jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: High wind foiling

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:32 pm

Has a super windy session yesterday. (3m peak, 12m lines, lift 170)

Soooooooo windy for foiling. Probably 35+ , I really just kept the kite at noon the entire time just playing the rear line tension to keep the kite happy. Kite takes most of your weight so not a lot on the foil making it so you can foil really slow when needed and just play the swell. put the kite at 11:57 and your on port tack, 12:03 and your on starboard. Really only blip the kite to 11:50 or 12:10 for a waterstart. With the kite taking most of your weight you can point super high upwind or surf straight down swell and not pick up too much speed. Learn to keep your boat speed in a nice moderate with slow bits envelope and you can really tame some gnarly conditions. Hardest part of the entire thing is getting back to your board after a fall. My foil literally rolled on the surface foil going over the top due to wind! It can really start to motor when sailing on its side, and upwind progress body dragging is not possible. Thankfully the swell were big enough to eventually get it foil down and swimming down wind. No hands free waterstarts that session! No airs, in fact so challenging I barely switched feet and rode in weak stance. Still, so worth it. Some super pitchy wave spots to play in.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Similar session yesterday, manageable winds early but then building to 30-40knots by the end. Same kite but smaller foil. Slow board speed is everything in that wind, almost standing still amidst the chaos of wind and waves.

Never thought I’d have the guts or kit to try riding rodeo/seated in 25+ and big swell, but that kite makes it possible, though upwind impossible at high high end. Straight downwind, up and down the hills, like a kid going down a long playground slide!

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Another good one. Big gust differential but felt safe and comfortable through it all with 3m Peak on 15m lines.
Attachments
8B00B42F-F773-476D-B667-4CE3EA44995E.jpeg

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:29 pm

I choose to live in a very high wind area and KBHF often in strong gusty winds.
Airush D N A 4 m2 on 24 m lines and 3m2 on 20 m lines just works well.
R H

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

I just had my first high wind session and it was awesome!
I went out with a 4m (Ghost) and it worked really nicely.
Wind was anywhere between 20 to 30 knots during the session at a relatively flat water spot with just a bit of chop.

I am still a beginner on the foil (about 10 sessions) and I had my first proper carving turns including upwind toeside riding!
IMHO it’s actually quite a lot easier with such a small kite and a lot of wind. It’s pretty much impossible to outrun a kite
when there is plenty of wind. Additional power, if needed, is at your fingertips with a super fun quick loop.

I start to wonder if I will ever touch my twintip gear after this...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm
I just had my first high wind session and it was awesome!
I went out with a 4m (Ghost) and it worked really nicely.
Wind was anywhere between 20 to 30 knots during the session at a relatively flat water spot with just a bit of chop.

I am still a beginner on the foil (about 10 sessions) and I had my first proper carving turns including upwind toeside riding!
IMHO it’s actually quite a lot easier with such a small kite and a lot of wind. It’s pretty much impossible to outrun a kite
when there is plenty of wind. Additional power, if needed, is at your fingertips with a super fun quick loop.

I start to wonder if I will ever touch my twintip gear after this...
Pretty much it right there.

Ive had so many high wind sessions that would have been so much labor for limited reward on any other board. On foil (esp with a peak) it's all just easy. Easy to get there, easy to ride the swell, easy to get back to the top.

Finally had a 5m session after basically only using my 3 for the past while. It was so great after all that time in bigger conditions.

This is the first year where I'm confident enough to play it safe on foil in the real shoulder season and its been so worth the work.

To get this many sessions, in this year, at this late stage in life with actual responsibilities..... Priceless.

SO grateful to all of you trail blazers.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
geokite (Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:59 pm

It's been a weird fall on Lake Erie. Lots of wind forecast, but so warm that the wind has been doming ie. wind inland, but little or no wind on the water. The forecast on Thursday was for gale force winds. Took only my SB. When I got to the beach it was perhaps 25 knots max. Had an OK session with choppy water & disappointing waves. Friday forecast was similar. I threw in my foil along with my SB. Was 20 - 25 knots when I arrived but rapidly dropping. By the time I started setting up it was more like 15 - 20. So went back to my car to get the foil & my 5m. By the time I was in the water it was more like 13 - 14 knots & still dropping. Could not get going at all due to light onshore wind, shore break, & masses of weeds, leaves & debris in the water from the huge storm a few days previously.

Was ready to give up in disgust, but decided to pump up my 8m. Fought my way to to deeper water, popped up on the foil & had an enjoyable couple of hours in the lingering swell as the wind picked up to again to around 15 knots. I think during the course of this year the possibilities of carving waves on a foil, especially toeside/frontside - something that is almost impossible to do on a SB in our usual conditions - has eclipsed SB riding in all but the best wave conditions. It's an interesting reversal of the early days of foiling which were mostly focused on going fast in a straight line.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Exactly like my last 5m session in ages... Yesterday. Blew 20 knots all morning while I was at a work. Ninja changed into wetsuit at the office, but only caught it dying. 13 knots or so. perfect 5m. Nice rididual swell. A couple keeners had got out earlier, but it was clearly over for the day when I got there. Still scored a great session because, foiling!

High wind is killer, because the terrain is killer. Leftover terrain with minimal wind makes for awesome sessions.

I thought foiling was whack when I only saw big kites and race foil blasting. The moment I saw Phillipe Caneri carving my third eye opened.

My kite journey has been amazingly rewarding and ever evolving. I can't believe I lucked into this.

Will likely only pull out the TT or Surfboard on their very best of days.... and even then, maybe not.

For Sale:

2013 Torch, BLACK. Beat to shit but hasn't given up the ghost. Has never leaked. Complete with bar and lines. Bar is well maintained. $5,000.00

2013 7m Fuel, BLACK. In great shape. Gently used. Complete with dope 5 line bar. This is the all time classic Lenten kite. $8,000.00

2016 8m BWS Noise pro limited TDZ fixed bridle edition. BLACK. In near new condition but was left wanting last time out due to delamed valves. Have redone 3 of 8. You likely need to do the rest. $6,000.00

2016 6m BWS Noise pro limited TDZ fixed bridle edition. BLACK. In near new condition. Likely going to need valve reglueing. $5,000.00

Roberts Dill 5'11", 28 L. Hydro flex epoxy. Sick squash tail for when its good. $5,000.00

Tona Pop 142" W/ Ronix boots. Light wear. $4,000.00

A bar if you really need one. Above bar, below bar, whatever you want. Newish lines. $2,500.00

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Amazing deals. If I hadn’t blown my last $7000.00 on a used pump I’d be all over that. :cool2:

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:49 am

:coffee:

Return to “Hydrofoil”