Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Short Foilboard water start tips?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
trnsprt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Frisco, N.C.
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Desoto, FL. Sprecklesville, HI. Hatteras National Seashore, Fire Island, NY.
Style: Learning
Gear: Slingshot Rallys, SS Wave SST's, Naish Boxer. SS Asylum. Nobile Split Hydrofoil. SS Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Short Foilboard water start tips?

Postby trnsprt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:16 pm

I'm a sometimes foiler. I travel with the foil but it isn't my primary choice. Point is while I'm a proficient foiler, I'm not a dedicated foiler, so I'm dumb essentially when it comes to foiling.

So, I've just transitioned away from my beginner rig, which has been a Nobile Split Foil. ride it strapless, can jibe, can fall at high speeds and hurt myself so I feel like I am doing fine.

I'm appx 200lbs My new board is 3' and the foil is a 1200 normally use a Strutless 9m. I had ZERO luck waterstarting it on my first session. Eye opening. Everything I've done before didn't work. I biased my front foot heavily to prevent the larger (to me) foil from breaching on my starts but it just wanted to shoot up. Or when I did get up over the board I'd pearl the nose and sink.

So, any good tutorials for water starting a smaller board? I've read you need to get right up on the foil. Is that just a learning curve thing and I'm going to have to put in the time?

Any advice or links would be appreciated.
Tom
Last edited by trnsprt on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer/Mikes Lab kite, Ozone/Moses wing

Re: Short Foilboard water start tips?

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 pm

You need to weight your back foot until the nose is above the surface. You won’t be able to foil with the board underwater, so you need to get the nose up and then flatten the board with more front foot pressure. Take advantage of the foil wanting to shoot right up to get the nose up, then flatten.

trnsprt
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Desoto, FL. Sprecklesville, HI. Hatteras National Seashore, Fire Island, NY.
Gear: Slingshot Rallys, SS Wave SST's, Naish Boxer. SS Asylum. Nobile Split Hydrofoil. SS Celeritas

Postby trnsprt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. It must be timing. It felt like the moment I powered the kite the nose was popping up and I didn't have time to flatten. I'm sure you're right. Almost like a pump. Power kite, nose up, pump down and back up without powering kite too much.

Sounds like I'll be learning to foil again for a few sessions.

Thanks

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: New Brighton- nr Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough
lake Como (Italy)
Style: improving kite foiler since 2017
Gear: Groove Skates 110 and 120 custom graphics and volume 2021 editions
101cm + 91cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 718 /421 on the smaller lighter kite fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V4 foil kite 11mtr, red
duotone click bar 2020, custom lines
duotone 2021 click bar (waiting for delivery)
ION B3 seat harness, now waiting 7 months for delivery:o
massive grin

Postby Foil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:19 pm

trnsprt wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm
Yeah, that makes sense. It must be timing. It felt like the moment I powered the kite the nose was popping up and I didn't have time to flatten. I'm sure you're right. Almost like a pump. Power kite, nose up, pump down and back up without powering kite too much.

Sounds like I'll be learning to foil again for a few sessions.

Thanks
Yes this is a problem that I had not known about myself,
that is until my 110 board arrived a few weeks back
normally I am up and away in a flash on my 120 without any failed starts on any water state,
But then my first session on my 110 was a flipping nightmare, the same problems you mentioned above, the harder I tried the worse it got,
I ride full strapped so thought I had screwed the straps to far forward, and then thinking my mast was too far back, it took me around 20 to 30 goes before I realised that more back foot pressure and sometimes pointing more off wind worked,even being a tad more aggressive with the kite to the point of just trying downlooping with gusto from behind, which of course works well if a little bit extreme, but then after a bit more practice it became just as easy as using my longer board.
It was a bit of a shock though, to feel like a newbie for a session was not what I was expecting, and getting going on my weak side from a water start is still not that easy compared so my "huge" 120 board, never thought that 10cm would be such a big difference.
8th session in now with my little 110, and well happy now, waves are more fun, the board can be pinwheeled around, it feels like I am sailing around stood on top of a mast, and jumping is just the same, I did fear the nose dipping on landing but its not happened after my first time getting it wrong, if anything- because I am more aware of the need to use my back leg more on landing then my "dry board" landings have increased, so result there!
I do wonder how many others have had this wake up call like us.
funny how I was blaming everything else and not me.
:thumb:
Last edited by Foil on Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
trnsprt (Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:25 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jyoder » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Is your back foot behind the mast? Try moving it forward slightly. Counter intuitive, but having a shorter stance with your back foot right over the mast helps dampen porpoising on water start. Porpoising is caused by over correction. Once riding, wider stance is more stable.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
trnsprt (Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm)

trnsprt
Rare Poster

Postby trnsprt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Foil...absolutely. Exactly how my session went. I guess that's the fun of what we do? Otherwise it'd be boring. Thanks for sharing your experience, it gives me hope LOL.

Jyoder...yes, but I'll double check my setup if I get back out today. Maybe I had the mast in the forward setting? I'll double check today. I did make sure I was placing my back foot on top of the mast or slightly forward after the first few porpoises. It was also a little fluky wind yesterday so not a steady day for trying new gear. I probably should have used a slightly larger kite. Thanks

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 pm

hello trnsprt,
this is what made my first waterstart click
when waterstarting instead of diving the kite from 12 to 3 and getting a downward pull try to get the kite from 3 to 12 to pull some off the weight up and then dive the kite forward to get going.that somehow helped me equate feet pressure on board and takeoff easier.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm

As foil pointed out, its a self limiting question.

Loads of us have been surprised by how something we thought we were good at is beyond us with a simple parameter change. Then we dive into a whole "set up" fiddling fiasco all the while denying that we ourselves are the issue.

Give it a week of good wind and you will have forgotten all about it.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
trnsprt (Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:39 pm

I’d make sure that feet position as related to mast mount is same as you’re used to. Sometimes tracks are positioned differently and it’s easy to place the mast too far forward and have to stand on front foot barely able to keep foil down, or too far back - not even having a chance to fly up.

I didn’t have any challenge going from large boards to small ones except for extremely light winds

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm
As foil pointed out, its a self limiting question.

Loads of us have been surprised by how something we thought we were good at is beyond us with a simple parameter change. Then we dive into a whole "set up" fiddling fiasco all the while denying that we ourselves are the issue.

Give it a week of good wind and you will have forgotten all about it.

Spot on.

Nothing (except for light wind which wont work) is different on a super short board.

BUT, you have to change your muscle memory to fit the lack of nose so to speak, when starting.
And it is way more sensitive, the front-back foot weight distribution.

It will come very fast, nothing special to it, just get used to it, and you will soon start just fine.

Dont "overthink" it - just practice till you get it :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”