purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil board advice

Postby purdyd » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:27 pm
purdyd wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 am
I like the tray 94 because it is wide and I noticed I was often hanging off the edge with my rear toes on my dwarfcraft micro. The width snd generous nose scope also make it relatively easy to pop the board onto the surface when it is light.
Interesting, I was the opposite.

I found the Tray 110 to be too narrow for my tastes in the rear -- my toes (shoe size 13) were over the edge, and the front a little wide. The DC 3'6" is about perfect -- just enough room at the rear.

Now I bet someone will measure them and tell me the outline is identical :D
The tray 94 is definitely wider than the dwarfcraft micro all the way from front to back. There is definitely more width where the rear foot rests.

Here you can see how it is much wider than the 110, the 110 is listed as 50cm wide so I would say that is too wide as the tray 94 is plenty wide :D
E6799D2D-3F35-4597-BE6E-BE3B8A977666.png
8C5CFB21-0A89-4BDB-9C4B-9E09EFA4E79E.png

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:00 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:24 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:59 pm
Agree elmarco, such a board and size is also what I find the very best allround and for high winds :thumb:

Smaller pocket boards are fun in the summertime, but no advantages, only downsides.

8) Peter
Thanks Peter, I really apreciate your advice, can you explain a bit why you dont recomend boards less than 120 cm? I normaly kite 4 days a week at the sea in 10 knots with 12 M foil kite, so I want a nice board

Thanks, and I sure can.

When boards gets too short, you dont have any "nose kick" (scoop, nose rocker, whatever you call it).

Meaning you can not touch down without a potential crash lurking :roll:

Of course, you can stand with feet extremely close, and then have an even shorter board with nose kick - but for most riders this is not a good stance, especially not if you want to carve hard and have fun.

The agility advantage (swing weight) for even shorter boards is close to zero IMO and experience, it is only a mental thing . but can be important it you THINK it is :rollgrin:
You are talking about riding with a 12 m2 kite?

If you are powered just fine, always, you can use any board also smaller if you like, a 12 m2 foilkite has loads of powerspike.

But if you ever get close to the low end, a tad bigger/longer board will work so much better in terms of pushing the low end even lower.

And there are no downsides whatsoever - as the board is so small and light if 110-120 cm for the average weights, that going smaller does not give any advantages - unless it is all in your mind, and you for some reason WANT it.

The boards 110 to 120 cm also works way better in waves, where the nose will just bump off the whitewater, which the supershort boards wont....

Personal preferences, I know, but when no downsides for this size, choose it, unless you have a desire for supersmall pocketboards mentally.

I know some might disagree, so be it, my experiences at least.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
JoseTumaco (Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:55 am) • Huib (Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:15 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:31 pm

The secret sauce is 109x43. Well, I suppose it scales, but thats the alchemy right there for my average height, on a freeride kite wing w/ moderate mast length.

Small by all standards, but not too small.

Gotta strike that balance between enough width to assist at the low end without limiting lean/carve.

Can be built bomber strong at 2kg.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:06 pm

The alchemy is at 1m, because it fits in my foil bag LOL

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:06 am

User name check out

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:14 am

Thanks to All for this interesting info. Considering it, I am thinking in a board Between 110 and 125 cm long ¿is it really similar or is it better near 125 cm? Only freeride, not for jumping

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:27 am

JoseTumaco wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:14 am
Thanks to All for this interesting info. Considering it, I am thinking in a board Between 110 and 125 cm long ¿is it really similar or is it better near 125 cm? Only freeride, not for jumping
What size and weight board are you on at the moment?

And do you often go out in conditions that are so light that you struggle to get up and flying on the 633?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:57 am

purdyd wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:41 pm
The tray 94 is definitely wider than the dwarfcraft micro all the way from front to back. There is definitely more width where the rear foot rests.

Here you can see how it is much wider than the 110, the 110 is listed as 50cm wide so I would say that is too wide as the tray 94 is plenty wide :D
Oh yeah it really is, isn't it!

I like my DC..definitely don't want more width!

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 pm

https://anton-kiteboards.de/produkt/ant ... -skater-2/

I´ve just received my 100 cm Anton Skater. 1.8 kg. Super stiff and rugged. 100 % hand-made in Germany, by a very experienced shaper & rider (Sven Anton).
I haven´t tried it yet, come from a 120 cm Groove Skate. If I put the two boards on top of each other, it becomes clear that the Anton has exactly the same scoop / rocker line than the Groove. However, the mast position of the Anton is maximum backwards (3 different mast positions possible). While the Groove wastes some 10 cm between back edge of mast and tail edge of board. Hence, the stance on the 100 cm Anton board is almost the same like on the 120 cm Groove board.
Both boards have a very distinct nose rocker, which helps to heal touch downs.

I don´t think that the less lenght is a problem in the waves. Partly due to the big nose rocker, partly due to the fact that a shorter boards will touch the water "later" than a longer board when you angle the board downwards during ride, simply by geometry.
These users thanked the author Onda for the post:
JoseTumaco (Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Onda wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 pm
https://anton-kiteboards.de/produkt/ant ... -skater-2/

I´ve just received my 100 cm Anton Skater. 1.8 kg. Super stiff and rugged. 100 % hand-made in Germany, by a very experienced shaper & rider (Sven Anton).
I haven´t tried it yet, come from a 120 cm Groove Skate. If I put the two boards on top of each other, it becomes clear that the Anton has exactly the same scoop / rocker line than the Groove. However, the mast position of the Anton is maximum backwards (3 different mast positions possible). While the Groove wastes some 10 cm between back edge of mast and tail edge of board. Hence, the stance on the 100 cm Anton board is almost the same like on the 120 cm Groove board.
Both boards have a very distinct nose rocker, which helps to heal touch downs.

I don´t think that the less lenght is a problem in the waves. Partly due to the big nose rocker, partly due to the fact that a shorter boards will touch the water "later" than a longer board when you angle the board downwards during ride, simply by geometry.

This board will have no issues with touching down, as the nose has the exact same curve "forward" as a 110-120 cm board you say, so a good solution indeed :thumb:

Only issue is for those, like me, that always stand with rear foot somewhat behind the mast, not possible, so you have to use a more narrow stance.

Some like narrow stance, others dont :roll:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
JoseTumaco (Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”