Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil board advice

Postby rnelias » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:38 am

After learning waterstart and gybes I've made the natural shift to a smaller board -- but kept the old and bulk board I've used to learn -- here in my country (Brazil) we don't have access to a bunch of brands and manufacturers as in the USA or Europe but we do have some smaller companies that make very affordable boards. My first choice was a pocket board that ressemble the Duotone Pace's design. 120cm in size x 14L and 2.6kg but this board does not give me much confidence as it seems weak. I've already had to fix some small cracks and decided to go for a new (and "brandy") pocket board. The best options I've found here were F-One pocket carbon boards, that I can't find much information in this forum (in fact, it's hard to find info about F-One foil stuffs in here...). I've just got the 120cm version of this board. Same weight of the previous one but seems to have less volume and is sturdy as a rock. I've not tried it yet and would like to hear if anyone has something to say about these F-One boards.

btw, my foil is also F-One (850 IC6 + 260 stabilizer) and I'm 1.85m weighting 72kg.

https://www.f-one.world/product/pocket-carbon/

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Foil board advisor

Postby Trent hink » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:04 am

A guy I know busted his f-one 120, but he rides like crazy. Deck was delaminating very badly under his front foot.

I got a used (keep in mined used) 2020 slingshot dwarf craft 3’6” last year (about the same size and looking like new) and it is already delaminated under my back foot and has a crack near the rail that is spitting water when I squeeze it.

I ride strapless, and one of my friends recently remarked that I ride more than anyone he knows, but I only got the nerve to try jumping about twice.

For all that effort, you’d think I’d be any good.

Sure, I got it used, but not very impressive for any board that costs close to $1000 usd new, and I think I paid around $700 usd used.

You’d have a hard time convincing me that any fancy board is worth the price.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Foil board advisor

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:36 am

Trent hink wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:04 am
A guy I know busted his f-one 120, but he rides like crazy. Deck was delaminating very badly under his front foot.

I got a used (keep in mined used) 2020 slingshot dwarf craft 3’6” last year (about the same size and looking like new) and it is already delaminated under my back foot and has a crack near the rail that is spitting water when I squeeze it.

I ride strapless, and one of my friends recently remarked that I ride more than anyone he knows, but I only got the nerve to try jumping about twice.

For all that effort, you’d think I’d be any good.

Sure, I got it used, but not very impressive for any board that costs close to $1000 usd new, and I think I paid around $700 usd used.

You’d have a hard time convincing me that any fancy board is worth the price.
What year? I've got an earlier one that's cracked at the front of the track boxes. Apparently the layup wasn't very good in those years...I got it repaired, but the cracks came right back. I've ridden it that way for a couple of years now :D so it proved the small board concept to me, which was it's goal, and I want another one but if yours is a later year, I might hold off for a custom.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:04 pm

No problems with the dwarf to report on my side. Bought it used and had it for 2 years. All strapless (well with front hook) - no jumps.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Love the tray. I was on 94 until it went missing. GF rides a 110 tray. With your level I'd be looking at the 110 tray. Loads of onwater support, light and stiff.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:15 am

No problems with my 2019 3'6" Dwarfcraft. 2 years of use - probably around 300 hours on the water. I don't jump it.

Return to “Hydrofoil”