Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

Postby knot_moving » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 pm

creating a new specific "1 strut hydrofoil topic"
Shadow Jack wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:13 pm
Ok, I see huge difference in kites, according to riding style. Racing is different universe for sure. Here we talk on surfing-like freeride. Other thing that we must keep in mind - is conditions. Kiting in sea or ocean is so much differs from lake kiting (as we do). For example - here on a small lakes we have low wind close to the surface, but much better - on 20m altitude (I know, it’s general rule, but on a closed water its much more critical), density of the wind is different, even gusts are not the same (on a lake gusts are shorter, air is more turbulent).
So, kites, which are best for usage on salty water are definitely not the best for sweet-water kiting. For example I would never use Peak here, cause it’s will be too difficult to relaunch. Same, as no-strut kite. As I see from here - my best choice for surf-style foiling (slow, learning and progressing, carving) on the big wing (1200cm) in continental conditions (flat water, closed lake, gusty lightwind around 10knots) are single-struts 10-11m.
Important parameters will be:
-driftability
-low-end grunt
-stability
Significant marks in kite design:
-weight of the kite
-thin LE and flat canopy profile
-square "ears"?
In that case what kite would you recommend? Could you rate that options: Ozone Alfa, Airush Ultra, F-One Breeze, Slingshot Ghost, Naish Boxer, Gong Unik?
airsail wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:47 am
I’ve used Ultra’s, Peaks, Clouds and UFO’s. For relaunch the Clouds and UFO’s are the go in 10 knots and over, 6.2 in the Cloud or 7 mtr in the UFO.
The low aspect no struts just roll over and launch so easy. If you need a strut look at the Slingshot Ghost, very similar to the UFO but with a strut. I don’t trust the bigger size no struts, I have the 8mtr Cloud, gets me going in 7 knots but iffy relaunch in that light wind.
The Ultra was ok, but not dedicated for foiling and relaunch could be a pain sometimes, needed more wind to launch than the Cloud as it doesn’t roll over as well.
I owned the 4 mtr Peak 4, great kite, great drift, but I’d rather be kiting than swimming and as I was learning tacks I started feeling like I was training for an Olympic swimming event.

richy-c
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Re: Recommended 1 strut for big wing hydrofoiling?

Postby richy-c » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 am

I have an ozone Alpha 12 and a naish boxer 9 for freeride foiling on a big wing . Recently demod some Airush ultras and they felt flappy and flimsy in comparison .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 pm

Are you also seeking advice on these?

As I can understand, it is for gusty lake foiling with little wind on the surface, so relaunch is essential, and also the ability to drift ashore without having to pack a foil kite down.
And it should be very "C" like, with wide tips - why?

For kitelooping?

Wouldnt it be better having a more "bridled" like kite, with huge range, when gusty lake winds?

Can see the advantage and liking for superlight 1 strut kites, if you put it in the drink often :thumb:
Another path could be to use a kite that dont drop, but can understand this is not a desired choice for some.

Ozone's were superlight I know, but havent flown them myself...
Friend of mine had these, but sold them again, because he likes to ride really powered, where they apparently wasnt as good as other LEI's.
But very few like to ride so powered, so I think they could be amazing, if relaunch is good.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
knot_moving (Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:59 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:17 pm

Ive used Liquid Force Solo v3 in 3.5, 5 and 7m.

They are fine. I had a really good time on the 5 a few times, some decent times on the 7, and pretty disappointed in the 3.5m.

The good times on the 7 and 5 were before I got a Peak. Went back to the 7m once and realized I'll never use that again, then played with the 3.5 back to back with a Peak4 3m just to make sure I wasn't missing something. I wasn't.

They relaunch well, but you need 10 knots to be reliable. Below that clouds were better relaunch and faster and just generally more fun.

Decided pretty quick that one strut is a full on compromise. Likely suits big sizes (9-11m) Below that I would way rather strutless.

I'm sure they vary in performance plenty, so either try em or read a lot. Think If I had no choice, I'd likely settle for the Naish single strut. Have always liked how Naish kites fly.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 pm
Are you also seeking advice on these?

As I can understand, it is for gusty lake foiling with little wind on the surface, so relaunch is essential, and also the ability to drift ashore without having to pack a foil kite down.
And it should be very "C" like, with wide tips - why?

For kitelooping?

Wouldnt it be better having a more "bridled" like kite, with huge range, when gusty lake winds?

Can see the advantage and liking for superlight 1 strut kites, if you put it in the drink often :thumb:
Another path could be to use a kite that dont drop, but can understand this is not a desired choice for some.

Ozone's were superlight I know, but havent flown them myself...
Friend of mine had these, but sold them again, because he likes to ride really powered, where they apparently wasnt as good as other LEI's.
But very few like to ride so powered, so I think they could be amazing, if relaunch is good.

8) Peter
I am still putting the kite in the water a lot & expect it to be that way for a while. Also we have lots of marginal days. My situation is a bit different than ShadowJacks, but I still think that a one strut is where I am most comfortable. I don't want a c-style kite. I should know more about what makes a kite relaunch easily. Of big light-wind kites I've owned, I would have to say the turbine relaunced the easiest, even though it wasn't the lightest. My flite is much lighter and flies in winds the turbine wouldn't & relaunches pretty good - but its too big. I am looking for something in 12m range that has great relaunch and so am focusing on the one struts with best relaunch. I will see if I can find an ozone around here to try.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:36 pm

I've been on Clouds for 5 years. I then purchased a 2020 Naish Boxer thinking I'd move away from strutless. Nice kite but my gawd was it a bear to water relaunch in light conditions. I know you're asking about 1-strut.... But I absolutely love my 5 & 8m 2020 OR Roam Aluula 3-strut kites. In so many ways they act like a strutless or 1-strut: Pivot turns, super drift, reliable simple relaunch, none of that fluttery bad control when sheeted out..... but the noteworthy improvement over a Cloud is it predictable power in all areas of the wind window with no dead spots. The weight DOES matter. When I place this 8m on a scale next to my 8m Cloud, the Roam in lighter. And I can definitely assure you that this aluula flies in the super low winds as good or better than a no-strut.

My sessions:
%80 foil with large surf wing
%20 directional surf board (this is only in strong winds & Gorge swell)

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:27 pm

For light wind water relaunch, play with the opposit front line and don`t oversheet. Then the water relaunch of a 2020 9m Boxer works great. Also the solid, more opened shape gives him the performance of most 3 strutters. It could be a bit lighter.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Breze wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:27 pm
For light wind water relaunch, play with the opposit front line and don`t oversheet. Then the water relaunch of a 2020 9m Boxer works great. Also the solid, more opened shape gives him the performance of most 3 strutters. It could be a bit lighter.
You are correct with that... opposite front line (2020 Boxer). I also was a bit perplexed on it's less than great performance on a reverse launch. Maybe my lines are heavy (2019 North Click Bar).... but I couldn't get it to lift up like my Clouds & Roams.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Yes the Boxer only do the revese launch with feet on the ground and stronger wind. Useless for foiling

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Other than short demos, the only single strut kites I have experience with are Solos and Boxers. I hated the Solos and love the Boxers. I have 12m, 10m, 7m, 5m and 3.5m. Covers me from 8kn to 25kn or so.

I ride slow, surf style and in waves when we have them. I like the quick turning, gutless loops, good power at apex for transitions, good drift (for an LEI) and easy relaunch. The relaunch is excellent sitting on the board and using the opposite front line technique. I ride underpowered and never have trouble relaunching even at the bottom end of the range.

They do flap a little when sheeted out but, from what I have seen, no more so than any other single strut.
Last edited by junebug on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”