Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot ghost 4m buckling under high winds starting loads.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot ghost 4m buckling under high winds starting loads.

Postby leeuwen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:09 am

Foil wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am
then secondly try not to strangle the kite (pulling too hard on the bar) when power stroking through the window,
Indeed I think this will solve the issue. I was already starting doing this instinctively the moment I noticed the deforming/buckling of the kite and that helped for sure.

Reading from all the other comments it seems like I am not the only one having the issue with this kite and some people with smaller kites from other brands as well.
For me it is good to know that its the design and not my specific kite being a lemon since I can't exchange the kite.
(2nd hand, got it for a steal though, was used once for a few hours in a test with the kite/fabric in absolutely mint condition).

I guess I will have have to be a bit less lazy when getting up onto the foil and keep working on crashing less :D
I think it will be pretty much be a non-issue in few weeks/months.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:25 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:09 am
Foil wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am
then secondly try not to strangle the kite (pulling too hard on the bar) when power stroking through the window,
Indeed I think this will solve the issue. I was already starting doing this instinctively the moment I noticed the deforming/buckling of the kite and that helped for sure.

Reading from all the other comments it seems like I am not the only one having the issue with this kite and some people with smaller kites from other brands as well.
For me it is good to know that its the design and not my specific kite being a lemon since I can't exchange the kite.
(2nd hand, got it for a steal though, was used once for a few hours in a test with the kite/fabric in absolutely mint condition).

I guess I will have have to be a bit less lazy when getting up onto the foil and keep working on crashing less :D
I think it will be pretty much be a non-issue in few weeks/months.
Again you can trim the stall at the bar or kite. In fact I often depower the kite slightly when it is light just to avoid this problem. It is pretty normal to pull the bar all the way to the end when it is light by reflex.

You are always going to fall and have to start on foil. You will get more efficient and learn to strangle the kite less and adjust to the speed of the smaller kites.

Small kites take less sheeting action to change their angle snd they fly faster to it can take awhile to get used to them especially when trying to get up on foil.

At the beginning of the yesr I really struggled on my new 5m evo as it felt really fast and off and on. Now it seems kind of normal. Time in the 4m ghost and 3m ufo helped recalibrate me.

In fact I think the 4m ghost is pretty easy to get up on because it has a nice power stroke and flys well if you let it. But it is not a real grunty kite so if you are looking for bar pressure as feedback you aren’t going to get it. Let it fly.

I’d make sure with your bar fully sheeted in that the front and rear lines are the same length,

Good luck!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:26 pm

I don't have a Ghost, so I can't comment on that. I do have a newly purchased Boxer 3.5m - will be interesting to see how it performs. I've used a 5m Cabo for years & can't say that I've ever had it fold in high winds (30 - 40 knots). I wouldn't really expect to use a 4m LEI kite in more than 25 knots on a foil, & 25 knots isn't a lot of power at all for a 4m kite - that suggests there's something wrong in the design of the small Ghost ... or perhaps as it is designed exclusively as a foiling kite ie. just isn't designed to perform well under really heavy loads. How would a Cloud perform if it was really overpowered?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Clouds are fine under loads but you normally change down before issues arise. I do depower my smaller kites before hitting the water, a 3.7 just doesn’t need the bar throw that the 6.2 needs and it is easy to choke the kite at the initial getting up stage.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Yeah, it happens on single strut kites in high wind with high loads. My uno does the 4m same.

Pump it rock hard and adapt your technique to suit. You are probably throwing your kite too deep in the power zone.
Try the send closer to the edge of the window. Fly the kite more actively towards the edge of the window rather than one big swoop right into the depth of the powerzone.

I can water start in 45 knots on the uno with the adapted edge of the window technique.... or collapse it every time with the deep on the wind water start.

If that's too hard then sell the kite and buy a 3 strut. You can be more hamfisted with a 3 strut kite and send it deep less issues,,,,,,

Return to “Hydrofoil”