Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Pocketboard question

Postby windfreak74 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:22 pm

come to think about it the only thing that height would relate is proper stance or ideal stance in relation to height and board size.
did i get it?jus bought a 115x 44 cm board coming from a 137x 47.havent eidden the board yet.feeling nervous!!! :lol:

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 pm

had my first session on the Crazy fly Chill 115 x 44.
on the good side really sporty ,felt light and reactive!!my other board is almost a kilo and a half heavier so the lesser weight is noticeble.
deck pad has just the right amount of softness.
board has a front rocker nose of about 80mm which is plenty. board bounces back when touch water. defenitely a more intermediate board and Begginners will have a harder time on this rig, if begginning get the 130x 46.
on the weird side i had an curious effect on the flotation of the board. due to the weight of the aluminum foil the rear part of the board sunk and only the front quarter part of the board stuck out of the water.
in another curious event i breached the wing and took a nose dive which made the front wing get stuck in the mud of the bottom of the river. board did not have enough flotation to rise and it was under water for 3 or more minutes.
i body dragged all over the area and after the brown silt settled down i was able to spot the bright colours dimmed under the water.
that was crazy underwater not crazy fly!!! if the board was black or carbon i wouldnt have found it! keep the top deck bright!!!
i would suggest crazy fly to put more eva padding(thicker) on the back or a thick ridge on the back to improve flotation.
thats my mini review.
i all a weird session!
Last edited by windfreak74 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

codifilo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: South of Spain
Style: foil, surf
Gear: Gong Alu 5'6
Naish Slash 9m and 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby codifilo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm

windfreak74 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 pm
had my first session on the Crazy fly Chill 115 x 44.
on the good side really sporty ,felt light and reactive!!my other board is almost a kilo and a half heavier so the lesser weight is noticeble.
deck pad has just the right amount of softness.
board has a front rocker nose of about 80mm which is plenty. board bounces back when touch water. defenitely a more intermediate board and Begginners will have a harder time on this rig, if begginning get the 130x 46.
on the weird side i had an curious effect on the flotation of the board. due to the weight of the aluminum foil the rear part of the board sunk and only the front quarter part of the boat stuck out of the water.
in another curious event i breached the wing and took a nose dive which made the front wing get stuck in the mud of the bottom of the river. board did not have enough flotation to rise and it was under water for 3 or more minutes.
i body dragged all over the area and after the brown silt settled down i was able to spot the bright colours dimmed under the water.
that was crazy underwater not crazy fly!!! if the board was black or carbon i wouldnt have found it! kkep the top dek bright!!!
i would suggest crazy fly to put more eva padding(thicker) on the back or a thick ridge on the back to improve flotation.
thats my mini review.
i all a weird session!
Do you have an aluminum or carbon foil?
I wonder if it's doable to use a board with so little flotation with an aluminum foil or if it's mandatory or advisable to use a carbon foil with no volume boards otherwise it will tend to sink too often.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm

yes i have an aluminum foil with g10 wings!!! heavy 4.5 kilos!
my guess is that a carbon foil with eps core foam may be lighter !
dont have access to gear store or other riders with better gear.
i was thinking about it and it may have to do with the angle of the stab and the flow of the river pushing the end of the fuselage down!
My simple solution will be to add EVA ridge( yoga block or half circumference eva block) at the back to improve floatation if not enough cheap solution is to build a wood fuselage to gain boyancy at the end of the fulcrum(mast).ive built 2 carbon foils but mast is not ridgid enough. the fuselage will be last resort before buying something new.
my bamboo core carbon foil floats on its side but fells soft/wobly. maybe more carbon will fix ! who knows ill make the adaptations! anyone has reported this sinking problem? im happy to shed weight from 9 kilos to 7,5kilos on the gear but the sinking deal is a bummer! :thumb:

Downwind-missile
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Pine Point
Style: Foil Jumper
Gear: LF impulse foil, cabrinha switchblades, cabrinha apollo's, ikon empire
Has thanked: 0

Postby Downwind-missile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 pm

I just switched from a 4'10" board to the Crazyfly Pure 77cm foilboard with a delta cozumel foil. It's so light and in only 3 sessions I really love it. Everything about the narrower stance and shorter fuselage just makes it all click for me and I feel better on this tiny sheet of carbon than on my old floaty board.

I have been riding it strapless but want to jump again, haha. I can't stand full straps and have 3 slingshot half straps. The Crazyfly pure, they have a nice double set of inserts for a back hook but up front only single inserts. How can I keep a foot hook from spinning around with only one screw holding it down? Was thinking next to the insert sticking a Surface Mount Insert Plate?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 pm

A had an alloy foil (4.3 kg) on a wood skim (4.5 kg) that sat super low in the water. The entire deck pad was doubled for buoyancy and bright neon green, In the "wrong" light, it sat flat on the water. With your head at water level, you could easily lose it. It would also occasionally crash just right to send it pretty deep, after which it would alway come back up at a slow enough rate to worry you.

Current carbon set up is less than half the but also sits pretty flat when its foil down. Has a neon green rail for spotting but its still a concern and I have learned to keep track of the foil at all costs.

I generally don't lose track of it, but both would have been iffy in either washing shore break or river current. They swim so fast !

Stuck in the mud! Never quite did that.

Return to “Hydrofoil”