Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any interest in eeeeee foils?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any interest in eeeeee foils?

Postby markchatwin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Can you describe the change in feel to go from 170 Surf to 250HA? I would figure more stability but maybe HA doesn't feel more stable. Do I take it even though you got a 5' you'd augment it with a 4'4"? Or like 5'6" and 4'4"in an ideal world?

I can tell you that since I only know what 5' and 170 wing feels like I'm pretty sure Id go with 5' and obtain a quiver of different foils. Where I'm at, inland lake, I don't think a folding prop is the call. But I do wonder if I could efoil toward the back of the boat, hop into the wake and cut power and ride.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi Mark.....if you have a local rep, please support them. They'll appreciate it for sure.

They should have a discount code so you can get the $9,995 deal.

My point, is I'm not going to try to have you order and use my code. They have one.

I'm on here just to help give good advice. Hope it helps.

That being said....this is a super easy decision imho if you go with the Lift E-foil or something similar.

My suggestion would be to go with the 5'6" board with 200 wing set and call it a day for your first one.
That is the most popular size by a long shot.
In the 2 years I've been selling these, doing lessons, etc., I never got a 6'2" for my school. It's just BIG.

I'm 220 lbs and no problem learning on the 5'6" and also love the 5' board.

If you are over 240 and older, then maybe the 6'2".

If you are under 200 and if it's mostly just you using the board, maybe the 5'0" board to start.

The 5'6" is perfect for both you, family, friends and kids. It's amazing how much fun kids have on these and how easy it is for lighter riders to learn.

Then....if you do get a 2nd one, you could get the 5' board with 170 wing or similar. You can then mix and patch the wing sets if needed and play with a folding prop if desired, but I'd start with the above set up.

Here is the feedback on the 4'4" and even though it is more nimble, riders should be lighter riders and in flat waters with no chop and really good at getting up.

Getting up in chop is really tricky in choppy waters.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:06 pm

As of getting up in waves it works funny - it’s smoother to go down a wave, yet when you ride a wave you need to move your stance back, while starting requires some extra front foot pressure. On the opposite riding against the waves takes more forward stance, just as starting in general so you end up matching forward stance and end up starting easier against the wave.
250HA appeared to save battery and along with folding prop it gives you about 2 hours of riding. Every session is a learning experience and slightly different conditions. I’ll comment more as I progress :)

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:46 am

Very interested to buy but,
Weight is a big deal so anyone have a very practical solution for getting efoil from car to the water?
Ofcouse lower price may help them feel lighter.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Wazza Foil wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:46 am
Very interested to buy but,
Weight is a big deal so anyone have a very practical solution for getting efoil from car to the water?
Ofcouse lower price may help them feel lighter.
Haha....right?

Carry the battery separately.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm

I carry the board on my back with mast over the shoulder.

Lower prices are certainly coming, hearing how many of efoils sell, especially those in 5-8k price range.
Not sure if fancy models (carbon boards, folding props, HA wings, small boards) will become much more affordable. I expect clear separation to happen between premium line and simpler ones, just because of ravaging competition between basic models

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 pm

One of my customers made his own light wind solution, a PP (Petrol Powered) hydrofoil :D

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:08 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 pm
One of my customers made his own light wind solution, a PP (Petrol Powered) hydrofoil :D

OMG....that's hilarious and love it.

So cool seeing how foiling is progressing.

i prefer the quietness of batteries, but that looks like yet another innovative idea.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:12 pm

What I would like to see here is a folding engine - and not merely a folding prop. The engine should be in the water ONLY when propulsion is needed - then for surfing and downwind, the engine should be retracted above the water. That way, you’d get both propulsion, and minimal drag for surfing.

One way that might work is having the engine mounted in the front, on a bar that pivots on the nose of the board. Once you catch a wave, push down the bar (or just let go: the default should be engine turned off and out of the water) to lift the engine and keep riding with a regular, low drag foil.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 am
The Waydoo seemed very impressive, its assembly and interconnecting parts is at pinnacle of simplicity. Looks like it will drag price down a lot for the whole efoil market. I hope to demo it soon.
Bring an extinguisher with you ;-)

Return to “Hydrofoil”