Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot ghost 4m buckling under high winds starting loads.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10 /12
Moses Onda / Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot ghost 4m buckling under high winds starting loads.

Postby leeuwen » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 am

Hi,

I got a Slingshot ghost 4m that I have now used twice.
Both times 25-35 knots territory.
I noticed that when the wind picks up I am able to buckle the kite during my water starts (still beginner, so quite often in the water).
The kite buckles/folds inwards at around 3/4 the the way down.
The second time I made sure to inflate the kite to 10 PSI so that’s not it.

Am I just putting to much load on the kite during my starts?
I am a bit lazy and just use the kite power to get me up, I think I can prevent it most of the time if I am more careful with kite steering so I am doing that but I never had to do that with my other kites.
Eg I don’t have this issue with my 5m airrush ultra or 6m kauper.

In the long run it probably doesn’t really matter because I plan to do less water starting and more riding :) but I just wondered if people have similar experiences.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Re: Slingshot ghost 4m buckling under high winds starting loads.

Postby dave1986 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 am

This really shouldn't happen and really isn't acceptable to just have to put up with it. It sounds like the kite is setup correctly, so i suspect it's a badly designed kite, not designed for such high loading.

A 3 strut kite will perform much better in that wind due to being able to withstand higher loading. So I would suggest sending it back to the shop for a refund/ replacement with a 4m Slingshot SST (Or other 3x strut kite).

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:55 am

I don't have a ghost but if it has different bridle settings you may find one or the other results in less buckling. Worth keeping an eye on for LE for degradation at the buckle point.......

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 am

No-strut kites generally don't like to be overpowered.
If you can, set bridle in the most powered (away from the center) position. Don't use to much depower and keep some tension in the steering lines. If thats not enough, use a smaller and/or struted kite.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 pm

I have no experience with SS Ghost, but i am using other struttles kites for a few years allready (Storm Voyagers and Gong). In winds over 25knots I would surely use a 3m2 kite, that is the smaller size i have. I think you were using a kite that is to big and depowered to much.
Hope you get some answers from some actual Ghost 4 user...

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:53 pm

i use an Ozone Uno 6M for anything over 18 mph. it is also a single strut kite. i've had it out in over 30 mph. it will buckle if i don't pump it rock hard. when it is hard like that, it won't buckle. just a few extra pumps makes all the difference with these small kites. i know you said you pump to 10 psi, but so many pumps aren't that accurate. just make sure it's rock hard. it may be a problem with the Ghost, but at least eliminate the possibility it is underinflated.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:06 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 am
Hi,

I got a Slingshot ghost 4m that I have now used twice.
Both times 25-35 knots territory.
I noticed that when the wind picks up I am able to buckle the kite during my water starts (still beginner, so quite often in the water).
The kite buckles/folds inwards at around 3/4 the the way down.
The second time I made sure to inflate the kite to 10 PSI so that’s not it.

Am I just putting to much load on the kite during my starts?
I am a bit lazy and just use the kite power to get me up, I think I can prevent it most of the time if I am more careful with kite steering so I am doing that but I never had to do that with my other kites.
Eg I don’t have this issue with my 5m airrush ultra or 6m kauper.

In the long run it probably doesn’t really matter because I plan to do less water starting and more riding :) but I just wondered if people have similar experiences.
For other readers, the ghost is a single strut kite.

I have read in my perusing forums at least one or two similar accounts of the kite folding when it is worked hard even in light winds foiling.

Personally if I saw that happen, I would return the kite.

But in my case I have not seen any buckling on the 4m ghost and I do work the kite very hard. But all my time on the kite has been foiling.

I did see a friends kid out on his ghost 4m and a surfboard in high winds and it looked fine. I was on a 5m and surfboard.

I can offer up that small kites are very easy to stall because their angle changes more for a given amount of bar movement than larger kites.

It is very easy when you are trying to start to pull the bar in too far and stall the kite, especially when you are on the low end of the kite and I think it would be hard for me to use the 4m in 25 knots.

So you might try trimming a little less power when it is light or use the knot closer to the kite on the front lines.

Another thing to check is the pressure. You might try another pump. 10 psi is getting to that spot where it is hard to pump.

Also, you might have a leak in a valve or the bladder. Double check the kite when you get back. Sometimes I have seen where the air is warm and the water cold that the kite can get softer. Also, after a good tumble in the waves.

Sling shot does use that bungee attachment in the bridle so it turns better when drifting. That might be a contributing factor but it is also found in the sst.

However my bottom line would be if the kite is properly inflated, it should not buckle. That is the last thing I would want in a high wind kite.

Good luck!
B780821D-548A-47B8-BA7B-4FBDD08C31E6.jpeg

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:10 pm

What pressure do you pump it to? I’d pump mine to 12+ psi
Small diameter struts need and can hold way more pressure.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10 /12
Moses Onda / Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Thx for the feedback so far.
I pumped the kite to 10 PSI on my pump meter (core pump)
The pump has seen quite some use so maybe better to pump some more. (Based on pinging sound the kite makes it seemed ok but I guess the small sizes need more pressure then I am used to)

Will have it a go with some more pressure next time since based upon the comments it sounds like it should not happen.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:37 pm

I don't like kites buckling. Simplistically speaking if a kite is buckling I just go in and pump it harder, within reason. But I have blown the occasional leading edge! About one every 7 years.

If you want to check your pump guage you can measure the area of the internal bore, πrr, bung the hose and stick it on a set of bathroom scales. Eg my pump bore is ~10sq ins, therefore 10 psi requires 100lbf at the pump shaft which is just under half my body weight.
Last edited by Herman on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”