Aguieira (ESP)
Sabon (ESP)
Cesantes (ESP)
Pobra Caramiñal (ESP)
Lingunde (ESP)
Barraña (ESP)
Razo (ESP)
Style: Freestyle / kite Foil / Big Air
Gear: Airush Razor 9m & 11m v9,13m v10 (freestyle)
Airush Livewire Team v8 140x42
Airush Ultra Team 12m / Airush One 9m v2 (Foil)
Slingshot Phantasm PFH 581
North Sonar CF95 / MA 850 v2
North Mini Scoop 2024
North Orbit PRO 2024 9m (Big Air)
North Atmos Carbon 2024 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Fone Mirage Carbon 1000 (opinions)

Postby IDAVIS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi

somebody ride with the FONE Mirage Carbon 1000?

https://www.f-one.world/product/mirage-carbon-1000/

its good option for carving? for light wind? top speed aprox?

thanks

Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cleethorpes
Style: Bad
Gear: Hobo of the sea - mixture of anything I can beg, steal or borrow
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fone Mirage Carbon 1000 - (opinions)

Postby 01007653 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Love.

Used to have cabrinha double agent then the f-one ic6 850 - both were nice

Now I have an 800 and 1000 - carrying to the beach is a dream, super light. The 800 is quick but still super stable, the 1000 is a touch slower but amazing for carving.

Not sure about the top speed - don't wear a GPS thingy - but quicker than the ic6

p.s and it looks lush
Attachments
DSC_0377.jpg

Rubenvlc
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rubenvlc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:45 pm

You will not regret!!! :D :thumb:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:05 am

I use a Mirage 1000 for Wingfoiling! Carves really nice without loosing speed and glides very well for it's size. At 1000cm2 it is faster than the IC6 850 probably due to a thinner profile and smaller stab.

frequentflyer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 190
Local Beach: gorge
Favorite Beaches: gorge, SA, brazil
Style: foil/surf
Gear: neos

Postby frequentflyer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am

I've had a handful of sessions on the mirage 1000 as well as the ic6 950. The 1000 is excellent. It's fast enough--no idea on top speed. It can also go pretty slow, but needs bit more speed to get on foil and maintain stability than the ic6 950 or other larger wings. The 1000 is super stable if you keep it at speed, but can outrun swells and makes certain things so fast. It's made toe side roll tacks effortless, but has also made my weakside roll tacks and toeside roll tacks less consistent, seemingly due to speed. It also feels fast enough that foot switches on the roll tack need to be preconscious, which is something I'm not capable of yet.

I'm VERY curious to try the gravity 1200 before pulling the trigger myself. Any comparisons out there? I wonder if the 1200 would slow things down in a good way without stunting progress on foot switches on rolltacks for example, where it seems like speed is my friend.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am

I've ridden the Mirage Carbon 1000 as my main kitefoil (was on the previous Mirage 1000 v2 before that) for about 9 months and if I had to sum it up, I'd say that there is nothing different I want from my kitefoil, it does everything I need and I'm still able to push myself and learn new skills and tricks every session. For me this means I'm not lusting after my next foil, thinking something else will make me better, I'm just focused on enjoying my foiling now.

I like the fact that I can push it hard and get decent speed from it - it's never gonna revival a 500/600 sqcm2 performance wing but when you want it too, can still put the pedal down and have some fun. On the other side, you can ride pretty slow, so for learning new tricks it's really great as you make can mistakes and muscle through staying on the foil.

One of the big step-ups from the previous generation is the new construction. Having half the fuselage incorporated into the front wing means you get a super-stiff plane but also it is so much lighter. Pair the Mirage Carbon 1000 plane with a carbon mast and carbon pocket board and you have a serious light setup. It also can take a pounding - I'm over 100kg and ride my foil nearly every day, jump it 40/50 times a session and it still looks like new.

@frequentflyer - I used to have Gravity Carbon 1200 as well. This is a very good foil too - I'd tried the previous 1200 and it didn't really work as a kitefoil, but this v3 model is spot on. It is a light slower than the Mirage Carbon 1000, but that is to be expected due to the extra surface area and slight lower aspect design (thicker profile too) but again you can push it and get it going pretty fast. The big difference is that carves even better, you can push it through the corners so hard and it just grips. And at slower speeds you can really kick it around tight. The choice between the 1000 and 1200, for me, would rest on the following:
- If you like riding slow and more chlll and want the extra stability then the 1200 is the way to go
- If you want some extra speed, both on the straight and around the corners then 1000 is the way to go
- If you ride in lumpy or wavey conditions you might find the 1200 has some advantages
- In flat water the 1000 becomes advantageous
- The 1200 is a good cross over for wingfoiling for heavier riders in strong winds or intermediate lighter weight riders not looking to ride so powered up
- The 1000 is a great advanced wingfoil for lighter to medium weight riders (I've winged with it but I have to be real powered up, shame because its so much fun).

