be a bit slower & "surfier".

rquintella
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NY area
Style: freeride
Gear: North Rebel, Liquid Force Element
Has thanked: 0

Postby rquintella » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 am

I have T60 with a 633 foil.
I learned foiling on this setup and I’m still a beginner.
The pros of this board is that for learning is really good because you can taxi for longer distances if needed and go back to the foil. It is very stable.
The cons for me is that it is just too big. Even hard to find space in the car to go the beach. Not mentioning if you want to travel with the board.
I think that I will probably change to smaller board once I am better with transitions.
These users thanked the author rquintella for the post:
JoseTumaco (Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 am)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi Jose,

I spent a year learning on the 550. It was very challenging. Then I got 590, a little better. Then I got the 633 and 483 stab. Its a huge difference, you should go for that if its available easily in your region. Keep your kite fuselage, you might go back later to a smaller wing.

After 3 years on Moses, I got curious and tried Gong Freewave M ( also called Pro M or Pro clear M) . Its a great foil too. In some ways better than moses 633, especiallyif you are under 75 kgs. If you can get one shipped reasonably priced its a really good option. I sold my moses gear.

You should get a 120cm freeride board and go strapless.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
JoseTumaco (Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Some pretty solid advice up in here.

JoseTumaco
Rare Poster
Tumaco Colombia

Postby JoseTumaco » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 am

TomW wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Hi Jose,

I spent a year learning on the 550. It was very challenging. Then I got 590, a little better. Then I got the 633 and 483 stab. Its a huge difference, you should go for that if its available easily in your region. Keep your kite fuselage, you might go back later to a smaller wing.

After 3 years on Moses, I got curious and tried Gong Freewave M ( also called Pro M or Pro clear M) . Its a great foil too. In some ways better than moses 633, especiallyif you are under 75 kgs. If you can get one shipped reasonably priced its a really good option. I sold my moses gear.

You should get a 120cm freeride board and go strapless.
Thanks a lot for this tips, very, very usefull. What about getting a 679 wing instead of 633? Very different? . I am 75 kg. Wich brands of 120 cm board do you sugest?

Thanks!

Return to “Hydrofoil”