Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best kite for hydrofoil?

Postby airsail » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Loved my Peak, but our location, a rocky shoreline, didn’t suit the occasional swim in. So I found I stopped trying new things, just being cautious to avoid the swim if I screw something up. It’s easy to loose track of the kite during a bungled tack and as they turn so quick can be in the water in a second.
I’m back on BRM Clouds on my surf foil for swell riding, slightly heavier but magical relaunch, never had a swim in. I’ve also used the UFO, bloody good kite too, I would be happy with either.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
Kitetwin-1 (Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm

jumptheshark wrote: @ kitewin-1

Have you tried a 5m Peak?
I have not tried a peak4 smaller than the 8m, I am only interested in the 8m which is equivalent to an 11m LEI. I am happy with my tube kites 9m and down. When people hear about the peak4 they may on listen to the good side but there is a dark side. So here are a few of my concerns.
1/ You should wear a PFD if riding a foil kite, my bad I don't use a PFD (see relaunch).
2/ Launching is an issue, tight launch area, drift launches etc
3/ Re-launching is an issue, enough said
3/ Won't work on "moist" days
4/ A separate bar per kite is a must.
5/ Sits far back in the window, upwind ability is compromised, yes Im riding a foil so this is not as big a deal.
6/ Flappy when well powered
7/ Tends to want to pull down to the water when handling a large gust or at the upper end of the kite
8/ I have but this is enough for now

Each of the points I have listed has a counter point on the good side. I made up my mind to buy a peak4 and use it before I made a conclusion. So far I am disappointed but then maybe I wasn't expecting these traits only listening to the light air reviews.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 pm

You guys should try a small Ocean Rodeo Aluula Roam.

I've had a 5m Aluula Roam for several months now - does everything just as well as my previous favorite surf-sized hydrofoiling kites ( BRM Cloud E's ) and covers a wider wind rage ( easily covers the range of the 3.7, 4.8, & 6.2m Cloud E's ).

Need a few more cranking winter storm days to decide if the 5m Aluula Roam works in 2.8m Cloud E conditions.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 pm

GregK wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 pm

I've had a 5m Aluula Roam for several months now - does everything just as well as my previous favorite surf-sized hydrofoiling kites ( BRM Cloud E's ) and covers a wider wind rage ( easily covers the range of the 3.7, 4.8, & 6.2m Cloud E's ).

Need a few more cranking winter storm days to decide if the 5m Aluula Roam works in 2.8m Cloud E conditions.

Spot on

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm

I have not tried a peak4 smaller than the 8m, I am only interested in the 8m which is equivalent to an 11m LEI. I am happy with my tube kites 9m and down. When people hear about the peak4 they may on listen to the good side but there is a dark side. So here are a few of my concerns.
1/ You should wear a PFD if riding a foil kite, my bad I don't use a PFD (see relaunch).
5/ Sits far back in the window, upwind ability is compromised, yes Im riding a foil so this is not as big a deal.
7/ Tends to want to pull down to the water when handling a large gust or at the upper end of the kite

Each of the points I have listed has a counter point on the good side. I made up my mind to buy a peak4 and use it before I made a conclusion. So far I am disappointed but then maybe I wasn't expecting these traits only listening to the light air reviews.

Okay, if I did not know better, I would think you were "PMU" :rollgrin:

1. Agree - except it makes no sense with a PFD when experienced, we all know how to get a kite rolled up and get ashore, and a lot easier than with a big double skin kite.
2. What a load of crap ! Drift launches works just fine, a Peak4 on its back :thumb: And especially in tight launch areas, you can get it up anywhere, where other kites cant cope.
3. Relaunch is superfast, but yes, IF it is drowned, you have to swim to it to get it on its back, or swim to shore, so partly true.
3b. It works perfectly in moist or rainy days - you are confusing with double skin kites that can take a lot of water inside and become heavy, not possible with a single skin.
4. You can use ANY bar, so a separate bar isnt needed.
5. Upwind is just as good as LEI kites, but of course lower than higher AR double skin kites.
6. Yes. But you have chosen the wrong size then.
7. Not true at all.
8. You are on the wrong size, as simple as that !!!

Dont know where you got the information from, any thread has pointed out the 8 and bigger are "nothing special" except for the ability to hang in both less, and more gusty wind, than ANY other kite, so you chose the wrong size.
They are not particular light air kites either, compared to UL double skin kites, that speaks for itself - but they dont drop as other kites will, if the wind drops to almost zero - a plus for many riders as you can get safely ashore with a dry kite, opposed to LEI or heavier double skin foil kites :thumb:

Ups and down, but your list is wrong in more than half the points...

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
a99 (Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 am

Kitetwin-1 wrote:

Such a light wind foiler perspective. I bet your disappointed! I read the same thread you did and came away with a totally different understanding. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to see the kite is not very high aspect or efficient upwind. It's pretty plain just by looking at em. You have to be already riding in conditions where you know those are no longer priorities to see their potential. There are obviously much better options for light wind.

