surprising development with booties, need windproof type

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

surprising development with booties, need windproof type

Postby papasmerf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 am

coming across an unexpected problem with my booties while hydrofoiling. i got some nice new booties, 5mm,,, more than warm enough for me but when hydrofoiling, i noticed as soon as i water start, the fact that i am up in the air and going 15 mph into the already 15+ mph wind,, the water that is in the fabric of the booties starts evaporating,, and freezing my feet. it's ridiculous. i probably am in the water more than i should be as i am trying to progress so i crash more, but i think i need some booties that have the smooth style neoprene skin,,, kinda hard to find in my size 12 or 13. the booties i got are diving booties that have a decent sole for my rocky conditions.

has anyone else noticed this while hydrofoiling, or is it just me?

if so,, what round toe, smooth skinned booties did you find that were more windproof. think i might need to get 7mm now,, can't find any xcel anywhere.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: surprising development with booties, need windproof type

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 am

I dont know how much of your current booties which are "not smooth".

But really warm and good feel is the 6.5 mm Atan Hot Mistral: https://www.24-7boardsports.com/atan-ho ... surf-boot/

I only use the 3 mm ones, all winter - awesome barefoot feel, but the sole is of course thin so dont walk too long on the "road" - or wear crocs outside when walking on land :D

8) Peter

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 am

papasmerf wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 am
coming across an unexpected problem with my booties while hydrofoiling. i got some nice new booties, 5mm,,, more than warm enough for me but when hydrofoiling, i noticed as soon as i water start, the fact that i am up in the air and going 15 mph into the already 15+ mph wind,, the water that is in the fabric of the booties starts evaporating,, and freezing my feet. it's ridiculous. i probably am in the water more than i should be as i am trying to progress so i crash more, but i think i need some booties that have the smooth style neoprene skin,,, kinda hard to find in my size 12 or 13. the booties i got are diving booties that have a decent sole for my rocky conditions.

has anyone else noticed this while hydrofoiling, or is it just me?

if so,, what round toe, smooth skinned booties did you find that were more windproof. think i might need to get 7mm now,, can't find any xcel anywhere.
Exact same problem. Only part of me that gets cold is front foot when foiling. Miserable. Still searching for a solution.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am

Have not tried it myself but you can have a look at rain shoe covers and put them over your booties.
Probably needs some model that you can secure properly so you don't lose them if you have a swim but I *guess* it will work.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 am

But really warm and good feel is the 6.5 mm Atan Hot Mistral: https://www.24-7boardsports.com/atan-ho ... surf-boot/

I only use the 3 mm ones, all winter - awesome barefoot feel, but the sole is of course thin so dont walk too long on the "road" - or wear crocs outside when walking on land :D

8) Peter
That's a good option, thanks! They are not smooth skin, probably even better - dipped in some rubbery coating.
This can also be done with a pair of old booties - 'paint' them with silicone sealant like Sikaflex 291i or 292i.

I would also highly recommend the Solite boots - the perfect (customizeable) fit and rubber lower part against windchill. Available in upto 8mm!
Attachments
ATAN BOOTS.JPG
ATAN BOOTS.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
SOLITE 8mm.JPG
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
edt (Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Man the feet sure do get cold hydrofoiling. Good post.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff

Postby papasmerf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
peter , you are always 2 steps ahead of everyone else. how do you do it? experience and hours on the water I would reckon.

sadly, i can't find any aton boots outside the uk and those shops apparently don't ship outside europe! grrrr

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby papasmerf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
That's a good option, thanks! They are not smooth skin, probably even better - dipped in some rubbery coating.
This can also be done with a pair of old booties - 'paint' them with silicone sealant like Sikaflex 291i or 292i.

I would also highly recommend the Solite boots - the perfect (customizeable) fit and rubber lower part against windchill. Available in upto 8mm!
hi nix, long time.

the solites are nice, i have a pair. but a thin summer version. their 8mm would work good i think except maybe for my rocky environment.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm
sadly, i can't find any aton boots outside the uk and those shops apparently don't ship outside europe! grrrr
http://atan.fr/en/

I guess they will brexship to the UK :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 pm
papasmerf wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm
http://atan.fr/en/

I guess they will brexship to the UK :D

It is just opposite I think, UK got these, often in many shops and sizes, but he is in US.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Frankieboy (Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”