jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pocketboard question

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Certainly personal preference how you like to feel while riding. Strapless is a move nuanced balance, where straps allow you to man handle the foil more aggressively.

Personally there are a number of factors. Safety is a big one. I don't want to tweak a knee or ankle, and ride enough it would be inevitable. It also stops me from exploring big airs with a foil. Many love it but just two days ago I was out in nukin conditions and learned that just down the lake a veteran rider known for his amazing airs on foil died. Gave me a real shiver. That's the second time I've come back from a super high wind session to learn someone relatively local had died kiting the same day. Strapless riding with small kites is definitely a conscious choice for me. I have kids and I ride conditions big enough to make me nervous even after 20 years of windsports. I like to know my equipment choices and riding style improve my chances of survival.

In light winds, I really just like the freedom that strapless provides.

True to Purdyd's observations, I preferred to ride surfboards strapless too.

Chestnut
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Gear: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chestnut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Sad to read that our passion took an other life.

I can see that there are benefits in riding with or without straps. The intresting thing to see is what brings the best out of foiling today?

Riding with or without straps
Rinding with three or two straps
Rinding with front straps only
Riding small kites when foiling
Riding with special light kites for foiling or the normal Quiver
Etc..

Or is it all open for someones preferences or style....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Chestnut wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Sad to read that our passion took an other life.

I can see that there are benefits in riding with or without straps. The intresting thing to see is what brings the best out of foiling today?

Riding with or without straps
Rinding with three or two straps
Rinding with front straps only
Riding small kites when foiling
Riding with special light kites for foiling or the normal Quiver
Etc..

Or is it all open for someones preferences or style....

It is all open for personal preference and style, as simple as that :thumb:

Understand all sides of above.

Except for one, I dont understand using front strap(s) only, makes absolutely no sense to me, apart from when being a beginner, or in the learning phase.

You are not free, and you can not jump :(

Pretty sure I will get hammered now saying that, but I am serious :wink:

Around here it is either strapless, or front+rear strap, no "beginner" setups.

Yes, you can cheat into 360's easier, having a front strap - but does not feel good, so as said, part of the beginner trip.

8) Peter

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm
I dont understand using front strap(s) only, makes absolutely no sense to me...

8) Peter
For this:

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm
I dont understand using front strap(s) only, makes absolutely no sense to me...

8) Peter
I agree Peter. I often ride with my back foot in front of my rear footstrap, but when I want to jump, or go fast, or do a 360, I certainly use that rear footstrap. Before I tack or gybe I first remove my foot from the back footstrap (so I tack like in the video above). But I generally feel more solid when I ride with my back foot in the strap. I occasionally ride without any straps and enjoy the freedom too.. it's just a different style.

I also don't understand a single front strap rather than two. How can you tack or gybe smoothly when both feet are momentarily trying to be in the same strap.. Maybe this doesn't matter if you never switch your feet.

:wink: CG

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:50 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm
Certainly personal preference how you like to feel while riding. Strapless is a move nuanced balance, where straps allow you to man handle the foil more aggressively.

Personally there are a number of factors. Safety is a big one. I don't want to tweak a knee or ankle, and ride enough it would be inevitable. It also stops me from exploring big airs with a foil. Many love it but just two days ago I was out in nukin conditions and learned that just down the lake a veteran rider known for his amazing airs on foil died. Gave me a real shiver. That's the second time I've come back from a super high wind session to learn someone relatively local had died kiting the same day. Strapless riding with small kites is definitely a conscious choice for me. I have kids and I ride conditions big enough to make me nervous even after 20 years of windsports. I like to know my equipment choices and riding style improve my chances of survival.

In light winds, I really just like the freedom that strapless provides.

True to Purdyd's observations, I preferred to ride surfboards strapless too.
Am I the only one thinking WTF!?!?

jumptheshark, do you have any more information about this tragedy that you can share?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:07 am

RIP Jason Maloney
well known Canadian kiter who was known for stratospheric jumps (up to 20 meters)

These users thanked the author cglazier for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 am) • alowishus (Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:19 am)
Rating: 6.06%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 am
TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 pm
Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Hi Tom,

Do you think the pocketboards are a trend or the new way for Freeride foiling?
I think it is a "trend"to go really short to 88-90cm. For now. But a 105-110 board is so much more forgiving, with 90% of the benefits of going shorter. So i believe people will settle into 105-110.
As a strong intermediate, I built and tested 90-105-110-120 boards with similar outline and rockers. I found 105 to be best.
I'm 80 kg, 173cm on 1000cm2 foil.

Guys that are lighter, riding in flat water or maintaining super high level of freestyle, like Fred Hope, they will stay with 90cm or a bit under.
Thanksa lot for All this nice advice in this posts. I am in a very similar decisión. I learned foiling one year ago in a 150 cm board and 633 wing, 91 mast. (75 kg). I want to change my board, and reading this thread I think 110 could ve a good option for my level, I am just begining air gibe, (less than 50% succes yet). But my question is if 110 is too dificoult for my level and 120 should be a better option? I only interested in freeride and fun.
If you make quick progress( you learn relatively fast) ride a lot of flat water, then a 110 is going to be fine.
If you ride more wavy, choppy conditions, or are slower learner ( that's me!) a 120 is the way to go.
But we are splitting hairs now. Its not a significant difference in performance/ feeling or difficulties between 110,120.
I can add that board outline and to larger degree, the rocker, might have bigger influence than those 10cm. A flatter rocker will make starts and touch downs more difficult.
If i was you, the deciding factor between 2 boards 110 or 120 would be more an esthetic or availability question.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Using the Kanaha thin 90cm boards. These are for strapless only.
I can never go back to anything bigger, feels heavy and slow in turns. I tried the smallest Kanaha macho pro board I think around 75cm but was a bit tough to hold in chops / powered up and the board has naturally less rocker.
It really depends what you are looking for. For me foiling is all about slow quick sharp turn and carves into waves or even on flat...it just feels amazing and never gets old. Ultra thin and light boards help tremendously, then it depends of course on your weight and foil setup.
At 65kg I ride 60cm mast and 50cm fuselage with usually 800cm2. The shorter mast/fuselage gives me even more quick control in the wave...Im not looking to fly high, I want to be IN the wave not on top and get that smooth carve/quick bottom turn feeling :)
Couldn't care less about speed/racing. I actually want to ride SLOW into the waves, not blow through it in 2 seconds.
pierrewave.png
pierrewave.png (532.08 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 pm

im a small stature 5"6 and weigh in at 150-155 pounds .im trying to understande how the height has any relation to foiling i?s it a leverage thing? i foil and still figuring out tacks and gives.for what is worth! cab anyone shine light?thanks!

Return to “Hydrofoil”