Yes you should wear flotation, and a helmet. Its a foil.

Launching and landing are a massive improvement over LEIs in both safety and ease. These kites have opened loads more launch spots for me and of the many kites I have learned to drift launch, Peaks are the easiest. Again, wind is a prerequisite.

They fly in the rain just fine. In ultra light air... no kite does well wet, but Peaks are best in actual wind. Have plenty of rainy sessions on mine, no different than an LEI.

Swapping a bar is about as tedious as it is with any kite and you can fly all your kites Peak and LEI on the same bar. Total red herring argument. Those of us who really enjoy the efficiency of how quick these are to unroll and launch are free to maximize the experience without your derision.

Have never felt the kite want to dive, gust, lull or otherwise. Its the lightest kite on the market both in the air and at the bar and hence easily flown single handed. It also maintains the best handling while sheeted out of any kite Ive flown.

I'm sorry your disappointed, but its all there in the Peak4 thread. Actual wind required. Your critiques are about as relevant as Sabraxas' deriding Clouds as terrible horrible awful kites, and the hype is simply a cult... when he had only ever flown the 17m on a twin tip. For real!

I stand by pretty much every glowing review of the Peak4 out there. I do so with 88 sessions on the smaller three sizes this past season and a track record of speaking truth on this forum since 2004. Peaks have revolutionized my kiting experience every bit as much as learning to foil. 10 - 35 knots, these are hands down my top choice for a carving style of hydrofoiling.

Cloud/Gong/Voager/UFO are all a distinct and distant second place.

Single strut are more of a pacifier for the timid, and three strut kites are really only for those just getting into foiling. If they like it, they will figure it out.

As to the OP, no buddy, a three strut kite is not the best kite for foiling.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:12 am

GregK wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 pm

What’s the kite weight of the 5 mtr Roam?

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 am

So much depends on what you are into. Love my UFO's, but I only foil now and like to try tricks in the swell. UFO's are so good for that, and the relaunch is brainless easy with lots of range. But, no way can a keep up with my racing buddies on foil kites, in large part due to the crazy upwind angles they can achieve. I do see a foil kite in my future, but I would use it when I want to do long distance speed runs--they look to be brilliant for that.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:35 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 am
Kitetwin-1 wrote:

Such a light wind foiler perspective. I bet your disappointed! I read the same thread you did and came away with a totally different understanding. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to see the kite is not very high aspect or efficient upwind. It's pretty plain just by looking at em. You have to be already riding in conditions where you know those are no longer priorities to see their potential. There are obviously much better options for light wind.

Yes you should wear flotation, and a helmet. Its a foil.

Launching and landing are a massive improvement over LEIs in both safety and ease. These kites have opened loads more launch spots for me and of the many kites I have learned to drift launch, Peaks are the easiest. Again, wind is a prerequisite.

They fly in the rain just fine. In ultra light air... no kite does well wet, but Peaks are best in actual wind. Have plenty of rainy sessions on mine, no different than an LEI.

Swapping a bar is about as tedious as it is with any kite and you can fly all your kites Peak and LEI on the same bar. Total red herring argument. Those of us who really enjoy the efficiency of how quick these are to unroll and launch are free to maximize the experience without your derision.

Have never felt the kite want to dive, gust, lull or otherwise. Its the lightest kite on the market both in the air and at the bar and hence easily flown single handed. It also maintains the best handling while sheeted out of any kite Ive flown.

I'm sorry your disappointed, but its all there in the Peak4 thread. Actual wind required. Your critiques are about as relevant as Sabraxas' deriding Clouds as terrible horrible awful kites, and the hype is simply a cult... when he had only ever flown the 17m on a twin tip. For real!

I stand by pretty much every glowing review of the Peak4 out there. I do so with 88 sessions on the smaller three sizes this past season and a track record of speaking truth on this forum since 2004. Peaks have revolutionized my kiting experience every bit as much as learning to foil. 10 - 35 knots, these are hands down my top choice for a carving style of hydrofoiling.

Cloud/Gong/Voager/UFO are all a distinct and distant second place.

Single strut are more of a pacifier for the timid, and three strut kites are really only for those just getting into foiling. If they like it, they will figure it out.

As to the OP, no buddy, a three strut kite is not the best kite for foiling.
PMU must be having a chuckle right about now, I enjoy his rants but no I am not he. These are just my impressions after about 13 sessions, I appreciate you counterpoints and explanations. I am a decent foiler and kiter overall (for an old guy) and this kite is not living up to the positive reviews I have read. Unfortunately there is no just trying a foil kite, you have to buy it and use it to understand the differences. I'm just saying buyer beware. Hey I haven't sold it yet.

Return to “Hydrofoil”