Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

position strapless board with just legs - no hands.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
matanshapira
Medium Poster

Re: position strapless board with just legs - no hands.

Postby matanshapira » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Just give it some practice, you will be amazed how hands on the board are not needed once the board is down wind. It's a bit surprising so it may be hard to imagine for you. Just pull the bar a bit and the legs will adjust the board.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: Mar Menor,los narejos ,santa pola ,la llana,
Gear: Ozone Alpha 10 & 8 Catalyst 6 ,Ozone Enduro 10 & 8 ,Groove skate and moses 633,
Boards-north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby mar menor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice.The odd thing I find with foiling is every next level always seems impossible then once you can do it you wonder why you ever thought that? It seems very 'binary' one minute you can't do it ( and feel that you never will )and the next minute you can and it seems easy.Foiling is by far the most enjoyable and most frustrating ,in equal measure,sport I have done.

Think I need more patience ( not really a trait I possess) and 'sacrifice' a session just learning to manoeuvre board into position.

"the trouble with instant gratification is you have to wait too long"

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 am

"the trouble with instant gratification is you have to wait too long"

Great line and definitely applies to me!!!

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Whattheflock » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I can waterstart, handsfree, on my DC3'6" and 633 setup with board flat on the water. More successful in higher wind. Just put your feet on top of the board, back heli loop a couple times until youre ontop of the board and go. In less wind the board sinks under water first, up to my waist usually, but eventually comes up. Fun to play with :P.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm
I never muscle the board onto its side like I did at the beginning. No, I swim it into shape, usually with pressure on the rail near the tail as the driving spot. With almost any foot placement behind the mast, you can steer it around nicely as foil are very directional.
I use a technique that is similar to what @jumptheshark suggested and I remembered filming a clip to show it last year on one of our camps. So quickly chucked it up on IG so hopefully it will show the way I do it:

And some basic steps:
  • Works best when you are powered up but doable in light winds with some practice
  • Have the board downwind, pointing downwind
  • Get a surge of power from the kite, aim your back foot at the back corner of the board
  • Aim to bury that back corner, as the kite flies forward, which will cause the board to pivot around the mast and onto its side.
  • Quickly get your front foot in position and waterstart
  • In lighter winds, when the board pivots around onto its side, you might then need to fly the kite back and forth a couple of times to stabilise the kite and get the board slipping downwind on its edge
There are other techniques but that has worked well for me and has been become second nature so I hardly think about it now. I can be upwind of the board and just do a couple of powered kite loops so I race downwind at the board, and just stick my back leg out, hit the back corner and pivot and up.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post (total 3):
mar menor (Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:54 pm) • jumptheshark (Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:48 pm) • zerogee_ca (Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 pm)
Rating: 20%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Alpha 10 & 8 Catalyst 6 ,Ozone Enduro 10 & 8 ,Groove skate and moses 633,

Postby mar menor » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Big fan of the Progression kitefoiling videos.Even though I watch them over and over ,every time I learn something new ,there is so much detail. As we are locked down, in the area I live in Spain, great opportunity to watch the vids again,do some more kitSOFAing and follow the blog.

Although learning/practicing the techniques is paramount ,equally important is 'mindset'. This changed my attitude and helped me progress :-
https://www.progression.me/blog/kiteboa ... o-love-it/

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:47 pm

mar menor wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Although learning/practicing the techniques is paramount ,equally important is 'mindset'.
Absolutely. I encourage people to "never give up until your lose contact with your board". By continuing to try and correct and mitigate failure right to the bitter end, you will manage to ride out of a much higher percentage of things than if you simply accept falling or failing. This one bit of "mindset" has served me extremely well and has oft times resulted in the "fluke" moment that unlocks the mechanics of a move. That and it just ads a certain tenacity to your riding that sees you push yourself to be dogged in your pursuit of something.

Where with many a golf shot or basketball shot, you know the instant it leaves your hand or club that its not going to go as planned, if you can keep a foot on the board, you can correct, and foiling has so many strange unexpected moments and reactions of the equipment to even minor forces, that I have wobble out of moments that have truly gone sideways only to find myself right where I want to end up.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
robclaisse (Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:58 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Not sure whether it has been mentioned already but for me the early stages of a strapless hands free water start is mostly about using the heels. Getting the heels in the correct position allows you to engage the windward edge to stop the drift and create some line tension. Trying to get your feet flat on the board too soon can be a mistake.

mar menor
Frequent Poster

Postby mar menor » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 am

Looking at the video above you can see,as people have suggested "It really helps to have kite pulling ever so slightly towards rear foot to keep all aligned" . Although you cannot actually see the kite it is clear from the bar angle and more so from the line movement that Rob is doing that.
Looking back to previous attempts I think I wasn't really deliberately doing this so not having enough foot pressure to keep the board in place (except as jumptheshark says when I probably was moving the kite around unintentionally and that's when I managed to get up) it is also very noticeable this is not two separate actions,get board in place then dive kite, it's one continuous action.
Key could be start diving the kite in the intended direction as soon as feet,or even back foot has started pivoting the board?

Return to “Hydrofoil”