Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any interest in eeeeee foils?

Postby Europ2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 pm

OK, then.
grigorib wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 am
And what has just happened - the Lift is suddenly $2000 off. Must be a coincidence
Do you mean you can get a brand new LIFT efoil for 10K$ today ? Since 2018, they've always been at 12k$ and they still are on the official LIFT site and on retailer's:
https://www.realwatersports.com/product ... te-package

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Europ2 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 pm
OK, then.
grigorib wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 am
And what has just happened - the Lift is suddenly $2000 off. Must be a coincidence
Do you mean you can get a brand new LIFT efoil for 10K$ today ? Since 2018, they've always been at 12k$ and they still are on the official LIFT site and on retailer's:
https://www.realwatersports.com/product ... te-package
Yes, I’ve got emails from 3 dealers offering them at 10k
Even though they say it’s a limited time offer, I personally read it as “it’s temporarily 10k because it’ll be even cheaper”

At least base model matching waydoo and takuma should be in similar price range to sell at all. Who’d buy for 10k when you can buy for 5-8k

Let’s say the foil+board alone should cost $3000. Add $600 for the battery. The motor, charger and ESC don’t add up to $1000 and that’s where competition begins.

This is going to embrace foiling as a sport for so many new riders. All the videos with girls dancing on efoils, the sitting backwards, head stands etc.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Ordered the Takuma efoil from MAC but do to a mix up in shipping it was delayed and then decided to cancel the order. I’m going to wait till there’s a viable solution to using it to surf without power and just use the motor between sets. I know lift is working on this with a foldable prop. I’m sure Takuma will eventually come out with a smaller board as well. Until then I’m just going to learn to prone foil.

StellaBlu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby StellaBlu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 pm
I know lift is working on this with a foldable prop. I’m sure Takuma will eventually come out with a smaller board as well. Until then I’m just going to learn to prone foil.
Im pretty sure Lift has already launched their folding prop and I've heard that its pretty sweet. Better be for that cost...
https://liftfoils.com/product/folding-prop/

blackswan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Juno, West palm, fl
Gear: 9 switch, 12 switch, 15 contra
Been thanked: 0

Postby blackswan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Lift advertises their folding prop and also high aspect wings for the efoils. Has anyone tried them and can comment on whether they work as intended? For the folding prop, I would LOVE to be able to turn off the throttle and coast into waves/swell, but I am a bit skeptical it will work given the extra drag from the prop housing. If it really works like they claim, it would be a no brainer for me. Also I heard the high aspect wings can increase battery life by 20% or more, can anyone comment on their experience with this?

As an update, I did receive my 4'4 Lift Efoil last week and have taken it out which was great fun. Obviously a super expensive toy, but to be able to carve around boats/sandbars in places you would never be able to kite with zero wind/waves is just amazing. Now if that folding prop works and you can use the efoil to ride swell in the ocean too...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm

A buddy has 5’4” Lift with folding prop and high aspect wing he added to the standard set. I think these two things became his absolute favorites to ride.
Right now you can only get these for Lift efoil so hopefully competition catches up.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
blackswan (Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:23 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:47 am

So speaking of models, wing sizes and accessories - which ones you or your friends chose and why?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:38 am

I’m debating a waydoo since it’s about same as basic Lift. Large board, non-folding prop, medium aspect wing.
Half price and water is not too cold yet.
Who knows if Lift is going to drop price for their base model to $7k for folks to wrap them into Christmas presents but even then it’d be $2000 more expensive and looking at astonishing ease of waydoo assembly vs the Lift, internal assembly specifically, I’m kind of leaning toward waydoo

Foiling in no wind. Without a jet ski to haul, friends with a boat to bug.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 pm

I wouldn't go waydoo personally. While I like their connection setup, it's not proven and I can see problems with it aging. It make take a couple more seconds to connect in the board, but they're more protected and will last longer. Also I'm very wary about where they cut costs to keep the price down. With my Onewheel, I've had battery issues which has tainted my experience. Big reason why I decided to wait for more development on efoils. Even Takuma has had issues with their battery cells but at least they've been good about warranty. And that's my last point. Chinese company's are notorious about not holding up to warranties. Perhaps Waydoo will be different, but we don't really know. 7k is a big investment on a maybe. Just my opinion.

