Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stab for Spitfire

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stab for Spitfire

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 am

The reason stab tips are pointed up, is to give (a normal foil) yaw stability.

Also felt as good carving feel, called "driving" in surf terms.

It is instead of a rudder, as both simpler and more low drag than a stab with a rudder.

Tips could also be pointed down to get this good effect, but it will be more susceptible for damage when touching the sea bottom.

I don't know this very stab, some stabs has a symmetrical profile and not curved downwards, but I don't know.

The stabilising/driving rudder effect will probably (I am actually quite sure) work in the opposite way (bad) on a canard, when mounted in front.

8) Peter

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Could be....Im just looking for roll stability from the spitfire. The only thing I can think of is anhedral. I will be mounting the 683 to it soon and see how that goes... since Ono foil (which I think has anhedral stab) is not an option anymore.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:45 pm

NYKiter wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:44 pm
Could be....Im just looking for roll stability from the spitfire. The only thing I can think of is anhedral. I will be mounting the 683 to it soon and see how that goes... since Ono foil (which I think has anhedral stab) is not an option anymore.

I wonder why you feel it is not roll stable?

It is the std Spitfire wingset right?

I have ridden it a lot, and later also the XLW wingset.

Both of them were REALLY stable IMO, in every way, no issues.
Of course the STD is more pitch sensitive, well actually not, but you have to get used to having the pitch "feel" on your front foot suddenly, takes only a short time though :D

The STD was just a bit too small for my liking, and foilwing sizes nowadays, but a fun and lively foil.

The XLW were too slow turning for my liking, size and riding speed perfect yes, but the bigger wingset (front wing of course) dampened it.

So a "normal" foil big wing supersmall stab, was more lively when turning and riding waves.
At least what I found, dont know what others have found when tested for a longer time?

When is it you miss more roll stability?

Normally this is what we all love, to get a lively foil that can be turned around both roll and yaw, when riding waves, so low AR wings are great.
The cost is of course it starts a bit later, and goes less high upwind, when low AR.
But a smaller stab has no cost, performing at least the same, and more lively and fun in waves :rollgrin:

8) Peter

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:10 am

I gave it a few months. But the flat wings are not supportive of gusty winds...which is all we tend to get in these parts.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 am

NYKiter wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:10 am
I gave it a few months. But the flat wings are not supportive of gusty winds...which is all we tend to get in these parts.

I can't see any connection between gusty winds and flat/curved wings, why do you think there is?

8) Peter

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:57 pm

It makes sense that an anhedral wing would push a foil in multiple directions and help with roll stability.....besides just a single direction - being up on a flat wing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”