Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any interest in eeeeee foils?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any interest in eeeeee foils?

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 pm

They seem ridiculously expensive to me. It also seems like something that would get boring very quickly - the equivalent of jet skis. Jet skis may be fun once in a while ... but does anyone feel the urge to go out several times a week on a jet ski?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Actual jet skis are actually pretty fun and engaging, these are the stand up kind that require forward momentum. A lake near where I live has a solid crew of jet skiers that go out for 30-60 minutes almost every sunny day in the summer time. The only reason these things stopped being popular is they could no longer meet California emissions standards as 2-stroke engines and the tech to make them with 4-stroke has taken 20 years to catch up. 2021 is bringing back the first real consumer jet ski though, the Yamaha Superjet. It's a lot heavier than a traditional jet ski being a 4-stroke but it's still a jet ski at 375 lbs. Yes there have been a few niche attempts at electric jet skis, but they were crazy expensive and never took off. Kawasaki has also offered a 4-stroke stand up for a few years but it's 550 lbs dry so it's really just a sit down with no seat.

The sit down kind, Wave Runner or Seadoo, they are pretty boring.

As for e-foils, they seem rather boring to me. I know that Lift was working on a folding prop version that you could kill the engine on and then surf waves. That sounds like lots of fun. I'm not sure they ever got anywhere with it though as I think the prop guard needed to be removed to make it work.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm

As for e-foils, they seem rather boring to me. I know that Lift was working on a folding prop version that you could kill the engine on and then surf waves. That sounds like lots of fun. I'm not sure they ever got anywhere with it though as I think the prop guard needed to be removed to make it work.
Someone should come up with some kind of "wing-thing" that could be used to pump onto the wave. :idea:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 pm

The onewheel is a better light wind option for most. Great carving when there is no wind. Have had one for a few years and it still brings a lot of joy. I definitely use it less than I used to, but sometimes it really does scratch the itch and besides being a 10th the price, land based is so much more practical in that I don't think you can run out and pick up milk and eggs or another case of beer on an efoil.

The one thing that I keep wondering about is what happens if you misjudge and run out of juice. Still happens to me from time to time on the onewheel (first gen) that I go a little hog wild on grass for a little too long and use too much juice to make it all the way home. Carrying that pig is a bitch!

Having broken down in a boat before, I have the clear understanding that breaking down on the water is a whole other kettle of fish compared to breaking down on land. What is an efoiler to do when the conditions are a little windier and choppier than they calculated and they run out of juice a couple km from home? Carrying one of those would make carrying a onewheel seem like a cake walk!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm
Actual jet skis are actually pretty fun and engaging, these are the stand up kind that require forward momentum. A lake near where I live has a solid crew of jet skiers that go out for 30-60 minutes almost every sunny day in the summer time. The only reason these things stopped being popular is they could no longer meet California emissions standards as 2-stroke engines and the tech to make them with 4-stroke has taken 20 years to catch up. 2021 is bringing back the first real consumer jet ski though, the Yamaha Superjet. It's a lot heavier than a traditional jet ski being a 4-stroke but it's still a jet ski at 375 lbs. Yes there have been a few niche attempts at electric jet skis, but they were crazy expensive and never took off. Kawasaki has also offered a 4-stroke stand up for a few years but it's 550 lbs dry so it's really just a sit down with no seat.

The sit down kind, Wave Runner or Seadoo, they are pretty boring.

On very rare occasions there are jet skis here - it is AWFUL, they make so much noise in the worst thinkable way...

Hopefully they will be banned totally, soon :wink:

They must not ride closer than I think it is about 1000 feet from the coast (wonder how they start), but the noise is SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying, dreadful :(

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
windmaker (Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:56 am)
Rating: 8.33%

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 am

Hi Flyboy - I actually had an unusual trip this past month in OBX where I jet skied with my friend on the Friday before the house rental. Never done that down there. Jet skiing with a purpose and a buddy is fun. Not everyday fun but once in awhile with a goal of bringing a lunch and going to the sand flats or anchoring off an island, sightseeing...

But the following Sunday I got a chance to ride the Sport Lift efoil and it was physical, required balance, gave my quads and core a workout and I got to sightsee a little. All with very little sound, just a light "Whirr" to the propeller.

I also got to kite 4 times, once in the ocean with a downwinder and 3 times in the sound. I also brought my e-bike and with plus tires was able to cruise miles on the ocean where the water meets the sand on the non-wind days. I guess in the end I would like an e-foil.

If you're a person who loves to work on balance, sightsee, maybe chit chat with a buddy or girlfriend (if they get one), maybe crash and splash a few times then an e-foil might be for you.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 am

grigorib wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 pm
Waydoo funded by DJI and Takuma. Both maintain their reputation.
I doubt very much that Takuma is a Waydoo partner since Takuma have launched their own efoil brand called eTakuma in Europe and Avante in the US.
TAkuma launched their efoil in July 2019, and Waydoo in July 2020 with a Kickstarter campaign.
Waydoo isTakuma strongest competitor on the 6000usd efoil market.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 am

I meant two players coming to the market - the Waydoo funded by DJI and the Takuma. And what has just happened - the Lift is suddenly $2000 off. Must be a coincidence

blackswan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Juno, West palm, fl
Gear: 9 switch, 12 switch, 15 contra
Been thanked: 0

Postby blackswan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:57 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 am
I meant two players coming to the market - the Waydoo funded by DJI and the Takuma. And what has just happened - the Lift is suddenly $2000 off. Must be a coincidence
You gotta be shitting me, I just bought one and now they are $2k cheaper! :angryfire: :angryfire:

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Yeh I saw that $2k off. A couple interesting notes - In one of the emails I got from Lift they were x2 for $20k if you became a Lift affiliate. i.e. - teach lessons, sell them... So it is obvious the $10K price point still leaves them some profit. Nobody gives their stuff away... I am not one to judge how anybody prices their product and how much profit they make. There is a ton of RandD in the efoil and they need to handle warranty issues plus I imagine keep some extra parts around. BUT 12k puts it at the most "luxury" of toys and as little as $5K puts it in the "I could almost do this" category. $10k is a chunk off and may push someone to buy who wants a company with a track record, support and lots of experience producing foil stuff.

With a few $5-$8K foils coming out Lift has to lower their price point. I would think. I spoke to someone that has ridden the Takuma, Lift and Waydoo models and they said that the Lift was more refined as far as it's fit and finish but that all 3 models did what they were supposed to do in providing super fun.

As far as blackswan goes give them an email. I would think those that bought them in the last month have a pretty good case. Maybe Lift throws them a bone like an extra foil or something...

Return to “Hydrofoil”