I should also say, I am an F-ONE Ambassador in the UK, so take my *biased* views any way you like but I ride F-ONE primarily because of the insane foil line up, foiling is my main discipline so I want to have foils I love riding and don't hold me back. If F-ONE didn't live up to that then I'd ride something else.

Paskite
Rare Poster
Style: Foil/Surf
Gear: F-One Mirage 1000/Escape 630
Pocket carbon 120/Carbon mast HM85
Mitu ProFlex 5"8
Ocean Rodeo Roam-A 12m and 8m
Ocean Rodeo Crave HL 10m
Slingshot Rally 6m
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Been thanked: 0

Postby Paskite » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Dear all, Thanks for these reviews, it helps a lot for a future choice;)
I was in Fuerteventura last week and discussed with a rider who is main choice in the phantom carbon 1080...for both kite and wing surfing. He loves it..Is anyone has been able to compare side to side Mirage 1000 and Phantom 1080 for kitefoiling?

All the best

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 pm

I haven't but know someone who has. They are pretty close, 1000 carves better and is slightly faster, 1080 has slightly better take off speed and glide.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Paskite (Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

frequentflyer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 190
Local Beach: gorge
Favorite Beaches: gorge, SA, brazil
Style: foil/surf
Gear: neos

Postby frequentflyer » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am
I've ridden the Mirage Carbon 1000 as my main kitefoil (was on the previous Mirage 1000 v2 before that) for about 9 months and if I had to sum it up, I'd say that there is nothing different I want from my kitefoil, it does everything I need and I'm still able to push myself and learn new skills and tricks every session. For me this means I'm not lusting after my next foil, thinking something else will make me better, I'm just focused on enjoying my foiling now.

I like the fact that I can push it hard and get decent speed from it - it's never gonna revival a 500/600 sqcm2 performance wing but when you want it too, can still put the pedal down and have some fun. On the other side, you can ride pretty slow, so for learning new tricks it's really great as you make can mistakes and muscle through staying on the foil.

One of the big step-ups from the previous generation is the new construction. Having half the fuselage incorporated into the front wing means you get a super-stiff plane but also it is so much lighter. Pair the Mirage Carbon 1000 plane with a carbon mast and carbon pocket board and you have a serious light setup. It also can take a pounding - I'm over 100kg and ride my foil nearly every day, jump it 40/50 times a session and it still looks like new.

@frequentflyer - I used to have Gravity Carbon 1200 as well. This is a very good foil too - I'd tried the previous 1200 and it didn't really work as a kitefoil, but this v3 model is spot on. It is a light slower than the Mirage Carbon 1000, but that is to be expected due to the extra surface area and slight lower aspect design (thicker profile too) but again you can push it and get it going pretty fast. The big difference is that carves even better, you can push it through the corners so hard and it just grips. And at slower speeds you can really kick it around tight. The choice between the 1000 and 1200, for me, would rest on the following:
- If you like riding slow and more chlll and want the extra stability then the 1200 is the way to go
- If you want some extra speed, both on the straight and around the corners then 1000 is the way to go
- If you ride in lumpy or wavey conditions you might find the 1200 has some advantages
- In flat water the 1000 becomes advantageous
- The 1200 is a good cross over for wingfoiling for heavier riders in strong winds or intermediate lighter weight riders not looking to ride so powered up
- The 1000 is a great advanced wingfoil for lighter to medium weight riders (I've winged with it but I have to be real powered up, shame because its so much fun).

I should also say, I am an F-ONE Ambassador in the UK, so take my *biased* views any way you like but I ride F-ONE primarily because of the insane foil line up, foiling is my main discipline so I want to have foils I love riding and don't hold me back. If F-ONE didn't live up to that then I'd ride something else.
No surprises here, but thanks so much for the reply. With my eyes on learning wing foiling this summer, I think you may have made up my mind for me. It will be hard to see my friends pull away on their 1000s though...

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:48 am

What speed does the Mirage 1000 do? I'm on a SS Hoverglide with Apollo 60 (=slightly smaller 633 model) but that tops out at about 30km/h. Starting to crave for a bit more, but I'm in the middle of relentless footswitch practice in choppy windswell waters, so don't want to give up too much of a stable platform. How would that compare?

I think the hydrodynamic advantage of the F-one carbon setup should already acount for a bit improvement over the Hoverglide. As Rob said; the F-one monobloc construction looks one of the best in industry right now.

Return to “Hydrofoil”