Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

Postby cglazier » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 am

Agreed. My 12m Boxer is easy to use and easy relaunch. I foil with it in winds as low as below 10 knots. Usually I just pull on an outside line to relaunch, but in very light wind I just pull on the opposite front line too (this is much more effective and easier than attempting a reverse launch in light wind).

My friends running a kite school in Baja like to teach lessons with Boxers because they are easy for beginners.
Last edited by cglazier on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am

I have owned several different single struts kite I prefer the Boxer and the Ultra the Boxer feels more like a regular kite the Ultra is a bit lighter and it's great in super light wind. The Solo was a huge dispointment it was super heavy and didn't drift well. The Mono has a small wind range and you get overpowered very quickly. I now have 5-7-9 Boxer and 12m Ultra and the perfect foiling quiver for me!

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:36 pm
I've been on Clouds for 5 years. I then purchased a 2020 Naish Boxer thinking I'd move away from strutless. Nice kite but my gawd was it a bear to water relaunch in light conditions. I know you're asking about 1-strut.... But I absolutely love my 5 & 8m 2020 OR Roam Aluula 3-strut kites. In so many ways they act like a strutless or 1-strut: Pivot turns, super drift, reliable simple relaunch, none of that fluttery bad control when sheeted out..... but the noteworthy improvement over a Cloud is it predictable power in all areas of the wind window with no dead spots. The weight DOES matter. When I place this 8m on a scale next to my 8m Cloud, the Roam in lighter. And I can definitely assure you that this aluula flies in the super low winds as good or better than a no-strut.

My sessions:
%80 foil with large surf wing
%20 directional surf board (this is only in strong winds & Gorge swell)
My friend struggles a bit relaunching the aluula roam 12m in very light winds. I will tell him about also pulling in opposite front line. I used it in 10+ kts and you are right it is a true pleasure to fly.

Return to “Hydrofoil”