Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong pro MT first impression

Postby TomW » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:36 pm

I think step from Pro M to Veloce is good amount of difference. The MT is inbetween. Much smaller step between curve M and MT than MT to Veloce M.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 pm

When I look at the gong site I don't see any MTs - just freeride, freewave and veloces....

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:32 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 pm
When I look at the gong site I don't see any MTs - just freeride, freewave and veloces....
It's a bit confusing. I see it in this section of "Surf foils":

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... pro-clear/

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Ah thanka. So what's the relation to the foils listed in the kite section? Is this series the same as the "freewave" but now with the "tall" variants added?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:50 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:37 pm
Ah thanka. So what's the relation to the foils listed in the kite section? Is this series the same as the "freewave" but now with the "tall" variants added?
Yes. As I said - it's a bit confusing. There's no reason to think the "tall' variants are particularly oriented towards surfing.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:10 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:50 pm
I have made 3 orders so far to Canada the last one was in October no issues I always paid in Euros with a CC card since that was the only option. Shipping is outrageously expansive to Canada I have been looking at the carbon masts but damn.. if they had a reseller in North America and the shipping was not like 50% of the order I would buy more their gear...
I seem to recall that shipping my Gong foil to the US only cost about 100 Euros, which was more or less equivalent to the 20% VAT taken off their listed price. No duty & no tax applied in the US. I picked it up in Buffalo at the end of a trip & brought it into Canada HST free.
For me the last foil the M Pro it was 120 euros to Canada and then another 115$ in brokerage fees and taxes so about 300$ certainly something to factor in the total price. My last purchase the smaller stabilizer was 40 euros shipping for an 79 euro part then fits in a tiny box and weighs less than a pound. The carbon/ fuselage combo is quite large the shipping must crazy on that.

And yet I recently ordered roof racks for my car from Europe 120$ and shipping was included and no tax..

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:43 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:10 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:50 pm
I have made 3 orders so far to Canada the last one was in October no issues I always paid in Euros with a CC card since that was the only option. Shipping is outrageously expansive to Canada I have been looking at the carbon masts but damn.. if they had a reseller in North America and the shipping was not like 50% of the order I would buy more their gear...
I seem to recall that shipping my Gong foil to the US only cost about 100 Euros, which was more or less equivalent to the 20% VAT taken off their listed price. No duty & no tax applied in the US. I picked it up in Buffalo at the end of a trip & brought it into Canada HST free.
For me the last foil the M Pro it was 120 euros to Canada and then another 115$ in brokerage fees and taxes so about 300$ certainly something to factor in the total price. My last purchase the smaller stabilizer was 40 euros shipping for an 79 euro part then fits in a tiny box and weighs less than a pound. The carbon/ fuselage combo is quite large the shipping must crazy on that.

And yet I recently ordered roof racks for my car from Europe 120$ and shipping was included and no tax..
I just checked: I paid 100 Euros to ship the Pro foil to Buffalo, a little over a year ago. It's possible that it's a bit more expensive to ship to Canada. The HST is something you would have to pay anyway on something you purchased in Canada. I'm guessing the carbon/fuselage combo wouldn't be significantly more expensive than the MPro which, as you know comes in a pretty large case. It would certainly be lighter - I'm not sure if that would reduce the price at all ... possibly not. The stabilizer at 40 Euros for shipping is more of a problem ... but, unfortunately, I think that's about right for shipping a small parcel across the Atlantic.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm
I think that's about right for shipping a small parcel across the Atlantic.
I was looking at a Hipe and a Foil, shipping quote was 275 Euros to US.

I tried paying in Euros again with no luck. I don't really understand why they keep cancelling my order. Oh well, I give up, I'm going to buy something else.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:30 am

I’m only guessing, but I think Gong might be charging way more for their overseas shipping than they actually pay the shipping companies, and this is a part of their profit.

I like my Gong products but the shipping to the USA is pretty steep.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:45 am

I don't think Gong's shipping charges are out of line. To put it in perspective, I just paid $55 US to have a kite bladder, shipped in a padded envelope, from Hood River to Ontario. It was sent Priority Mail Express... & still took 12 days to arrive (possibly due to Xmas). Traveled from Hood River to Portland to San Francisco to Seattle to Vancouver to Ontario. :-? Was charged HST also, which brought the total to over $240 CDN ... for a replacement kite bladder. That's probably more than the kite's worth at this point. :cry:
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
loco4viento (Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”