Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul lines broken?

Postby darippah » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 am

direnc wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 am
Very unusual, but I have an idea on how it happened. It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other. You can see the fraying on the leader line labels on the second picture. Definitely a result of rubbing.

BTW I have experienced something strange with the Soul 12 three times now. Even though the lines are rigged right, during packing and unpacking the bridle may get a twist/snag around the leader lines. It’s difficult to see, but you can feel the rubbing each other on the bar. Shaking the lines may fix it but not that easy. I have had to land the kite to sort it out. Only to see there’s nothing wrong. Just landing and sorting out the bridle is usually enough, or just reconnect the lines to be sure.

Never had this happen with other Flysurfers or Ozone’s tho... But seems to be a thing for me with the Soul.
I get this with the Sonic 2 as well!

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:09 pm

darippah wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 am
direnc wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 am
Very unusual, but I have an idea on how it happened. It was probably not rigged right, and lines rubbed against each other. You can see the fraying on the leader line labels on the second picture. Definitely a result of rubbing.

BTW I have experienced something strange with the Soul 12 three times now. Even though the lines are rigged right, during packing and unpacking the bridle may get a twist/snag around the leader lines. It’s difficult to see, but you can feel the rubbing each other on the bar. Shaking the lines may fix it but not that easy. I have had to land the kite to sort it out. Only to see there’s nothing wrong. Just landing and sorting out the bridle is usually enough, or just reconnect the lines to be sure.

Never had this happen with other Flysurfers or Ozone’s tho... But seems to be a thing for me with the Soul.
I get this with the Sonic 2 as well!
Make sure when you run out your mixer and lines you spread the front and rear lines down past the stainless attach rings. It’s the rings causing the problem and doing this will fix the issue. Was having the same issue until I worked out the problem.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post (total 2):
direnc (Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53 pm) • JakeFarley (Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:43 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mashimisha
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75 Kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Tablas Island, Philippines
Nitinat Lake, Canada
Style: Freeride and boosting
Gear: Soul 9m
Soul 12m
Sonic 15m
Radical 6 (134)
Danyboard directional
Been thanked: 0

Postby mashimisha » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 am

One of my front lines broke today just as I was about to jump. The lines appeared to be in very good condition. In fact, I did a short mixer test ten minutes before the incident.
Essentially, the splicing used to form the loop at the end of the line came apart. Its as though the splicing unwound. I brought it in for some local guys to fix. Fingers crossed.

This appears to have been a workmanship issue. How could a spliced/sewn connection come apart like that?

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:22 pm

mashimisha wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 am
One of my front lines broke today just as I was about to jump. The lines appeared to be in very good condition. In fact, I did a short mixer test ten minutes before the incident.
Essentially, the splicing used to form the loop at the end of the line came apart. Its as though the splicing unwound. I brought it in for some local guys to fix. Fingers crossed.

This appears to have been a workmanship issue. How could a spliced/sewn connection come apart like that?
Not even a non stitched splice will come apart so it must be something else that happen.

Do you have any pictures of the loop?

mashimisha
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75 Kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Tablas Island, Philippines
Nitinat Lake, Canada
Style: Freeride and boosting
Gear: Soul 9m
Soul 12m
Sonic 15m
Radical 6 (134)
Danyboard directional
Been thanked: 0

Postby mashimisha » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:28 am

Not even a non stitched splice will come apart so it must be something else that happen.

Do you have any pictures of the loop?
[/quote]

I am afraid not. I brought it to be fixed right away. Essentially the end of the line was frayed where it had torn out of the weave.
The local guys restitched it and claim that it will handle 30 knots.

I sure hope so

Return to “Hydrofoil”