Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why fixed, ancient windsurf strap setups for foil boards?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Why fixed, ancient windsurf strap setups for foil boards?

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:56 am

I just wonder, why the foil industry hasn't found out a path of just copying 35 year old windsurf strap setups for our foilboards.

I might be wrong, but from an engineering perspective, I see a complet different demand for strap requirements of both sports which are nearly not compatible in detail.

When people ask me to test their foils with serial strap setups, I cant stand those straps for their poor performance controling manouvers, remember on monofoils a lack of control is just no option.
On top I am also scared to hurt with those serial strap setups. :o

For the case you are interested to try some of my changes for your boards, the first changes are easy and adeptable to most boards and straps:

https://kj4l.com/?p=396

And a short video showing a few of the features:

These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 2):
revhed (Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:01 am) • bohme (Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:31 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Why fixed, ancient windsurf strap setups for foil boards?

Postby revhed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:14 am

Great idea! :thumb:
I do a little the same but very low tech.
Thru holes in home made carbon boards using 5 mm ss, inox screws and wing nuts on top with star lock washers.
Rounded heads on bottom with wide flat washer, and anti crush carbon tube inside board hole.
I do this on an older board to test stance spacing and various dense foam foot hook ideas as well as straps.
Does take some time to instal, change and one needs to clean sand with fresh water.
Also needs screw driver and strap padding over wing nuts and recessed holes for hard foam foot hooks.
I sure like your idea as is fast but one needs to be very sure where placement is BEFORE loxx placed.
I also like idea of much wider strap spacing and stiff straps.
All this said I find myself strapless, foothookless most of the time as do not jump so much or race.
R H
Almost forgot...
Great thinking outside the box to mount rear strap, rear hole using inside location, I will test this!

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:02 am

interesting idea :idea: , click on, click off.. like it.. makes me think off my straplocks for the quitar.. (which I haven't touched too long.. :( )
negs to me; costs & bare feet strapless pain.. I bet the knobs hurt on my flat deck with 5-6mm pad.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:30 am

revhed wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:14 am
I also like idea of much wider strap spacing and stiff straps....
Thank You,

I also seem to be not the only one, who prefers a wider strap base spacing, check Alan Cadiz:

@Janus
I think in the future I try to find the perfect shape to laminate the knobs directly into board as much lowered that they even bare foot doesn't disturb anymore. My red board is already close to this shape of the bases. For the actuall boards I think about looking for some kind of 6 mm high plastic vulcano to clip over the knobs ... but I am nearly only strapped so at the moment not so important for me. Just to lay down the straps is something I use every day for packing and sometimes for triming to a stance that fits better for the conditions in the given moment.

Return to “Hydrofoil”