Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

position strapless board with just legs - no hands.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: Mar Menor,los narejos ,santa pola ,la llana,
Gear: Ozone Alpha 10 & 8 Catalyst 6 ,Ozone Enduro 10 & 8 ,Groove skate and moses 633,
Boards-north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

position strapless board with just legs - no hands.

Postby mar menor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Need some advice.I can carve to toeside and back to heel both reg and goofy and stay on the foil throughout .Am just learning footswitches and have crashed with foot/feet stuck in straps and am wary about injuring my knee (already not in a good state so need to protect it.So strapless seems way to go (I can ride a surfboard and waterstart strapless but struggle to do it on foil board)
I have a congenital abnormality of my left hand ,no fingers or thumb,if you were being pedantic calling it a hand would be pushing it.I can press down with it but not grip(so diving the kite with one hand and letting go of the board with the other not really an option)
On my surfboard don’t touch the board with my hand at all only use feet. Initially like most people I tried to get the board in the ‘ideal position’ but now can manoeuvre with my feet ,get up quickly ,with less than ideal feet position ,which I re position once up (not sure you can do that on a hydrofoil board!)
Not a problem at all on my current setup (groove skate M and Moses 633,2 front straps only-and it floats on its side 90% of the time) so can use front foot,in strap to lever/maintain start position.
Tried it strapless and managed (on the odd occasion) to body drag feet first ,my feet luckily landing in perfect start position got up no problem. Difficulty is when I have to manoeuvre board into position .Once up riding strapless no problem at all.
Any tips?
Last edited by mar menor on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: position tsrapless board with just legs - no hands.

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Front hook instead of strap?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:36 pm

If the front straps are a V you might be able to rig a strap accross the front inserts to have a strap orthogonal to the centre line just to help with positioning. No experience with that just think I have heard of it being done. Similarly, a knob or rubber duck on the aft most insert might come in useful!

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Re: position strapless board with just legs - no hands.

Postby salvino » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:12 pm

I have same board and foil. I can water start hands free almost every time. Get the board on its side if not already there. Position feet on board (I’m strapless) and as kite moves you will have downward pressure increase through feet to keep them where placed.

It really helps to have kite pulling ever so slightly towards rear foot to keep all aligned. If kite pulls forward it all falls apart.
These users thanked the author salvino for the post:
mar menor (Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:47 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: Mar Menor,los narejos ,santa pola ,la llana,
Gear: Ozone Alpha 10 & 8 Catalyst 6 ,Ozone Enduro 10 & 8 ,Groove skate and moses 633,
Boards-north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby mar menor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:47 pm

salvino wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:12 pm
I have same board and foil. I can water start hands free almost every time. Get the board on its side if not already there. Position feet on board (I’m strapless) and as kite moves you will have downward pressure increase through feet to keep them where placed.

It really helps to have kite pulling ever so slightly towards rear foot to keep all aligned. If kite pulls forward it all falls apart.
Think that is the answer! that was same on surfboard,should have remembered (need better memory)

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Firewire, SS, Lift, Gin, Kitech, Switch

Postby geokite » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Herman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:36 pm
If the front straps are a V you might be able to rig a strap accross the front inserts to have a strap orthogonal to the centre line just to help with positioning. No experience with that just think I have heard of it being done.
That is what I have set up, a length of 3/4 inch wide strapping across the board at the far front. If the wind drops and I'm waiting for a gust to get me going, I can hold the board on my feet as I sin the kite. Once I'm up there front got moves back.

verkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Any beach with wind, warm water, beautiful women and cold beer
Has thanked: 0

Postby verkiter » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:03 pm

I made a single strap out of webbing. Love my Shinn set up but it is HEAVY and does not float on its side.
Makes it easy to position board for waterstart and it’s soft so once up stepping on it isn’t a problem.
43A322D9-4705-406D-9114-56B842F491B9.jpeg

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

I also waterstart hands free a large percentage of the time. Even when using my hand, its just to initially get the board swimming toward waterstart position and Im never actually touching the board once the waterstart begins. I never muscle the board onto its side like I did at the beginning. No, I swim it into shape, usually with pressure on the rail near the tail as the driving spot. With almost any foot placement behind the mast, you can steer it around nicely as foil are very directional. Over that last few years I have learned where to push in order to get it to go into the desired position smoothly with very little effort. If the board is flat on the water, I place my feet like you would on a surfboard, and then pull and sink the tail under me with the rear foot. I do this with shoes on so its not actually that hard. 20x easier with bare feet, but its just fine in shoes. I often swim the board around by playing line tension and feet against the board to drive it forward and onto its side. Keep practicing. I have no doubt whatsoever that you will get it down likely far better than me, as your already used to doing this adaptation in other aspects of life. The one technique tip I can give is that I always have only one hand steering the kite while the other hand is in the water helping control my body position to better act on the foil with my feet. I'm pretty sure you must already do this instinctively.

Hands free board control is absolutely doable. It is much easier when there is little in the way of board volume. My old skim with heavy alloy foil was even easier than my current slightly more buoyant carbon set up, but I've adapted and now do just as many no hand starts as ever. Still, low volume helps a lot.

Getting the board into waterstart position in fluid kite and foot work has been a skill I quite enjoy. Coolest when you water start straight to foil toeside onto a surfable wave face like a no paddle drop in. Love those.

You got this.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
mar menor (Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:42 pm)

Wazza Foil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Plus 1 for foot hook at front.
Easy water start hands free, no risk of getting foot caught and the benefits of strapless.
Plus easier to see your board in choppy conditions, there are no downsides to a foot hook only pluses.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:45 pm

You could use your forearm to tilt up the board, nose downwind, kite pointing the " wrong " way. Then put up back foot, swing kite around to direction you are going to go, lifting up front foot, and take off. This is my normal method, as I'm so inflexible i can't hold board and have feet up on it at the same time. I'm using a sinking foil.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
mar menor (Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:03 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”