Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

Postby junebug » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:52 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:12 pm
The only people who seem to be able to ride around here in 6 knots are the purebred racers on 18 and 21m race kites and even then, they don't bother.

I had a 12m cloud for a few years and could barely keep it in the air in 6 knots.
Yeah, I can't keep my 12m Boxer in the air at 6kn. At 7kn I can mostly keep it flying and mostly get up and going, but more likely a slight lull will cause problems. The anemometer needs to read a steady 8kn for me to even consider going, and even then, I'll only go out at 8kn if I'm desperate. I really need 10kn to have fun (on the 10m) in flat water and 12kn (on the 7m) in waves.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:
Kiterisland (Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:25 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:20 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:12 pm
The only people who seem to be able to ride around here in 6 knots are the purebred racers on 18 and 21m race kites and even then, they don't bother.

I had a 12m cloud for a few years and could barely keep it in the air in 6 knots.
The racers need those big kites because they have small high aspect racing wing. Basically if the 12m stays in the air I can get going on the 633. You have to keep it moving in the lulls otherwise it will fall from the sky. I would not go out when it's this low but when you're far away and you want to make it back you manage you pump the foil you keep the kite moving and you do everything you need to make it back it's easier than swimming.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:24 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Yes the reason you get a single strut kite is not for extra power it's mostly because they are lighter and when you go down wind on a hydrofoil in very ligth wind the speed at which you go down wind is subtracted from the speed of the wind so if you go down wind at 5 knots in 10 knots there is only 5 knots left in your kite and a heavy kite will fall from the sky. I have been out many times where people on single struts were kiting and the 3 struts with very skilled riders where all in the water unable to relaunch.

To answer your question my 12M gets me going in about 6 knots on the Moses 633 foil so with your weight I would say 8 knots there is not a big difference between heavier riders and smaller one because the foil cancels out your weight once your planning.
Very interesting and good point. This makes sense for me, funny you actually may not being able to go down wind in light wind. 8 Kts on a 12 sounds like a dream

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: SLINGSHOT, NORTH, moses, some ozone,
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:30 pm

i'm surprised the ghost has not been mentioned,,, has it been ruled out for lightwind?

Return to “Hydrofoil”