Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil board advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil board advice

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Well, we don't agree on this one, so it is extremely individual.

Some say the short ones are way more lively and no noticeable low end difference.

I see diminishing returns with many disadvantages when at and below 110-120 cm, and no gain in liveliness anymore.

Others don't and find the super short ones fun.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
airsail (Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ScottKD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Auckland
Gear: CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ScottKD » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Thanks for the (mixed) responses.
Kamikuza wrote: I do think you'd want the 110 if you got a 125. I've also got a 125cm board, and even though it's shaped more like a surfboard it feels more cumbersome...
That's my worry - unfortunately there aren't any to demo where I am.
ieism wrote: I like new gear as much as the next guy but I'm holding off buying a smaller board.

I was riding a session a few months ago when a 12 year old on the same Dwarfcraft 4"6 that I ride was basically riding circles around me, turning the board tight at will and jumping pretty high as well. If that guy doesn't need a smaller board, then I'm fine on it for a second season I think.
I have sold my Dwarfcraft 4'6" with the foil I learned on, so I don't currently have a board :lol:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:12 am

From my experience, and with my very poor knowledge of the latest gear, if you can start easily and do touch-down foot switches, you can't go wrong with the slingshot 3'6" full size (~107 cm.. I think).

Shorter and lower volume boards, might not be a problem for many, but could be for some, especially if you get stuck swimming in.

They still make that board, I hope.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:07 am

I have the 3'6" Dwarfcraft with more volume. It's a bit bulkier & heavier than a true pocket board, but I kinda like the sense that it's an actual "board" rather than a tray with a foil bolted on. From a practical point of view it definitely pops up onto the foil a little more easily in underpowered conditions, is still very short with little "swing weight" & if the Peak goes down it provides a decent platform to swim the kite in on.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:14 am

ScottKD wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 pm
Kamikuza wrote: I do think you'd want the 110 if you got a 125. I've also got a 125cm board, and even though it's shaped more like a surfboard it feels more cumbersome...
That's my worry - unfortunately there aren't any to demo where I am.
Go 110 then. Or DC 3'6" if you want a short board, but not give up the volume...

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 pm

I leant on the Dwarfcraft 4"6 then switched to the Axis tray 110 over a year ago and it was a game changer.
The tracks on the DC are too far back for axis foils. The tray is WAY more balanced. Love the tray, it's a popular board at my spot.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:37 am

Alysum wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 pm
I leant on the Dwarfcraft 4"6 then switched to the Axis tray 110 over a year ago and it was a game changer.
The tracks on the DC are too far back for axis foils. The tray is WAY more balanced. Love the tray, it's a popular board at my spot.
I have my 660/390 right in the middle of the tracks of the DC 3'6"... I like to have a good foot space behind the mast mounting point.

...unless those are newer DC and they've moved the tracks back from what my old Rasta model is...?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am

My story, went down from brand X 140cm board aluminium mast and fuselage to a light full carbon and perfectly balanced setup, 118cm board..(Ketos) the weight difference is the most amazing thing, gives so much freedom. 118 felt small for only a very short time. was way passed touched down jibing so no issue. strapped and strapless.. but after the change I realized I shoud have started with this gear.
I thought the route was (and did) big board -- small board.. but it isn't.. small board, shorter mast, wavefoil is..

After witnessing my 16 yr old son foiling for the first time after 5minutes on my gear (in perfect 12 kts conditions with 12m Soul); foiling both ways ánd flying jibing immidiatly.. I was stunned and convinced. btw after one hour the wind picked up 12-14kts till max 15kts and I gave him my Peak4 5m.. took him 2 starts to realize its a different starting and foiling game with a Peak4 and went out and had big fun in small waves.. i was completely overwelmed.. took me 2 years to get there where he was within totally 2 hours foiling.. with perfect gear.. (on a 70 cm mast and 1200 wavefoil)

My advice take a 115-120 board with full carbon foil and you'll be fine for a very long time. (I still dont see the need for a smaller board for myself)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:12 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm
Kanaha Shapes
is there really any other answer but the smallest/thinnest/lightest board you can source?
personally.. i'd just the email one of the below

https://www.kanahashapes.com/ from usa
i ride a their "pro".. i love it. perfectly balanced. lightweight..super maneuverable.

https://thecarbonco.net/ makes excellent custom boards.. in oz
i've had them clone my kahana board..but with attachmens for straps (and more rocker)
is excellent.. unsure how to improve it now.
very fair prices for top shelf custom boards

in the past.. i've had a custom splitboard made from Newinds guyon facebook.. beautiful cardon board... but was significantly more expensive at that time

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:26 am

Onda wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 pm
https://anton-kiteboards.de/produkt/ant ... -skater-2/

I´ve just received my 100 cm Anton Skater. 1.8 kg. Super stiff and rugged. 100 % hand-made in Germany, by a very experienced shaper & rider (Sven Anton).
I got one of these this year, size 100 x 44 cm. Its wider in the nose and has a good scoop, I don't seem to have an issue with touch downs but I do have a slight issue water starting issue on my weak side, but that's user error.

I went straight from a Shinn Jackson 140 and my foiling has instantly improved on the smaller board, its some much more reactive and I now have far more feeling through the differing axis when foiling :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”