=Jason-

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:12 am

Mark.....great thread. Wish I saw this earlier.

I don't spend much time on the forum these days, but I might have to. There's some great stuff on here.

Full disclosure. I'm a Lift Affiliate and I was one, if not the first, in the upper Midwest to become an Affiliate for Lift E-foils. I cannot verify, but I started before most.

It's been super fun working with these guys. 2020 was WAY better than I ever expected. Sold a lot more e-foils than I ever expected and it's still happening.

I can help answer some questions.

The Lift E-foil deal at $9,995 was for affiliate customers only until now. It was an email campaign and for those who were on the fence and considering getting a new Lift E-foil at $9,995 instead of $12,000. That's a great deal. Battery included.

If any one is considering, this is my discount code. KR2020_118 - Discount Code

Contact me please if I can help in any way. I know these e-foils really well especially how to ride them, etc.

Here are some things that might help.

Lift is made in PR (Puerto Rico) and batteries in CA. That might matter to some, might not. Lift has a Long history with carbon.
They know HOW to make really good carbon product and it shows. If you are working with Carbon, you can't just make it without knowing how to work with it to give the performance you want. Nick and the crew at Lift live and breathe being on the water and their wings are also bad ass wings.

Here are some things to consider in general.

1) If you have never foiled before in any way shape of form, learning on the Lift E-foil is the easiest of all foiling disciplines by a LONG shot. Behind a boat, under a kite, etc., etc., are ALL a lot harder to learn to foil. I've taught a Lot of e-foil lessons and most riders are foiling relatively well on their first battery. Once riders learn how to stand and ride with good throttle control, the foiling part is actually quite easy. Getting to that point is what takes some time for some, but the foiling part is easier than other forms of foiling. You just don't get that classic dolphining and porpoising problem with other foils.

Why? You're already going along at a steady pace and all you need to do is shift your weight a little or relax your front foot and you are foiling. Pretty cool.

2) Get bored? I hear this a lot, but not after our lessons. I have a jet ski that just sit's in my driveway and only comes out when I'm doing kite lessons. If I have spare time, I'm foiling. I'd challenge others to learn how to do sharp circles both heel side and toe side and then increase speed and turn sharper and sharper going in circles. Its super fun and you'll get a good workout with your legs and core which are constantly moving like a shock absorber trying to keep the foil moving along. Your front leg is reacting super fast to small movements and some big movements if things go wrong.

3) It's really cool just riding all over lakes and rivers and taking in the sites.

4) Lift basically created a new category and deserves a premium and it's well worth it. Fliteboard is the other really good brand.
I'm not a fliteboarod dealer, but they make a really good product.

5) Takuma and others coming in under $10k is interesting.

6) Supernova? Just wish they would actually have a product instead of 2 million teaser FB posts. Looks like an interesting product.

7) Waydoo? Sub $5k? I just can't see how a sub $5k e-foil can make it unless it's the Best model of flooding the market and then raising prices. If they can make it work by still offering top level quality and service, more power to them.

8) I've sold quite a few Lift E-foils and have used 4 of them the last 2 years in my school for rentals and lessons and there's just hardly any problems.

Alright....I'm done. Hope my enthusiasm comes across more than anything and it's for good reason. Love e-foiling.

I just sold both of my school/demo boards and already having withdrawals even though our waters are COLD now.

I hope this helps and great discussion of a really cool new market for foiling.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
bob@kiteridersllc.com
These users thanked the author toyletbowl for the post:
grigorib (Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:23 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Hydrofoil”