deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil in the lines nightmare!

Postby deniska » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 am

heavy alu rigs with shovel type low aspect beginner wings tend to do this more frequently..
It was pretty scary when I was learning.. the alu foil tried to chase and kill me a number of times..
Could not think of going out w/o a helmet.
Fast forward a few years, with my carbon race rig I don't think I recently considered wearing a helmet event when going pretty fast and bosting airs..
Pretty sure its a combination of learning to jump off AND lighter rig with higher aspect not chasing and not popping out of the water on a crash...
GDPNYC-D5C_5882.jpg

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenight11 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 pm

Hi,
I think it doesn't has a relation with the gear you are using. In two years it happend 3-4 times, that my board+foil landed in the lines and if I remember well,it happened mostly while starting and beeing in the water. Either in pretty low wind and the kite coming down in lulls or in very strong wind and doing a mistake with the bar while trying to sort the strapless board.
Thankfully, since now I had a lot of luck ) with sorting out the foil in between the lines.
In strong wind I quick released because the kite started to loop which was really frightening; during the other cases I kept hooked.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:45 am

Yeah I think it's how you fall off. I remember being chased by foils, never happens anymore and my gear is mostly the same. I think you get the feeling of when you're going to crash and being able to compensate when you do...

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 am

I know a guy who always wears a helmet even though he is very skilled.

He chipped a tooth riding in some heavy shore-break, fell off and the foil went down the wave and caught him just right... In the teeth.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:26 am

Yeah ... I alway wear a helmet. It has worked two or three times when I got hit in helmet. Last incident the board hit me in the side of the face near my eye. It happened (I think) because I was looking around or my board. The answer is to not to look for your board, concentrate on the kite ... & that goes for dropping the kite & getting the lines tangled on the foil. Alway focus on flying the kite, using it to pull clear of the board. When you're pushing your skills you are much more likely to drop the kite accidentally - it doesn't happen often when you're more competent ... until you move on to trying to master the next skill. :-?

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:26 am
Yeah ... I alway wear a helmet. It has worked two or three times when I got hit in helmet. Last incident the board hit me in the side of the face near my eye. It happened (I think) because I was looking around or my board. The answer is to not to look for your board, concentrate on the kite ... & that goes for dropping the kite & getting the lines tangled on the foil. Alway focus on flying the kite, using it to pull clear of the board. When you're pushing your skills you are much more likely to drop the kite accidentally - it doesn't happen often when you're more competent ... until you move on to trying to master the next skill. :-?
Yes you are correct. Since writing ive probably had 20 sessions and im consciously trying to fall off and steer the board away and keep the kite high. Hopefully its working 🤞😁

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:18 pm

What were your strategy when foil was tangled in between lines? Keeping kite down, quickreleasing or other ideas?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 pm

get the foil out F***ING FAST

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

kitenight11 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:18 pm
What were your strategy when foil was tangled in between lines? Keeping kite down, quickreleasing or other ideas?
Sounds silly but when it's happening to me I can never see under water how the foil is trapped.If was wearing goggles I'd be able to see what was going on and in tangle things. I've even thought of carrying some swim goggles but it's not practical 😁

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

These users thanked the author Milko0k for the post:
richy-c (Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:11 am)
Rating: 3.03%