Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Short Foilboard water start tips?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Short Foilboard water start tips?

Postby purdyd » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:02 pm

I'm appx 200lbs My new board is 3' and the foil is a 1200 normally use a Strutless 9m. I had ZERO luck waterstarting it on my first session. Eye opening. Everything I've done before didn't work. I biased my front foot heavily to prevent the larger (to me) foil from breaching on my starts but it just wanted to shoot up. Or when I did get up over the board I'd pearl the nose and sink.
That sounds like the foil is too far forward .
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post (total 2):
trnsprt (Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 pm) • cglazier (Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:13 pm

purdyd wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:02 pm
I'm appx 200lbs My new board is 3' and the foil is a 1200 normally use a Strutless 9m. I had ZERO luck waterstarting it on my first session. Eye opening. Everything I've done before didn't work. I biased my front foot heavily to prevent the larger (to me) foil from breaching on my starts but it just wanted to shoot up. Or when I did get up over the board I'd pearl the nose and sink.
That sounds like the foil is too far forward .
I went from a 128 cm board to a new 112 cm one. My waterstarts with the new board were a struggle but I figured I just needed practice since everything felt fine once I was up foiling. But my waterstarts weren't getting any easier so I moved my mast back about 5cm. That really helped.
:wink:
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
trnsprt (Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:59 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

StellaBlu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Im a foiling novice, but I had some similar issues and my suggestion is start slower / gentler and figure out the timing / balance. Figure out how little you can dive the kite to get you upright and get the board planing. You want to dive the kite JUST enough, not more. Once you are balanced and centered, then start to shift weight to rise on the foil. Don't try to pop right up onto the foil before you are balanced.

When I transitioned to a smaller board I found I was diving the kite too much to get started and I wasn't properly centered/balanced. A bigger and higher volume board can make you a bit lazy in this respect. You need to be a bit more disciplined on a smaller board, but you should be able to figure it out after a couple sessions. Once you figure it out, you can speed everything up into a single motion, but slow it down and break up the steps until then.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
trnsprt (Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 pm)

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.

Postby fluidity » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 pm

Chect the stabiliser setup too. check the glide of the board above water with you off it, I'm only a newbie but I have good success with tail angle set so the front of the board only lifts very slowly on a test glide. People who complain about too much lift when going fast probably don't have their stabiliser angle right.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
trnsprt (Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”