JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Soul lines broken?

Postby JoseTumaco » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:56 am

I bought a new Soul 12m kite in november 2020. Really love it, but Today 4 lines broke while I was foiling in 12 knots. See photos, I suspect yellow line broke first and then the others. I am surprised because I have only used the kite about 25 days and 90% foiling in light wind, 10/12 knots. Is this normal in Soul kites? What do you sugest me to do? I am worried this can happen again with other lines, because I kite alone in Colombia (Where I live) at open sea. I kite 4 years ago and never a line broke in such new conditions. Any advice is welcome please.
Attachments
IMG-20210123-WA0022.jpg
My spot in Tumaco Colombia
20210205_220431.jpg
20210205_215750.jpg
20210205_215643.jpg
20210205_215559.jpg

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Re: Soul lines broken?

Postby direnc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 am

Very unusual, but I have an idea on how it happened. It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other. You can see the fraying on the leader line labels on the second picture. Definitely a result of rubbing.

BTW I have experienced something strange with the Soul 12 three times now. Even though the lines are rigged right, during packing and unpacking the bridle may get a twist/snag around the leader lines. It’s difficult to see, but you can feel the rubbing each other on the bar. Shaking the lines may fix it but not that easy. I have had to land the kite to sort it out. Only to see there’s nothing wrong. Just landing and sorting out the bridle is usually enough, or just reconnect the lines to be sure.

Never had this happen with other Flysurfers or Ozone’s tho... But seems to be a thing for me with the Soul.
These users thanked the author direnc for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:56 am

Shoot fs an email, although it may take a minute but they can warranty that. Your leader line looks super tattered where it marks left right, front back. I have had one yellow line sheath rip while the cord remained in tact, which I still cannot explain, and I had one line loop come undone and the loop came apart on my 15m. The sheath breaking was probably something I did on the launch or land. As poster above mentioned you prob had the bad boy rigged funny which caused rubbing, I fly my soul on snow hundreds of feet above the ground and trust the lines very much. If you need immediate parts you can always hit up flysurfer usa if you are state side, he is awesome and getting replacement parts (from experience)
These users thanked the author RomeUtah for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm)

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:56 am

Please check also your pulleys. For me it looks like that the initial break was the yellow mixer-line. It looks worn out and discolored.

Greets
Micha
These users thanked the author BalsaMichel for the post:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Very usual,

in dirty, sandy, salty conditions and maybe not the highest level of maintanance, the yellow pulley line can react sensible and may break even after 25 days in worst case. In best conditions it is possible to have 100 sessions and more.
It is important to wind up the lines inclusive the mixer on the bar and have this way at least at the end of every 10th session a look especially on those line. If they are discollored as visible in the pic, which can be caused by letting a salty bar and mixer dry in the bag, again and again, so the salt can cumulate inside the lines. Salt and dirt in the lines will accelerate wear drasticly. It is possible to wind up the mixer and the bar and let the satly bar outside the bag, to at least some times wash it with fresh water after 2th - 5th sessions.
If a yellow pulley line breaks the shown secondary damages are very normal. Breaking the line will cause the profile colapse to increase its champer drasticly by shock and so also increase load over normal breaking strenght of other lines.

To avoid this handle sensible yellow pulley lines with more care and replace them, when worn out with the replacement lines you find in your bag, as all described in the manual.

And as Micha said also check your pulleys, if they run free and after 100 sessions it can also be good to change those if they start getting play and or often found blocked by sand.

And as it is a common combined question in the context:
It is not very likely that you will find better pulley lines, those from other manufactures might look different or thicker which doesn't mean that they are better in every sense. As I remember FS has used a minimum of 4 different types of pulley lines inbetween 2001 - 2009. Since round about 2010 they use those yellow lines as they showed of to have in general the best behaviour they found during their research.

P.S. this is the Hydrofoil not the foil kite forums section
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Little flags look to have a lot of wear. I would describe this as a very used kite.

The break in the front line connector is unusual in that it is in the part of the line where the load is 1/2. A break in the splice might indicate a workmanship problem but this is not the case here. A break in the the main part of the line where it receives the full load would be more likely as well.

In my experience a SPL pulley line break causes that side of the wing to collapse but usually can still ride to shore.

But the front line breaking is usually a cause of more catastrophic breaks in the kite.

My hypothesis is the front line connection is worn by sand or cut by debris on the beach and the front line failure caused the rest. Crossed lines causing wear also a possibility.

I would look closely for broken internal straps and also other stretched and shocked bridle lines.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm

direnc wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 am
Very unusual, but I have an idea on how it happened. It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other. You can see the fraying on the leader line labels on the second picture. Definitely a result of rubbing.

BTW I have experienced something strange with the Soul 12 three times now. Even though the lines are rigged right, during packing and unpacking the bridle may get a twist/snag around the leader lines. It’s difficult to see, but you can feel the rubbing each other on the bar. Shaking the lines may fix it but not that easy. I have had to land the kite to sort it out. Only to see there’s nothing wrong. Just landing and sorting out the bridle is usually enough, or just reconnect the lines to be sure.

Never had this happen with other Flysurfers or Ozone’s tho... But seems to be a thing for me with the Soul.
Thanks for your advice, very important for me!, please can you explane me this: "It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other". Wich lines could be in this case?
Thanks a lot.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm
Thanks for your advice, very important for me!, please can you explane me this: "It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other". Wich lines could be in this case?
Thanks a lot.
In my case it front and back lines on the left side were wrapped around each other. You see those worn little flags on your second photo. Those flags do not touch each other or anything else during flight, so no reason for them to be worn like that, unless the the lines were rubbing against each other. You should be able to feel the rubbing when you pull the bar. Ever noticed a different feel when you pulled one side of the bar?

Make sure your your bridle is free of twists or tangles.
These users thanked the author direnc for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:54 pm)

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:46 pm

BalsaMichel wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:56 am
Please check also your pulleys. For me it looks like that the initial break was the yellow mixer-line. It looks worn out and discolored.

Greets
Micha
[/quote

Yah, easy for pulleys to get stuck with sand and then lines wear out fast. Check them every sesh and pour water over them to flush out sand.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 pm

by looking at the pic with the broken yellow SPL-line I can see that on the SPL-line you have a 20 - 30 cm of more black color, this could indicate that the pulley is jammed/stuck, a stuck pulley will wear down the SPL-line in a few sessions.
Depending in the beach conditions (wet fine sticky sand etc) you have to check your pulleys quite often.
On my local beach (salty water fine sand) I try to keep my pulleys dry or else they will eat sand and get stuck. to make sure I check the pulleys before the session so they are not stuck, takes abut 30s to check all of them, at the same time I can see if there is any Wear and tear and if any SPL-lines needs a replacement in the near future.

Return to “Hydrofoil”